AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Mox/Punk - assuming this is going somewhere and it's the first chapter rather than the last chapter, I'm loving how it's stirred so much up. Far more than a 'hard fought match' would have been. I legitimately have no idea what is going to happen next, and that's really exciting. Assuming Punk isn't actually off, he just got embarrassed on a huge platform, after showing a huge amount of entitlement. 

I have no idea what's coming. If that's intentional rather than mismanaged, I'm on board with that.

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

Plus, it was just great to watch, you know?

It was fun to see Punk get massacred like that.  In and of itself you're right, it was a spectacle.  If it's going to lead to 6 months of whingey heel Punk as champion though we'll all regret it.  So I hope you're wrong about the end goal.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Daddymagic said:

According to Meltzer on today's WOR the plan is for Punk/Mox II next Sunday, and this angle was Moxleys idea 

He also brought up Hangman and that there is no plans for a Hangman / Punk story at present. 

I assume he's probably right, but Fightful are hedging their bets, and they tend to be a little better on AEW gossip than Meltz. They've just said that the TV match "wasn't the original plan" and that multiple plans for All Out have changed. It might be that Meltzer is still saying it's the plan because nothing has been changed "officially", but something else is in the works. I doubt it, though, purely because I can't think what else they'd do instead.

58 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I really enjoyed Mox/Punk - assuming this is going somewhere and it's the first chapter rather than the last chapter, I'm loving how it's stirred so much up. Far more than a 'hard fought match' would have been. I legitimately have no idea what is going to happen next, and that's really exciting. Assuming Punk isn't actually off, he just got embarrassed on a huge platform, after showing a huge amount of entitlement. 

I have no idea what's coming. If that's intentional rather than mismanaged, I'm on board with that.

It's an odd one - I'm a sucker for unorthodox booking and unexpected match structure; stuff like Brock/Cena and Brock/Goldberg, and it certainly fits that bill. But in this case, I question the logic of it, if there's a rematch ten days later. It's added intrigue, but I don't think it's added the kind of intrigue that sells a PPV. They have a week in which to justify a rematch (in a promotion that historically hasn't done WWE-style automatic rematches), and to add a narrative wrinkle that would make it worthwhile, and to justify how the match would go longer than the first one, how Punk can go from unable to throw a single kick to able to have (presumably) a lengthy World Championship match.

If anyone can do it, it's Moxley and Punk, and I'm sure they'll play off the exact same high kick spot in the eventual rematch, but the number one thing they need to sell people on is an explanation - both in and out of kayfabe - as to why we should expect the second match to go any longer, and be any better, than the first, to be worth paying for. I think they probably can claw something back from this, but I'm not convinced that whatever it is they pull out would be a better route to the end destination than not having done the match on TV in the first place.

32 minutes ago, Loki said:

If it's going to lead to 6 months of whingey heel Punk as champion though we'll all regret it.  So I hope you're wrong about the end goal.

I think his heel run is going to be utterly different. Cock 'I'm the star' Punk. I reckon we see an MJF team up at some point as well before MJF goes face.

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I assume he's probably right, but Fightful are hedging their bets, and they tend to be a little better on AEW gossip than Meltz. They've just said that the TV match "wasn't the original plan" and that multiple plans for All Out have changed. It might be that Meltzer is still saying it's the plan because nothing has been changed "officially", but something else is in the works. I doubt it, though, purely because I can't think what else they'd do instead.

I don't pay much attention to the news sites these days, but that Sapp seems to hedge his bets an awful lot from what I have seen of him.

5 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I don't pay much attention to the news sites these days, but that Sapp seems to hedge his bets an awful lot from what I have seen of him.

I’d rather that than instead of admitting you were wrong you say “Plans change”

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

If you stick to what's on Fightful Select, rather than stuff he Tweets, he tends to get things right when it comes to returns and booking decisions more often than not - he's rarely a "plans change" type like Meltzer; though I think Meltzer gets a bad rap in some respects because relatively few people actually read the Observer compared to how many see/hear his comments out of context, and he's often quoted without it being clear whether he's reporting something, predicting it, or speculating, which is part of the problem of him wearing multiple hats as reporter/critic/historian/opinion columnist. 

Generally, I'd put more stock in Sapp saying something was likely to happen on a show than I would anyone else reporting on wrestling at the moment. He's got a good hit rate, even if it's often buried under a hundred different podcasts and reports of who the producer was for every match on Smackdown.

Could they go down the route of a protective shoe or cast or the like for Punk's foot only for it to be a loaded weapon when the ref takes his bump during the All Out main event? 

Punk talks how desperate he is to perform in his hometown, Khan says he won't allow it unless he's medically cleared (again), Punk says he is if he wears this cast/boot, Khan still says no because it's a weapon, Punk says he won't use that foot to strike Moxley he's just that desperate to wrestle in Chicago and eventually Khan agrees. Then wallop Punk cheats to become World champion again and the Chi-town crowd eat it up good and proper. 

Khan suspends Punk for using the foot as a weapon on the following Dynamite and sets up a 8 man tournament to determine the new interim interim World champion. Because officially Mox didn't lose his interim title in the unification match so he's still the actual interim World champion and now we're looking for an interim interim World champ while Mox is off recovering from a concussion suffered by Punk's loaded boot. And somewhere along the way, JR makes another comment about Dax, Lethal and Remsburg all being bald that falls flat on it's face.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Love this. The majority of, “proper,” matches could only dream of nailing this level of catharsis and satisfaction.

Something else that also seems to have flown under the radar, although it’s probably coincidence more than anything 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I don't think the problem with Mox Punk was the match itself, which was pretty cool (although I agree with @Loki, there's a world of difference between the stories of that happening in Brock/Cena or Brock/Goldberg and here), but more that the direction it seems to lead in seems mental considering it, and it doesn't naturally lead to a rematch. It didn't feel like a flash knockout like some MMA fights, and wrestling has a long established trope of an injury flaring up but the babyface fighting through it, rather than getting run over. Doesn't make it impossible to work, just didn't feel it.

I also agree completely with @RedRooster(I think it was) who said that part of the reason it felt bad that it was in the middle of the show. It's not like the main had a clean finish, if they've ended with this I think it would've hit different.

It could end up being perfect, depending on what they do next, it's just hard to see what that will be.