From Software Games

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

There's enough chatter from @Mr_Danger and @Merzbow in WHAT PLAY YOU so I wanted to talk about them all here.

I only started playing them in September, more detail here:

and since then I've finished Dark Souls 2 which wasn't as satisfying and frankly outstayed it's welcome. Still great but it pales next to DS1.

And now I'm, I dunno a third of the way through DS3? I'm a relative newbie to the series so I'll spoiler my thoughts.

Spoiler

I was so happy to see somewhere called Firelink Shrine again. And they seemed to have made it a PROPER hub with a smith (Andre!), a shop, etc.

It's goddamn gorgeous. The character detail, the environments, the draw distance. Wonderful.  (I suspect because this was made for PS4 rather than being remakes of last gen).

It's fast and fluid, combat is nippy and enemies attack very fast.

The first castle.... ehhh. It's a bit too mazey for a first area. I was constantly getting lost in the identikit rooms and the fact there are at least two battlement areas that are mirrored (I think they are opposite battlements) with a bonfire is odd. A bit unnecessary.

I don't need yet another death mechanic... why reinvent it again?! I mean it's the same as DS1 but with completely different names.

I think I've gone form ambivalence to one of my favourite series of all time very quickly.

Any thoughts on Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Sekiro, Bloodborne? Favourite videos? I enjoy IllusoryWall's many technical breakdowns and ymfah's odd challenges.

• Paid Members

I've played them all except Demon Souls (and a bunch fo inspired-by's like Lords of the Fallen, Surge 1 & 2, Nioh etc) and Bloodborne is far and away my favourite, and the one where it really clicked for me how to have fun with the games.

I 'm mad into that kind of Victoriana, Lovecraft cosmic horror vibe in general, and removing the shield from the outset forced me to stop doing my "Wear the heaviest armour & hold the biggest shield and turtle up" playstyle and forced me to genuinely start being reactive & fluid witht he combat and the entire genre opens up from there.

I've just gotten off Dark Souls 2 a couple of minutes ago, Reddit has a yearly "Return To..." for all of the FromSoft 'Souls games and you just start a new character with the main thing being co-op or invasions, just getting the online portion of the game full again for a few weeks.

I think Bloodborne is next in March, we could get some UKFF beast hunting going on. It's good for pissing about with mad builds as no-one is taking it 100% seriously, just a couple of weeks of fun.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I got the first Dark Souls on my 360 when I had no Internet and didn't realise what a part the online played in it. It wasn't a good time. I also started on a Souls-like on my PS4 when I had some pretty bad analogue drift going on, which was also a bad time. 

Funnily enough I was thinking about a FromSoft thread to save me stinking up the gaming thread with all my questions every time I start a new game. 

Still a relative noob in spite of the numerous hours I put in to Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Playing DS1 handheld was a blast. The lack of pause was always a massive barrier to me in starting the series as the chances of me sitting down for more than 5 minutes without being called away is slim to none but once I realised I could do 10 minute runs here and there in between more concerted efforts really helped. Still a few “wait a minute!” Shouted through gritted teeth like.

The thing that really cemented the series’ place in my heart is the emotional connection I have to the games. It’s no coincidence that after my older brother passed away I found myself lost in Dark Souls, faced with an impossible task chipping away at it bit by bit until there was light (or no light)at the end of the tunnel. When struggling with the loss of my younger brother it was Bloodborne I turned to. Some people lose themselves in booze and drugs, for me it’s really hard games and online wiki guides.

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

The lack of pause was always a massive barrier

Oh fuck yes. A real disrespect of your time. Only this afternoon the doorbell went mid-boss and I had to just let my character die 😭 

And I fucking hate being invaded PVP. I'm trying to do the story, leave me alone! I did successfully repel my first invader yesterday, I was on the edge of my seat as they whirlwind attacked me to drain my stamina. But he kept rolling at terrible times and I was able to punish him. I finally clipped him when he overdid it on the estus. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I already use Blue Sentinel to block cheaters but fuck, just looking up this vulnerability and it may effect more than just DS3.

Yes my guess is they are prepatching for Elden Ring. 

• 3 weeks later...

Every now and then I’ll get stuck on a piss easy boss that I know how to beat and seems simple enough but I just keep getting fucked. Demon’s Souls Fools Idol was the latest of these. Not so much the boss as it is the run through to the boss. The Prison of Hope is easy enough as it is but it’s a good 3 minute run from start to boss and that’s not counting getting wedged between plagued undead and those Zoidberg magic fuckers.

Up to the Maneater in Upper Latria now. What the fuck is white world tendency, how can I get it and why am I only learning of this mechanic now after pumping over 100 plus hours in to these twatting games?