Learning to Drive and Buying a Car

gmoney

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Driving automatic really is so much easier, but I find the experience more fun when I'm in a manual. But I also find painting Games Workshop figures while drinking stouts fun, so maybe I'm not the best person to judge by.

There we go. Manual drivers = Warhammer fans. Case closed 

I didn't learn to drive until I was in my late 20s and it took me 18 months from the start to passing my test at the second attempt. It was the hardest thing I've ever learnt. I used to get so nervous before lessons. I once stalled 5 times at a set of lights. My instructor told me it was the most consecutive stalls he'd ever had from a pupil. 

I've had my license for 8 years today and I'm certainly a lot more comfortable with driving now. 

Following years of pestering from my parents, I eventually took 21 lessons in a manual with a top local instructor at the age of 29. After 7 months he said he wouldn't take any more money off me since I obviously wasn't taking it all in – or at least, not retaining all the important information and muscle memory needed to progress and be safe on the road. It might've helped if he'd properly stuck to providing lessons at the same time each week instead of in a random slot at short notice once every 3 weeks or so but there's also the factor that I'm not interested in the mechanics of any vehicle that doesn't handle like the ones in Mario Kart

Then I had one lesson in an automatic with a different instructor that went all right, but I went off to Sussex for 10 months soon afterwards and have never really had the inclination to pick it back up since that time. I was taking revision for a potential theory test seriously that whole time, mind... on the DS, mainly.

The only lasting thing that came out of that experience was that I thought I'd be honest when applying for my provisional and actually book an eye test, so I've had to wear specs of increasing strength ever since.

Obviously I know a lot of people my age who do run a car and see what a huge drain that is on their finances. On the other hand, public transport links in deepest Somerset aren't exactly frequent, comprehensive, well-integrated or great value for money either.

I don't care much about the different manufacturers of cars (which is a great disappointment to my Dad and Grandad), but it does irk me when people don't leave the diacritics in on brand names like Citroën or Škoda. Which I'm sure will come as a great shock to many of you. 

Edited by Fog Dude

I had a few lessons when I was 16, one of those weekend academies on private land. I hated it and put it mainly down to being so bad at using the gears. Didn't take lessons again until I was about 24 and toyed with going automatic. Opted for manual and although I took a while to get used to the gears, I had a good instructor who was patient and kept me right.

I passed first time and found the test much easier than expected. Keeping in mind that it was shorter than a normal lesson and being given two manouevers early on that I knew had gone well helped. I'm always keen on preparing mentally for stuff with a lot of visualisation, definitely worked for my driving test.

I can see why an automatic would make sense for se but ultimately it is more expensive and could limit your options later on. For example, I've worked for places that use pool cars where all of them were manual. That's why you'll see certain jobs looking for a Full UK manual license rather than just full UK. 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, stumobir said:

I’ve never understood people who find driving fun

In the UK I agree, but driving in Europe was actually enjoyable. 

These days an automatic is fine as a casual driver, all the pool cars at work are and they are a dream to drive for the most part, some of the cheaper end / older ones are a bit too slow to pull away for my tastes when I've been used to dropping down and flooring it. I always buy manual, but that's normally just because it's cheaper. 

I've also got an old van, no power steering and a 4 speed gearbox which takes some getting used to these days.

I learnt at 17 / 18 and drove in to university, 80 mile round trip, and got pretty comfortable in a car quite quick as a result. 

However I would love to learn to ride a motorbike, just for fun and to get an old run around for summer. I need a CBT first and know a few places locally to learn but always talk myself out of it. 

• Moderators

I did the CBT and never took it any further. I had a driving license but couldn't afford to keep and run a car so I got a little 150cc bike instead. It was good fun! I would never go long distance on a bike so it's not worth me doing the full license ever but it is nice for a run around, as you say especially in the warmer months.

I find driving immense fun. Especially out of the city and in the Peak District or up to the lakes. It’s also a fantastic opportunity for shithousing. The other day whilst on the motorway, I moved into the middle lane to overtake an artic. I saw an Audi in my wing mirror tearing up the inside lane and knew he planned to undertake me and get passed the artic. So I sped up and got alongside the back of the lorry and reverted back to my initial speed, thus trapping the Audi behind the artic. I keep this pace for a while and the Audi driver was not happy. 

I on the other hand was extremely happy and smiled and chuckled. So yes, I enjoy driving. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

In the UK I agree, but driving in Europe was actually enjoyable. 

Yeah, I should have caveated that with town/motorway driving. We’re just back from a week holiday in the Highlands and driving up that way is a delight. Unless you meet some arsehole in an RV on a single track road that is. 
Loved driving through the country when I was living/working in Italy for a couple of years too. A bit stressful and manic in the cities, you just have to look at how many cars have bumps and scrapes on them to suss their attitude to driving. My boss’ company car was more battered than Debra but I have a feeling he had a deal with the guy in the garage because he was fleecing just about everything else that he could on the credit card etc. 

• Paid Members

I think most people will know this, but do not drive around central London, particularly the West End - that way madness lies. I mean, I'm fairly certain that's what the one-way system was designed for. It's aggravating as fuck. 

That said, central London at late night is a gorgeous drive, especially around the Thames. Spectacular views.

• Paid Members

I don't plan on driving in to Central London, it seems like a nightmare. 

The main reason I've started now is because of my parents really. They live on the South Coast and are getting on in age. My mum was gravely ill after an annurism last year and I went to stay with my dad while she was in hospital. I felt like a bit of a useless prick with my dad having to drive us to the hospital for visiting and getting shopping etc. My mum was very lucky and has made a full recovery, but if a similar thing happened again I would prefer to be able to help out more. Just being able to take them out with my dad not having to worry about driving will be nice. 

I'll probably drive to work too (when we're back in the office, obviously), it's in West London and the drive isn't too bad. 

• Paid Members

That's actually the main reason I started too. It's both cliché and a truism that there's very little incentive to learn to drive if you live in London, as the transport system is so good (for a given value of "good", obviously). My mum stopped driving after an accident some years ago that saw our car written off, and she never regained the confidence to start again. I could see it was taking a toll on my dad, as he had to ferry everyone around, and that increased when my mum had to have various procedures for her back, and my sister had various, complicated health problems, so I figured it was time I pitched in. Managed to get a pretty good deal on insurance, as it's on the family car.

Edited by Carbomb

On 1/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, Keith Houchen said:

I find driving immense fun. Especially out of the city and in the Peak District or up to the lakes. It’s also a fantastic opportunity for shithousing. The other day whilst on the motorway, I moved into the middle lane to overtake an artic. I saw an Audi in my wing mirror tearing up the inside lane and knew he planned to undertake me and get passed the artic. So I sped up and got alongside the back of the lorry and reverted back to my initial speed, thus trapping the Audi behind the artic. I keep this pace for a while and the Audi driver was not happy. 

I on the other hand was extremely happy and smiled and chuckled. So yes, I enjoy driving. 

It is a goldmine for shithousing. I was in the works van on a bypass the other week when a big truck decides to tail gate me instead of overtaking. Our driving is monitored by Trimble so I drive within 1mph of the speed limit and this cunt starts flashing me and gesturing like an Italian music conductor. We get to the lights and he pulls along side me ready to overtake so I put my foot down until the roads merged in to a single lane and the twat was left gesturing and beeping me and my vehicle of the god damn crown. Risky given he was clearly a psychopath in a giant murder wagon but these are the risks we take in search of shithousery.