From Software Games

Onyx2

35 minutes ago, Duke said:

After owning it for a year or so, I've finally started trying to get my head round Dark Souls 1. Initially, I did not get it. I think the first time I got it was killing the Taurus demon on the ramparts (not realising I could climb up and kill the archers on the tower first). I killed the demon and died at the exact same time. I've not got much further since then, just activated the shortcut past the bridge dragon and trying to find a new bonfire. I keep accidentally running into Black Knights and running screaming. At some point I'm going to have to fight one, but every time I do I get squashed like David Flair 

There’s a neat little cheese on that Black Knight at the Undead Burg where you can run him off a ledge, it’s a little tricky if you’re not used to the janky movements of the game but if you’re lucky like me you’ll get an overpowered weapon that will slash your way through a good portion of the game without you having to worry about ‘getting good’ for a while. 

If anyone's starting a new game of Dark Souls 1 after previously having trouble with it, Google how to get the Drake Sword early and it'll make things loads easier.

Made some decent progress with Elden Ring over the last couple of days after getting a +8 rapier as a quest reward from an NPC which has been serving me very well indeed. It's got me through pretty much all of Limgrave and the Weeping Peninsula, as well as Stormveil Castle and the first couple of main bosses. Really enjoying it very much, but I'm still not 100% sold on the lack of direction. I've been as thorough as possible with exploring everywhere but I'm not mega keen on moving on to the next area without any way of knowing if I might have missed anything.

27 minutes ago, Duke said:

How much should I be focusing on parrying Vs just dodging stuff? Or does it depend on the enemy?

I’d say master the parry as early as possible as it’s a pretty essential skill to finish the game depending on your play style and build. Dodging is as vitally important so by all means put some points in to dexterity if that’s how you want to play. I was a bit of a tank with a big old black knight sword so learnt to parry pretty late on but I still chunky rolled my way through plenty of encounters. I went straight on to Bloodborne and that parry skill I’d picked up was invaluable.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Black Knights are good for practising backstabs and parrying,  you'll die a fair bit so make sure you're not carrying many souls but seeing as a few of them are so close to a bonfire it's worth spending time doing it.

Following this advice, as good as it is, caused me to throw my switch across the room 

• Awards Moderator

I was starting to explore as much of the Elden Ring map as I could, well I got my wish. I was about as far south as I could go and

Spoiler

Some cunting chest at the top of a tower teleports me literally twice as far north than I had ever been. I'm now trapped somewhere called "capital city" at the top of another tower, with no way down and a fucking enormous boss similar to Demon's Tower Knight to defeat. Fuck! I've tried about 10 times so far and not quite made it. Even worse it's so extreme north it seems few players have got there so leaving a summon generates no results. 

30 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I was starting to explore as much of the Elden Ring map as I could, well I got my wish. I was about as far south as I could go and

Hide contents

Some cunting chest at the top of a tower teleports me literally twice as far north than I had ever been. I'm now trapped somewhere called "capital city" at the top of another tower, with no way down and a fucking enormous boss similar to Demon's Tower Knight to defeat. Fuck! I've tried about 10 times so far and not quite made it. Even worse it's so extreme north it seems few players have got there so leaving a summon generates no results. 

Spoiler

There should be a site of grace near by, sit at it and you can teleport out. (may need to change the time of day to night, it's a tad finicky.)

I killed the fucker, it just took a charged R2 to each leg in turn and it'd fall over leaving it's stomach open for a critical. There's a chest by him too which you can sneak over to, it has a great HP replenishing seal.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I'm almost 28 hours in over the weekend and feeling the opposite. The Ubisoft burn happens to me when I see how much there is to do and it all feels so samey. Everywhere I'm going so far feels delightfully different and is giving me fresh challenges and making me change up my approach.

Will see if that continues but so far it's been changing up perfectly to keep me hooked.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's fair. There's a lot of tiny dungeons kicking about that are very similar and feature variations on bosses. I've been enjoying those but also I'm a little freak for Souls games. I think the fact that they're all optional discoveries makes me kinder towards them than if they were all just icons on a map to be completed one after the other, but I could see how you would find those a drudge.

• Paid Members
On 2/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, Duke said:

Following this advice, as good as it is, caused me to throw my switch across the room 

Having now patched the hole I made in my wall from the aforementioned switch throw (not a joke), I decided to cheese that black knight. I then killed the one at the tower entrance to the parish by luring him into fire. He killed me but couldn't withstand the flames and gave up the ghost before my death animation finished. From that point I was in the zone for a bit, other than fleeing the black knight in the church itself by escaping down a lift (and then back up again to lamp him one before fleeing back down my lift like a perverse twist on whack a mole). I managed to get up to roof, one shot the gargoyles (thanks to help from a summon, wasn't 100% what that did when I did it, but it helped) and accidentallyed my way into the tail axe while I was doing so. Feeling pretty proud of myself, I went down to lower undead burg where I was promptly mugged by some gutter children. Feel like I'm getting somewhere though! 

Edited by Duke