Jump to content

Learning to Drive and Buying a Car


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm contemplating taking lessons as there's a sneaking suspicion I'm going to end up inheriting my gran's Honda Jazz. It's an automatic so I won't have to worry about gears. I'm sure I'd be able to do the mechanics of driving, but I have a feeling all the stuff to worry about on the road such as other drivers would be a bit overwhelming. It would be handy for going visiting friends in Manchester etc. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I'm contemplating taking lessons as there's a sneaking suspicion I'm going to end up inheriting my gran's Honda Jazz. It's an automatic so I won't have to worry about gears. I'm sure I'd be able to do the mechanics of driving, but I have a feeling all the stuff to worry about on the road such as other drivers would be a bit overwhelming. It would be handy for going visiting friends in Manchester etc. 

I'm sure you're be fine. It might help if it's an automatic. Not to sure never drive one. Good luck 

Posted

I've just bought my first automatic after twenty-four years of manuals (electric car too). Even though I'd had to drive automatics before briefly for a job I used to have and struggled with them, going to an automatic is probably one of the best car moves I've made. The thing you've basically got to remember is to plant your left leg or act like it's gone to sleep and always keep both hands on the steering wheel. I was guilty of sometimes having my hand on or going to the gear stick, especially at roundabouts, which you just have to cancel out.

  • Members
Posted

As someone who has bad knees, driving a manual is absolutely horrific for me.

Get me in some slow moving traffic and my left leg is shaking like Daz seeing a bottle of ketchup coming towards him. 

They're awful and all cars should be automatic. 

"Ooooh but you don't get the proper driving experience..." oh grow up and go and play Gran Tourismo.

 

Posted

I sometimes have to crack my knees if there's a bend in them for too long, straighten them out, so that ability to rest the left leg fairly straight with the space where the clutch was is a benefit. Automatic and electric is the way forward.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

So we're in agreement. If your legs are about to fall off you should drive a mobility car, otherwise you may continue driving a manual like a grown up.

Work smart, not hard. Plus, look what happened when Kane drove with a "stick shift".

Edited by davertfnewman
Posted

I drove a manual for 21 years, also shifted to an automatic electric car and it is the absolute future, and best decision I've made in some time. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving in Mario Kart, but not in a bad way.

We still have the manual for when the mood takes me for a 'proper' drive, I can't imagine it will be very often though

Posted

I've always driven a manual apart from one rental in Malaysia where the guy gave me an old beat up proton for about £12. It was brilliant, so relaxing to cruise along the motorway and weave through the winding mountains. I've since gone back to manuals but my wife hates the jitterness of a small car and put of practice driver so I'll be using an auto next time I'm renting. Day to to day I drive an automatic bike anyway as a manual wears you down in traffic. 

Posted

Automatics are great until you forget you're not in a manual car after three hours driving on the motorway and then decide to bury your foot in the brake pedal coming off the slip road on a motorway thinking it's the clutch and emergency stopping your three passengers in to oblivion. Which I definitely didn't do when we were in a rental on tour recently. Twice.

  • Paid Members
Posted

 

7 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Automatics are great until you forget you're not in a manual car after three hours driving on the motorway and then decide to bury your foot in the brake pedal coming off the slip road on a motorway thinking it's the clutch and emergency stopping your three passengers in to oblivion. Which I definitely didn't do when we were in a rental on tour recently. Twice.

I've never driven an automatic and the prospect of doing so terrifies me, given how much of driving manual comes down to muscle memory. Everyone I know that drives automatic assures me it's miles easier and more fun though. Obviously at some point I will have to make the switch, the days of manual transmission are numbered!

Posted

You'd be amazed at how quick you adapt. The main issue with going to automatic is that the breaks are a lot sharper and the car doesn't roll in the same way (something I often do when doing things like parallel parking). On our electric car, we have automatic regenerative breaking which means the breaks start to be applied as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator (you still have a break pedal) the car starts to stop - just like Mario Kart. That took a day or two to get used to buy now it's become a habit and I forget other cars don't do it!

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Not sure if this is the right thread but has anyone had any experience using a car club?

My old diesel Renault failed the MOT on emissions and after paying £1400 to get it fixed and it still not passing I’ve decided to scrap it. I don’t use my car often, this year I did just under 2000 miles, I pay £40 insurance a month and have to pay £9 for the clean air zone charge anytime I drive through the city. Given how much I use the car I’m thinking of holding fire on getting a new one and joining up for a car club. Just wondering if anyone had used one and had any experiences (positive or negative). 
 

Also if anyone wants to buy a Renault, I’ll do you a good deal ha! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...