AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

Main event was fantastic and although a little long was something I enjoyed for being a bit different. The match clearly meant aot to MJF too and you could see him thanking Punk after the cover which was nice to see but perhaps the camera could have waited a few more moments to let that stay between the wrestlers and the thousands in the building. 

9 minutes ago, Nick James said:

According to Brandi's entrance graphic, she is on an 8 match winning streak, has she even had 8 matches? and if she has, who the hell is she beating?

Started back in September 2020 on Dark and Dark: Elevation. 
Wins over Red Velvet, two wins over  KiLynn King, Kenzie Page, Elayna Black & Layla Hirsch (tagged with Red Velvet), Robyn Renegade, Angelica Risk, Ashley D’Amboise (which is listed as an actual Dark Match so apparently isn’t being counted) and Willow Nightingale.

So no-one of any note

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

According to Brandi's entrance graphic, she is on an 8 match winning streak, has she even had 8 matches? and if she has, who the hell is she beating?

It's an 8-match winning streak dating back to 2020 and mostly non-signed talent on Dark and Elevation. The last person she faced of note was Anna Jay in 2020, who beat her. Her win-loss record is half that of Abadon's, for context.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Because, I'm assuming, the match will be an intergender tag match between VanZant and her MMA husband against Cody and Brandi. And I can see why that would be seen as a draw - Cody's on non-wrestling TV that appears to be doing well and they have their own TV show as well. I'm not saying it's the right call, but I can entirely see why the Rhodes are classed as a big deal. Frankly, they should be - the issue at the moment is that they're not doing it well. 

But Brandi as, say, women's champ, would be a terrible idea. Her role really should be around the celebrity stuff, as they try to do more cross-promotional stuff.

While I imagine you're right about their logic, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that they should be a big deal. Cody should be, of course, but I struggle to think of anything good that she's done during the Dynamite era of AEW. I don't buy that there's any great benefit to having her involved in celebrity stuff either - frankly, the Shaq match almost certainly benefitted from her not being there; and I don't think Cody is a big enough name for Cody/Brandi vs. VanZant/husband (assuming he wrestles) to garner any more mainstream attention than Cody/Thunder Rosa (for example) vs. VanZant/husband; or even Britt Baker vs. VanZant, with the match being used as a vehicle to turn Britt. There's more benefit to building Britt, Thunder Rosa, or another, more active female wrestler as a big deal than there is Brandi.

I do think that Cody and Brandi could potentially be an effective heel duo, but equally, there's every chance that Brandi would hinder, as opposed to help, heel Cody. Until she shows...something, I think they should hold back on the high profile matches/opportunities for her. 

52 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

Getting serious Big Show '99 vibes from Hangman's AEW Title reign. 

Barely on TV and when he is it is usually in the middle of the show for 5 mintues. He also has a midcard fued, defending the title against Bossman err Lance Archer.

I think that's harsh. He's just had an enjoyable feud (and very well received - if divisive - matches) with Bryan Danielson, and now he's feuding with someone lower on the card before they set up his Revolution match; at which point I expect he'll play a more prominent role once again. 

Hangman's title chase was so good that it left people - myself included - with ridiculous expectations for his title run. On the whole, I think he's doing just fine; although you're probably right in suggesting he should open or close the show more than he does, even when he's feuding with someone like Archer. 

Face champions are tough. The money is always in the chase and with such an exceptional one they were always going to struggle to keep that high quality with Hangman.

I did really enjoy the Danielson stuff though and I hope they can find someone else that can be enjoyable to hate against Hangman. Sometimes there's just not enough genuine heels.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Started back in September 2020 on Dark and Dark: Elevation. 
Wins over Red Velvet, two wins over  KiLynn King, Kenzie Page, Elayna Black & Layla Hirsch (tagged with Red Velvet), Robyn Renegade, Angelica Risk, Ashley D’Amboise (which is listed as an actual Dark Match so apparently isn’t being counted) and Willow Nightingale.

So no-one of any note

From my dodgy memory it looked like they were actually pretty high on King and she was heavily featured on Dark and Elevation for a while.

This weeks Brandi/Lambert segment surely has to be an early contender for worst moment.

Has Brandi or Cody gotten overly defensive over it on twitter yet?

Men of The Year need to get themselves the fuck away from this shit ASAP. 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

And did I black out during the Soho/Rose match? What happened with Soho missing that kick?

Lon, I believe that was the finish. Soho went for her finisher but with Rose on the top rope (we all know doing your finisher from a different ring position as standard is more devastating). But she missed it. Which led to Rose hitting a senton and winning. It’s a match Soho was likely to win, so the fact she lost will probably be used on Rampage/next dynamite.

At least that’s how I saw it. 

@ReturnOfTheMacki just checked their last match, Ruby Soho won the match doing that kick when Nyla was on the top turnbuckle. It was a call back to the TBS semi final they had at Christmas

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

44 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I did really enjoy the Danielson stuff though and I hope they can find someone else that can be enjoyable to hate against Hangman. Sometimes there's just not enough genuine heels.

I also think that has to be viewed through the context of it being a back-up plan. Although the matches might not have been as good, a feud between a heel Jon Moxley and Hangman had serious potential. There are very few people better on the mic than Moxley, and I think he'd have been the perfect opponent to ensure Hangman's reign began with a red-hot feud. 

On a separate note, is Miro out injured or something? If he isn't, I'm absolutely baffled by his absence from AEW right now. There has to be a reason for this, surely?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

On a separate note, is Miro out injured or something? If he isn't, I'm absolutely baffled by his absence from AEW right now. There has to be a reason for this, surely?

I believe he had a concussion which is why he started doing those vignettes. But it’s odd how both he and Kip had the same issue and neither have been featured on TV in weeks/months.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I believe he had a concussion which is why he started doing those vignettes. But it’s odd how both he and Kip had the same issue and neither have been featured on TV in weeks/months.

I'm pretty sure Kip was in the front row on Dynamite with a box on his head.