AEW Rampage Thread 2022

dopper

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

First Dance match wise had

• Jurassic Express v. Private Party
  • Jade Cargill (green as grass pet project) v. Kiera Hogan
  • Jon Moxley v. Daniel Garcia (a nobody to most people at that point)

Like I said, it’s not an exact science.

Cheating a bit listing the above card though, surely? I would have happily considered this week’s card acceptable if also featured CM Punk’s return after seven years. You know - one of the greatest segments and biggest moments in the history of the business.

The point is that there’s a clear trajectory here that suggests they’ve all but given up on the time slot. Do you think if CM Punk’s return happens this year they’d ever dream of putting it on Rampage? Not a chance. It’s a real shame. At its best Rampage was an extra hour of Dynamite but those days feel long gone. It’s Shotgun Friday Night, now. Dark Plus.

Edited by Supremo

36 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Like I said, it’s not an exact science.

Cheating a bit listing the above card though, surely? I would have happily considered this week’s card acceptable if also featured CM Punk’s return after seven years. You know - one of the greatest segments and biggest moments in the history of the business.

The point is that there’s a clear trajectory here that suggests they’ve all but given up on the time slot. Do you think if CM Punk’s return happens this year they’d ever dream of putting it on Rampage? Not a chance. It’s a real shame. At its best Rampage was an extra hour of Dynamite but those days feel long gone. It’s Shotgun Friday Night, now. Dark Plus.

It's not like CM Punk's return can be replicated.

The specifically kept back Bryan Danielson appearing at the end of Dynamite. So he could appear on Rampage. Go back a little over a year ago and those couple of sentences would have thrown people for a loop.

Danielson / Punk interview segment

Parker / Jade as pet projects that the crowd don't care about in squashes.

Gunn Club v Beardhausen / Jurassic Express v. Private Party styles clash sure but the Ass Boys v. Beardhausen might be more popular from a fan engagement pov.

Moxley / OC & SamTay  Mox alone carries more weight than those two pairings. Although they're upper midcarders in TK's AEW. It's not like Moxley has gone MIA from Rampage making his most recent appearance just last week.

Rampage might well be diminished but take out the very first show and OMG CM Punk there's not a great deal of difference

The main thing that killed Rampage this summer was turning into ROHmpage to promote Death by Dishonor.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Awards Moderator

Hook! That match lasted exactly as long as it should have.

There was a thread on here not too long ago about ‘underwhelming dream matches’. I’d like to add Orange Cassidy vs Mark Henry to my list. I would love it if their interactions over the past two weeks about “looks like there’s been enough talk” are the first steps of a slow slow build to a match. Gimme!

Claudio vs Dustin should be a great match next week.

4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Has there ever been a "I'm punk rock I am" wrestler that hasn't been an insufferable bore? 

CM's had his moments. 

But yeah, largely agreed otherwise. Also reminds me of that exhausting "I'm all about staying loyal to my friends and Vans" whiney American spin on the culture. 

October is baseball playoff month and the start of the NBA season. The usual time of the year for pre-emptions and changed days. Which sees the typical AEW schedule get thrown out.

3 of the 4 weeks so far will have a Rampage taping split from Dynamite. The new standard of a Rampage/BOTB taping, the debut in Canada, and one at the end of the month. For now the special Tuesday night Dynamite on 18/10 doesn't have Rampage on the poster. Potentially a 4th standalone Rampage taping.

It would be good if they can keep the two shows a week going past October. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:50 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

CM's had his moments. 

But yeah, largely agreed otherwise. Also reminds me of that exhausting "I'm all about staying loyal to my friends and Vans" whiney American spin on the culture. 

Those shoes where the bottom splits off the second you go up on your tip toes? Fuck off being loyal to them!

I know it makes a blind bit of difference to most people's interest of TV ratings but if they split Rampage off I'd love to see it filmed in sampler venues with a bit of character, different set etc. 

• Paid Members

Dark Order advancing in the tournament, but with Ten teasing an injury? You love to see it. Hangman’s gonna get the Stone Cold Steve Austin pop when he enters as a substitute at the PPV. Give me my Elite drama!

Dustin Rhodes looking old and a bit lost makes me sad. 🙁

Speaking of which, Chris Sabin looked ancient from when I last saw him! Can he and Shelley still go? I hope so! For a moment, I assumed the involvement of the Motor City Machine Guns may have resulted in FTR winning the Impact Tag Titles to add to their collection, but then I checked who the current champs were. The Good Brothers?! Fuck that. Abandon ship. Can I just shock you? FTR have actually got enough belts already.

Fun Powerhouse Hobbs squash but why the fuck are The Factory stinking up the joint and diluting what was originally a molten hot angle between Hobbs and Starks? Each episode of Dynamite and Rampage it’s getting colder and colder thanks to the involvement of these scrubs.

Second week in a row Daddy Magic has stolen the show screaming, “WHAT IF?!” into the camera, looking coked out of his god damn mind. I love him so much. HOOK vs Daddy Magic and/or Cool Hand Ange has limitless potential.

Now that everyone’s calmed down a bit, can we all agree how glorious it was watching Punk eat shit again, in video package form? Sometimes a prick just needs to get what’s coming to him. It’s only sweeter coming in the form of the greatest man, from the greatest faction.

8B9CDCC6-AD89-4064-873D-0AB7F06763E8.thumb.jpeg.0b7c18e6d73a27a1b0a372abef5e340e.jpeg

One more for the good guys.

Edited by Supremo