Learning to Drive and Buying a Car

gmoney

• Moderators
17 hours ago, stumobir said:

Am I bit thick or could all that hassle be solved by just making the central roundabout a bit bigger? Kind of like, well, every other roundabout in the country. 

I think it is something around how each of the roads has a different level and directional flow of traffic so the tributary system evens that out

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Passed my theory test today. 48 out of 50 on the multiple choice and 64 out of 75 on the hazard perception. I wasn't that nervous as I'd prepared a lot, then absolutely shat it when I sat down, but it was fine. Definitely recommend the Theory Test 4 in 1 app. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Passed the fucker! Lookout lollipop ladies! 

I brushed the curb when pulling over at one point and thought I'd fucked it, but at the end he said as long as I hadn't mounted it, it wasn't a serious fault. That's at odds with what my instructor had thought, so not sure if I had a very lenient examiner or if my instructor was mistaken. He did seem super laid back. I got 7 minor faults in total. Fucking chuffed!

I only sat and passed my driving test for the first time in 2019 despite being in my 30s.

I think I was quite lucky with the examiner I drew on the day as I was terrible at driving at the time. No rhyme or reason to it. Some days I would get in the car for my lesson and drive flawlessly and other days I would be trying to start the car in 3rd gear, stalling about 10 times straight at busy lights etc.

Anyway the day of my test he simply said to me "just stop driving like a big jessie" and exited the car immediately after handing me the thing telling me I had passed. 

• Paid Members

I was 34 when I passed mine (fourth time - I'd done three tests in rapid succession 10 years previously, then run out of money). My pass was down to luck too - the previous three occasions, I'd stupidly followed a friend's advice to do my test in Barnet, because "the roads are all clear, you can drive without too much issue", and ended up making some serious mistakes caused by dickhead rural-suburban Jeep/Landrover drivers barrelling around without a care for anyone else. The test I passed, I did in my home borough of Haringey, and, as fortune would have it, the road right by the test centre was packed to the gills with traffic. I spent about half the test just inching along, before the examiner told me to split off into the local residential area and do the free driving section there. Easy as piss, it was.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I was 34 when I passed mine (fourth time - I'd done three tests in rapid succession 10 years previously, then run out of money). My pass was down to luck too - the previous three occasions, I'd stupidly followed a friend's advice to do my test in Barnet, because "the roads are all clear, you can drive without too much issue", and ended up making some serious mistakes caused by dickhead rural-suburban Jeep/Landrover drivers barrelling around without a care for anyone else. The test I passed, I did in my home borough of Haringey, and, as fortune would have it, the road right by the test centre was packed to the gills with traffic. I spent about half the test just inching along, before the examiner told me to split off into the local residential area and do the free driving section there. Easy as piss, it was.

Someone gave me the advice that I should learn somewhere other than Croydon as it's difficult to drive around here. I get that, but ultimately I live here, and wanted to feel comfortable driving here, which I wouldn't have done if I'd been driving somewhere less hectic. Even now, I am definitely a bit anxious about driving on my own first time, so I'm going to take it very easy to start with. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Someone gave me the advice that I should learn somewhere other than Croydon as it's difficult to drive around here. I get that, but ultimately I live here, and wanted to feel comfortable driving here, which I wouldn't have done if I'd been driving somewhere less hectic. Even now, I am definitely a bit anxious about driving on my own first time, so I'm going to take it very easy to start with. 

I think you've done the right thing in learning auto. It takes a lot of the stress out of driving, as you're not constantly worried about having to divert your attention to changing gears, which can be a particular problem at the beginning - obviously, once you're used to it, it's not an issue, but it takes some time.

For me, the best advice I got was "Drive for other people" - you can't legislate for arseholes zooming through roundabouts from the left or through crossroads where there are visual obstructions, so best to err on the side of caution, assume that everyone who's not behind you's going to try to carve you up, and fuck the beepers; they can't make you do anything.

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

and fuck the beepers; they can't make you do anything.

As my instructor said to me, let them get as far away from you as possible. He also said if he saw them wrapped around a tree a mile up the road he wouldn’t waste his credit phoning for an ambulance, so maybe don’t take everything he says as gospel. 

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

"Drive for other people"

Definitely this. It might have been in this thread but I couldn't see it, but even as a driver of 20+ years I've been learning lots from Ashley Neal's channel lately. Apparently he used to be a terrible footballer but WHOOSH to me. He's a touch arrogant for my liking but I can't argue with his advice. Giving even more space makes things so much calmer, and his video about merging in turn was a revelation to me (essentially, stop being polite and British and just joining a queue. The highway code says you should push up as far as you can).

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

He also said if he saw them wrapped around a tree a mile up the road he wouldn’t waste his credit phoning for an ambulance

Did he also talk about how Britain needs the Blitz spirit back?

• Paid Members
On 1/6/2022 at 5:32 AM, neil is brill said:

I’ve been learning in an auto since the end of August 2021. Been ready for a test since November, but there lies the problem at the moment. If you haven’t already, I highly suggest booking your theory and begin practicing for it immediately. I passed mine in December.

There is a huge backlog and waiting list for practical tests, which you aren’t able to book until you pass your theory. I have my practical booked for May 2022 and have paid for one of those apps to find a cancellation for me. Otherwise it’s going to be an expensive 4 months to continue having lessons.

No other tips for you, but get that theory booked ASAP! Good luck.

Did you manage to book an earlier test?