AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

What was the big Tony Khan announcement that was hyped?

I think if we're talking "forbidden door" stuff it'd be Jay White turning up. 

• Paid Members

@RedRoosterI know what you mean with Page. In terms of his promos and the like he was excellent in the build to the title change, although how much of that was because of who he had around him? He was also good in the feud with Danielson, but less so against Archer. I guess it all boils down to him only being able to bounce off of whoever he's got to work with in that regard. 

It also feels a little like they invested so much in the build to Page winning the title they didn't know where to go from there. I do wonder how differently things might have gone if he'd had a heel Moxley as his first opponent as appeared to be the plan.

Bit of a letdown, it being Keith Lee, let's be honest - great wrestler but hardly the earth-shattering, industry-breaking signing we were promised.  And inevitably it makes AEW feel even more like a NXT 1.0 revival.

AEW doesn't need more talent - it's got more than it needs atm anyway.  It's starting to feel like WCW in that period where they had guys you'd only see once every 6 months that were well-known names like Tank Abbott or Bossman or Steve Williams.  Picking up a big paycheque but not really being used.  I wouldn't be surprised if Khan has Lanny Poffo under contract.

I can't remember the last time there was this much main event talent just knocking around outside the big 2 companies - you've got Samoa Joe, Jeff Hardy, Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman, Shane McMahon ;)

This was a fun show but I'm not sure what direction AEW is going - is Page the star of the show, the centre of the AEW universe?  Doesn't feel like it.  Is it Punk?  Is it Moxley?  None of their biggest stars are holding titles atm which is odd.

Edited by Loki

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

Bit of a letdown, it being Keith Lee, let's be honest - great wrestler but hardly the earth-shattering, industry-breaking signing we were promised.  And inevitably it makes AEW feel even more like a NXT 1.0 revival.

AEW doesn't need more talent - it's got more than it needs atm anyway.  It's starting to feel like WCW in that period where they had guys you'd only see once every 6 months that were well-known names like Tank Abbott or Bossman or Steve Williams.  Picking up a big paycheque but not really being used.  I wouldn't be surprised if Khan has Lanny Poffo under contract.

I can't remember the last time there was this much main event talent just knocking around outside the big 2 companies - you've got Samoa Joe, Jeff Hardy, Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman, Shane McMahon ;)

This was a fun show but I'm not sure what direction AEW is going - is Page the star of the show, the centre of the AEW universe?  Doesn't feel like it.  Is it Punk?  Is it Moxley?  None of their biggest stars are holding titles atm which is odd.

They don’t seem to have a “guy”. Heard it described as moneyball in that you get a little of a lotta protected people, than a lot of a few protected guys. One benefit is that it’s easy to move people into title picture as in wwe you’d have expected the headliners to have beaten then second tier guys 6-10 times already on tv, when in reality there’s still loads of people that haven’t even faced off yet 

• Paid Members

Yeah while I'm enjoying Hangman's reign so far and still love the guy I wish they would put a bit more promotional effort and hype behind him to give him some more oomph. AEW are great at creating stars and getting people over but they still haven't mastered the art of really getting behind someone and pushing them to that next level.

Adam Page is not a large man at all but Adam Cole looked absolutely tiny next to him. Just can't take Cole seriously as a top level wrestler, absolutely no credibility as a main eventer. Just keep him as a cocky little mid-card dickhead - that's his level. He looked like a child holding that title belt. Really I'd have preferred they just dragged out the Archer feud longer. Basically re-do that really good Braun/Roman feud from a few years back where they were just murdering each other in incredibly inventive and brutal ways each week.

• Paid Members

Yeah the Lucha Bros are pretty played out. Death Triangle as a whole would be better split up. With injuries and Pac being based in the UK they've never really been able to get any momentum.

I liked this weeks episode a lot but wish that AEW would get better at telling stories within an episode, rather than just broadly week to week. For example, you set up Punk having to find a mystery partner to face FTR and then an hour later he comes out with Mox. But you could do a segment or two inbetween where Punk is backstage looking for potential partners, he bumps into Orange Cassidy, Danhausen and John Silver with comical results before he opens a door, pauses and says "oh, perfect. I think I found the guy". Stuff like that helps build character, story and hype throughout the show to keep viewers engaged. Often in AEW it feels like guys just exists within the bubble of their segment/match then vanish till next week. You need to build a whole world for the characters to live in. Or why not have two quick promos before the main event title match placed throughout the show to build it up, or have a segment where Dark Order hype up a nervous Hangman before he has to face the monster Lance Archer. Or Jake visiting Page before the match to taunt him and sow seeds of doubt/fear. Small stuff like that makes a big difference and makes the shows flow much better.

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah the Lucha Bros are pretty played out. Death Triangle as a whole would be better split up. With injuries and Pac being based in the UK they've never really been able to get any momentum.

I liked this weeks episode a lot but wish that AEW would get better at telling stories within an episode, rather than just broadly week to week. For example, you set up Punk having to find a mystery partner to face FTR and then an hour later he comes out with Mox. But you could do a segment or two inbetween where Punk is backstage looking for potential partners, he bumps into Orange Cassidy, Danhausen and John Silver with comical results before he opens a door, pauses and says "oh, perfect. I think I found the guy". Stuff like that helps build character, story and hype throughout the show to keep viewers engaged. Often in AEW it feels like guys just exists within the bubble of their segment/match then vanish till next week. You need to build a whole world for the characters to live in. Or why not have two quick promos before the main event title match placed throughout the show to build it up, or have a segment where Dark Order hype up a nervous Hangman before he has to face the monster Lance Archer. Or Jake visiting Page before the match to taunt him and sow seeds of doubt/fear. Small stuff like that makes a big difference and makes the shows flow much better.

I agree with this, but they’ve got so much shit to get in PLUS they have longer matches than WWE. 

They have way too many wrestlers. The amount of good names who take weeks off because there’s no space for them is insane.

They need to tighten up, and focus on people that matter on Dynamite.

They could have incredible shows each week by cutting some of the shit.

On the surprise, Lee looked incredible. But, as expected, Khan had fucked it by overpromising. I love that he’s basically said he went out and signed Jay White because he realised Lee wasn’t a forbidden door signing and it might make him look daft. Fucking hell.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’m surprised it took Jay White so long to turn up in AEW considering it feels like he’s been wrestling in America for well over 18 months now.

He should be the one feuding with Hangman next not Adam Cole, one of the best heels in years. 

There'd be layers of intrigue. Page is also a former Bullet Club guy so there'd be the conflict there where Jay White is the leader of Bullet Club and is trying to get Page to fall in line and Surrender the title while Page is saying it's all behind him, then you can bring in the Guerillas Of Destiny to add to it, and Page has odds to overcome and a personal conflict to resolve, which seems to be where he's been doing his best character work.