Learning to Drive and Buying a Car

gmoney

Yeah, it didn't really sink in that I'd passed until I got home. I had such an awful driving lesson yesterday morning, it knocked my confidence a little bit, but it's better to get all the major mistakes out of my system during a lesson rather than on the test. Can't wait to hit the roads soon.

• Paid Members

Ha, similarly the lesson before my test I was proper shit and had a heart to heart with my instructor about how I should have given myself more time, and how I was going to just treat the test like another lesson then book another test when I could. Genuinely thought I had no chance. Shows what I know.  

Edited by gmoney

• 1 year later...

I have a pretty piece of crap 2010 Ford Focus Diesel. It was cheap but its been nothing but trouble.

There is mould everywhere from the windscreen not being sealed properly, and the windscreen had a crack in it, so I had it replaced last week (wasn’t that bad a price)

I don't really drive it often but now the windscreen is fixed I can tackle the mould. Fine.

Last night around 6ish I could hear what sounded like someone asleep on their car horn. Went outside and yep it was my car. Just nonstop BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE.

All my neighbours out, I got in the car and screamed at it to "please please please please shut the fuck up" put the key in, started it, pressed the horn, moved the wheel and it seemed to stop.

The kids, who live 10 seconds away, are texting "Could you hear that horn? What is it?" It's my old piece of junk. I am mortified as I live in a small road, everyone looks annoyed so after looking through what appears to be 500 different online diagrams of the make and year (handbook was being...vague) and to stop it again, I removed the fuse for the horn. (I say I, waited for my ex to come home and help)

That's the end of it, right? Fuse removed, worry gone.

Haha, readers, you know me.

Didn't get an hour of sleep laying in the dark waiting for it to go off, up at any small noise, and just generally having a massive panic attack at the thought of it happening in the dead of the night. I was half tempted to drive the fucker away and put it in a bloody local park for the night just in case. (I hate myself and hate the way I am don't worry)

If someone here can tell me that with the fuse for the horn removed there is absolutely and categorically ZERO chance of it happening again, I'll happily donate to a charity of your choice, as the garage can't take a look until Monday (they say most likely just a short or a wire out or even something like the cold has triggered something)

I am on edge 24/7 and need to rest. Every single noise I hear I am convinced is coming from the car.

I bloody hate cars. I bloody hate driving.

• Paid Members

Mrs Mears bought her first car this week and I am loving life. She's still learning and thinks driving is fun, rather than a soul crushing necessity where you're in constant danger of being killed by morons. Being a passenger when we're doing all the usual boring errands is ace.

14 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Mrs Mears bought her first car this week and I am loving life. She's still learning and thinks driving is fun, rather than a soul crushing necessity where you're in constant danger of being killed by morons. Being a passenger when we're doing all the usual boring errands is ace.

Not now Gus, I need to know about my horn!!!!

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Not now Gus, I need to know about my horn!!!!

I asked Mr Deathrey who is pretty car savvy (serviced his own car for years etc) and he said that if the fuse is removed then the horn can't make a sound.

4 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I asked Mr Deathrey who is pretty car savvy (serviced his own car for years etc) and he said that if the fuse is removed then the horn can't make a sound.

Does he pinky swear/promise!!!??? Tell him the horn relay is still in the fuse box.

If so, tell him to name his charity.

I'd agree the horn won't go off with no fuse. Even if it's an alarm issue rather than the horn relay it won't work as it's effectively unplugged. One thing to be mindful of though is that a horn that doesn't function at all (i.e. no sound, not even a bit of a halfhearted effort) will be an MOT failure if it's like that when tested. 

10 minutes ago, MungoChutney said:

I'd agree the horn won't go off with no fuse. Even if it's an alarm issue rather than the horn relay it won't work as it's effectively unplugged. One thing to be mindful of though is that a horn that doesn't function at all (i.e. no sound, not even a bit of a halfhearted effort) will be an MOT failure if it's like that when tested. 

Yeah all good. I've decided it's going for a service as its been a while and I worry myself sick every time I drive it (what's that noise? What's that smell? Did that cyclist get up?) so will give me some peace of mind.

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah all good. I've decided it's going for a service as its been a while and I worry myself sick every time I drive it (what's that noise? What's that smell? Did that cyclist get up?) so will give me some peace of mind.

I'm exactly the same. I drive a newer car now but it hasn't really reduced the driving anxiety that I get.