Learning to Drive and Buying a Car

gmoney

• Paid Members

Alright, so I'm getting my car on Monday. So excited, so scared. Any tips for a new driver?

What are the best snacks to have in the car? 

Any essential apps or equipment? I've already downloaded Waze. 

• Paid Members

Can't speak for anyone else, but what helped me in the early weeks was to just remember the basics of the teaching, and stick to them when it gets a bit anxiety-inducing. It's not conducive to a speedy or smooth drive, but it is designed to be as failsafe as possible. Right now, all you need is practice, so once you've got the hours in, you'll be able to let go of the more overly-cautious stuff.

Snacks - Buttons, Haribo, crisps, anything that doesn't need unwrapping.

This is poncey, but the driving gloves my family got me some years ago are one of the best things I've got for driving - oddly better grip than skin, but also hugely welcome when the weather's fucking freezing, and the wheel feels like you're holding Jack Frost's ringpiece.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah if you're going to drive in gloves definitely wear leather or cycling ones as your thinsulates will slip all over the place and it's really not safe.

Other than all you need is some banging tunes! Time to go cruising!

The beauty of the soft leather ones they got me is that they've got patches of treated leather on the index and thumb fingertips that enable you to use smartphone screens while wearing them.

EDIT: Oh, and furry dice. Get some furry dice.

Edited by Carbomb

Don’t wear gloves you absolute ponce. It’s bad enough you’re driving an automatic, you might as well just chop your balls off and be done with it if you wear gloves. I am proper man. 

Drive carefully, prioritise everyone else without putting people in danger. If there’s some arsehole stressing you out by driving too close behind you, let them get by you at the first chance you get. You don’t need any added stress. Take it easy, keep safe, and enjoy it. Driving is great!

• Paid Members

I did one driving lesson 20 years ago and never intended to drive a car ever again, I know nothing about them and have absolutely no interest in them and driving. And even I know you look a complete and total knob if you wear driving gloves.

11 minutes ago, gmoney said:

What about if I get driving gloves that match my cravat? 

Then you’ll either start collecting antiques or Wes Anderson will base a character in his next whimsical story on you. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 2:10 PM, gmoney said:

Did you manage to book an earlier test? 

I've only just logged back in to spot this. Congrats on passing your test. I didn't get an earlier test and ended up getting a refund for the cancellations app. I passed my test this morning on my first attempt with only 2 minor faults. Brushed a curb while pulling over, which frustrated me a little bit, and the other was following a little too close to the car in front. Was a fairly easy test in Luton at 8am all things considered, because the amount of closed junctions and crossroads in the immediate vicinity of the test centre are a total ballache. Now I just need to buy myself a car.