The Tony Khan Is A Twat Thread

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Is it now a case that Tony has exhausted his 3 year plan in his notebook and is now running on the fly?

It's possible. Every pro wrestling booker no matter how good they are has a shelf life and eventually exhaust their ideas. Especially when they're the owner/CEO too as they get busier and busier and spread too thin. I know wrestling fans have been conditioned for years to think "WRITERS = BAD" but it only seems sensible to hire a few creative people to come up with fresh stories, direction and pitch ideas. They don't have to write out every promo like WWE do but having a creative team who can do the bulk of the work and then Tony can pick and choose and alter what they give him to fit his vision of AEW would probably only improve the shows.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't think they would leak false information without WB/Discovery's blessing and I doubt they would care that much about a wrestling show on one of their networks. They probably flipped their lid watching it.

I don't know about this - Khan made a big deal about how great some of the meetings went over the last week or two, and how on-board they are. Assuming this wasn't just hyperbole, it's possible he's managed to do something that previous promoters haven't - get across his enthusiasm about why wrestling works in a way they understand and also get enthusiastic about.

I think we still tend to look at the whole situation with networks as if it's Time Warner in 2000, and not one where wrestling has gone from being an embarrassment to more of an asset (or one where it's a WWE product from the mid-2000s, with all kinds of problems that send advertisers running). If that's the case, there's a possibility that Khan has managed to get across not just what has been working in AEW, but what could work over time - and a worked shoot (or turning a shoot into a work) gaining a lot of measurable social media traction and controversy isn't a bad way to demonstrate that in real-time. And even making the partners a little part of the story as well.

I'm not saying this is all a great idea - but I can see the logic behind it, and it's useful at a time when two of your biggest names are injured, with rumours of a third. The Forbidden Door stuff is similar - if this is the only time they're doing it, it's not going great. If it's the first time they're doing it, then familiarising your audience with the NJPW guys over time isn't a bad way to do this, while also trying to make your new partners excited about international cooperation.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think we still tend to look at the whole situation with networks as if it's Time Warner in 2000, and not one where wrestling has gone from being an embarrassment to more of an asset

Absolutely. WWE have done a fairly great job at rehabilitating wrestlings image over the past decade and a lot of people don't seem to realise that if you're a TV network hungry for live content that wrestling is a great asset to have. AEW provide TBS with over 100 hours of weekly live television that is almost guaranteed to get fairly decent ratings and advertisers and costs an absolute fraction of what they would have to pay for any other major professional sports to fill the same time. For what they are providing, AEW is an absolute bargain.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I know its still true but that feels like an old interview from around the time the company was just starting based on his appearance.

Surely that's the point of the tweet, that this is what Tony was saying when AEW was starting out, to now be 3 years later and AEW have a large roster or most wrestlers available, including Tonys favourites. The only thing that isn't as relevant, is the large contracts element, but even so, we aren't sure of what the likes of Punk, Danielson and the like are on. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Surely that's the point of the tweet, that this is what Tony was saying when AEW was starting out, to now be 3 years later and AEW have a large roster or most wrestlers available, including Tonys favourites. The only thing that isn't as relevant, is the large contracts element, but even so, we aren't sure of what the likes of Punk, Danielson and the like are on. 

I disagree. Things change over time and so comparing what was said at the start (when it was a pretty limited roster) and what happened since (hiring people during the pandemic, WWE releases, Punk showing an interest) to current day is not really the same. We also know why the likes of Bryan, Punk are going to be on similar wages to their WWE days, we also know through the MJF situation that those on base contracts are on around $40k a year going up to around $100k+ when renegotiating like MJF did. I don't think Sonny Kiss, Dante Martin JD Drake, or even your Dark Order lot (sans Uno who does other roles backstage) are on $100k a year. Sure, he's got a lot of top talent who will be earning millions, but also a lot are on per appearance or on those base contracts. 

Also, WCW was Turner owner and financed, when it started to lose money they pulled the plug. What they pay to show AEW is much less then what their other programming will cost.

6 hours ago, Nick James said:

The point of the tweet is TK lacking self-awareness. The clips used of explaining one of the reasons in WCW's downfall (and therefore something for AEW to avoid) is a very large roster with not balancing the books and hiring everyone you like.

The clickbait headline of comparing AEW's roster size and WCW's roster size works in terms of lacking self-awareness. Go past that to the financial side and it doesn't compare quite as well.

AEW's signing policy of NXT and short run WWE roster cast offs isn't exactly WCW's roster in 99-00 with WWF headliners and home grown main eventers. AEW has a glut in the middle not the top. They don't appear to be offering top dollar which factored into Owens/Styles/Zayn all reupping and even some releases like Good Brothers and IIconics signing elsewhere when AEW had interest. They've missed out on people they would like to sign and seem to be working to a budget whatever that looks like.

Edited by Infinity Land

14 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The point of the tweet is TK lacking self-awareness

And the point of the the thread is to highlight what a massive twat Tony Khan is. And he is. A massive massive twat.