From Software Games

Onyx2

16 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Every now and then I’ll get stuck on a piss easy boss that I know how to beat and seems simple enough but I just keep getting fucked. Demon’s Souls Fools Idol was the latest of these. Not so much the boss as it is the run through to the boss. The Prison of Hope is easy enough as it is but it’s a good 3 minute run from start to boss and that’s not counting getting wedged between plagued undead and those Zoidberg magic fuckers.

Up to the Maneater in Upper Latria now. What the fuck is white world tendency, how can I get it and why am I only learning of this mechanic now after pumping over 100 plus hours in to these twatting games?

You get it from beating bosses and not dying in human form (dying in it puts it closer to black) in a world, it was a fucked mechanic in the original and could only really be used when playing offline. I'm not sure if it works exactly the same in the remake but yeah, it's fucked.

Edited by Merzbow

2 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

The launch edition of Elden Ring was back in stock on Amazon earlier so I bit the bullet. £45.

Any idea why this game is somewhat cheap compared to the launch price of recent AAA games?

It's a previous gen title and doesn't exactly use cutting edge tech, it's pretty much the Dark Souls 3 engine with some sprucing up. Which is no bad thing, the game's art style makes it look better than many more current games but that could be a reason why it's cheaper.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

The launch edition of Elden Ring was back in stock on Amazon earlier so I bit the bullet. £45.

Any idea why this game is somewhat cheap compared to the launch price of recent AAA games?

Aaaaargh don't tell me stuff like that. I never preorder games as they're down to tuppence in a couple of weeks. But I'm not sure I can resist.

EDIT: And you absolute bastard I've preordered it now.

EDIT2: And call me an absolute mug <pause for chorus> but it's not explicit what the preorder bonuses are? Looks like a gesture and a digital guide but the photo has a bunch of other stuff in.

EDIT3 hashtag madlad: "Exclusive art cards: you’ll get three art cards depicting scenery from the Lands Between.
Exclusive woven patch: allowing you to bring the rune with you wherever you want
Exclusive stickers: these three stickers feature in-game emblem patterns.
Exclusive poster: it features a hero from the past and measures in at 393x334mm.
Digital Adventure Guide: full of handy information that will come in handy when you first set out in your adventure in Elden Ring.
Bonus Gesture: this unlocks an in-game gesture called “The Ring”. This can be unlocked in all versions of the game, but the Launch Edition sees you start out with it."

Edited by Onyx2

A really good mostly spoiler free video here, it's also a good video for those that haven't played a Soulsborne before and are interested.

This is going to be one of the top reviewed games ever made, isn't it? 97/100 at 45 reviews on the PS5 right now, is that even better than Zelda BOTW?

Edited by Merzbow

Elden Ring arrived early so I've been able to have a couple of hours on it this evening. A couple of hours might as well be about five seconds in terms of how long the game is, but as far as first impressions go, it's very much Dark Souls crossed with Skyrim (possibly slightly more Oblivion than Skyrim) with a bit of Breath of the Wild thrown in. I'm currently at an enemy camp where I'm trying to sneak around and quietly backstab everyone, but it's difficult to know where the enemies are when you haven't got X-ray vision like what loads of other games give you these days so I keep accidentally being spotted and chased by a load of guards. The early enemies aren't that tough at all, but bugger me, there's no chance if you get surrounded by five or six of them. Good fun though, very keen to get back to it!

Ashes are so good when you're surrounded, I like using the pack of dogs one as they run about and split up the group.

It's wild just how much co-op there is before the game is even released digitally, I've been helping a bunch of people kill bosses already. They've made it far easier to get summoned, too.

The first "proper" boss is doing my head in. The lad at the castle who you fight on a little bridge thing with no sides so it's dead easy to get knocked off (or roll off by accident). I've been levelling up for about 6 hours so I feel like I should he strong enough to beat him by now, but I'm barely doing any damage at all. Also, probably not many people will be affected by this, but he shares his name with the Cheeky Girls' mum / manager (Margit) which I'm finding terribly distracting. 

I'm having a nightmare with the controls after playing Horizon Forbidden West for most of the last week, too. In Horizon, you press square to crouch, and I'm now so used to it that I keep pressing square to crouch in Elden Ring. But square in Elden Ring uses whatever's in your currently selected inventory slot, which means I just keep wasting flasks. For fuck's sake.

He's a bitch, I'm mainly playing ranged until I get a really good magic sword so I just shot him in the first half and summoned my dogs to keep his wilder second phase occupied.

I'm having control issues with the horse riding because the left stick button is set to dismount and I'm a bit rough on the old controller so will accidently press it from time to time.

I’ve started as Vagabond because as much as I love the soul arrow on Demon’s Souls I miss getting in close and tearing shit up with a big heavy chopper (quote me).  Vagabond seems like a good general build to do a bit of everything. I’m already feeling the FOMO of playing as a Samurai though and might restart the game. So much choice.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

After owning it for a year or so, I've finally started trying to get my head round Dark Souls 1. Initially, I did not get it. I think the first time I got it was killing the Taurus demon on the ramparts (not realising I could climb up and kill the archers on the tower first). I killed the demon and died at the exact same time. I've not got much further since then, just activated the shortcut past the bridge dragon and trying to find a new bonfire. I keep accidentally running into Black Knights and running screaming. At some point I'm going to have to fight one, but every time I do I get squashed like David Flair