Need help or a chat?

Thunderplex

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Samaritans are brilliant people

If the Samaritans were so great why is one of them being nice so noteworthy in the bible eh? 

Off Topic, but in a TIL moment, there are apparently less than 1000 Samaritans left, and due to a shortage of woman and a reduced genetic pool they are at risk of disappearing all together. 

53 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I trained to be a Samaritan but due to having to do a certain number of nights shifts and having a full time job I had to quit. I would happily volunteer again if it weren't for the mandatory night shifts.

I had to give up for similar reasons doing an early morning shift into a full day of work, didn't work

If people want to do it see when your local Samaritans open/recruitment events are. 

One of the best experiences of my life, I did it to give back following umpteen mental health issues. Set me on a completely different career path and opened so many doors and opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I had to give up for similar reasons doing an early morning shift into a full day of work, didn't work

If people want to do it see when your local Samaritans open/recruitment events are. 

One of the best experiences of my life, I did it to give back following umpteen mental health issues. Set me on a completely different career path and opened so many doors and opportunities. 

Now that I'm working from home a lot more I've put my name down on the waiting list at my local place.

48 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Me too. I spoke to five people and they all committed suicide. I wouldn't mind but one was a wrong number, he'd only phoned up for the cricket scores.

I lost my volunteer job with the Sally Army Soup Kitchen. They didn't ask me to come back after I said 'hurry up you lot some of us have homes to go to'...

Seriously though guys, I know I'm not one of the 'inner circle' or well knowns on here but it is a great place and plenty of info and banter flying around, but deep down I think this place is generally inhabited by genuinely decent people.

Merry Christmas everyone

Remember, if you don’t want to talk over the phone, you can email the Samaritans( jo@samaritans.org)and they’ll get back to you. I did this when I was teetering on the abyss and it helped massively. Just writing down feelings and conversing with someone via email pulled me back from the edge. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Remember, if you don’t want to talk over the phone, you can email the Samaritans( jo@samaritans.org)and they’ll get back to you. I did this when I was teetering on the abyss and it helped massively. Just writing down feelings and conversing with someone via email pulled me back from the edge. 

I think they also work by text message. 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Me too. I spoke to five people and they all committed suicide. I wouldn't mind but one was a wrong number, he'd only phoned up for the cricket scores.

Ah yes, I remember reading about that. They called it Lemming Tuesday. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

If the Samaritans were so great why is one of them being nice so noteworthy in the bible eh? 

Off Topic, but in a TIL moment, there are apparently less than 1000 Samaritans left, and due to a shortage of woman and a reduced genetic pool they are at risk of disappearing all together. 

I don't get this post at all.

Aye as Keith Houchen said, their email service is great too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Thought I'd put some little hints and tips in here for people that might struggle through the festive period. (Just what helps me to be honest, might not be for all)

Firstly, if the thought of being alone or not happy on Christmas Day is too much for you, try not to think of it as that particular day, and see it as just another day. In this instance, Saturday. The quicker you start seeing it as 'just another day' and nothing special, it becomes easier to deal with.

I'm OK with being on my own (mostly, not always) and I find it upsets others more than it does me. That's nice, as they care, and if anyone does the old 'head slanted to the side with the "aww" I quickly tell them I'm absolutely OK with it, and they needn't be sad about it, as I'm not.

My ex and my eldest worry about me endlessly throughout the day. I can't be with them this year because of reasons. (nothing bad, in fact the opposite, which I can't go into yet)

Despite me telling them I am absolutely fine, they still worry. As long as they're happy, I'm happy, it honestly doesn't bother me. I've been with them on previous Christmases (depending on what family are due to visit them) and I could've had them over Xmas, but I think it's much more important that they spend it with their Mum if we can't all be together.

It can be quite daunting spending the day on your own, especially if it's the first time, so find distractions and things to do.

I plan on watching the Lord Of The Rings films, and that to me seems like a good way to spend a rainy Saturday anyway, so that's exactly what I plan on doing. Could be games, music, film, TV, puzzles, whatever, but find something to occupy you.

Also, break it up into bitesize chunks. That way the day goes quicker. I plan on waking up whenever, giving the cat her bastard sized tub of catnip dreamies, making a coffee, taking that down the park so I can have a few cigarettes in peace, facetime the girls, then back to watch films, and make something to eat. Give yourself times if it helps. Break the day up, and it becomes more manageable.

Eating. Don't fixate on having a 'Christmas dinner'. Turkey is mostly shit anyway, and don't think that by not having a 'Christmas dinner' you're not doing the day right. I might have a roast, I might also have cheese on toast (HEY HEY LAD LIKE A BIT OF CRIMBO CHEESE ON EH) with jalapenos, depends how I feel. It really doesn't matter what you eat on a particular day does it?

Don't put any untoward pressure on yourself to 'enjoy' yourself too much. This goes for everyone to be honest. I used to ruin birthdays and special occasions by always thinking they had to be perfect and I'd put so much stress on myself to be that way, it would invariably go tits up.

Being pressured to have fun is terrible. If you don't want to put a Christmas hat on, don't. If you don't want to be on Uncle Ian's team for charades, don't. If your family insist on watching Mrs Browns Boys, walk out. It's OK to go and have a bit of time on your own, even on Christmas Day.

If being reminded of Christmas is painful, don't watch any of the mainstream channels. There are enough streaming services, and TV channels these days, that you can get away with not having to watch any Christmas related things (Father Ted being the exception. That HAS to be watched by law) if this triggers you.

Lastly, just try to focus on yourself. This is all fairly 'soft' advice and I am not a medical expert. I am just someone who has gone through all of the above issues, and this is what works for me.

Don't get me wrong, I could wake up tomorrow and my fucked up brain could pull me into a day long funk and refuse to let me out. I have had depression all my life, and have been to the bottom, and it fucking sucks big time. That people have to experience such pain and heartache makes me so sad. 

For now though, mine is just about manageable, but if you feel low at this moment, just remember that you have survived 100% of your awful days in your life already. That's a massive achievement, so keep going. Small steps lads, small steps. 

And before you know it, it will all be over and it will be Sunday. 

I wish every one of you peace and happiness, and a great time, whatever you're doing. Together, we can get through this. And as mentioned earlier, I am happy to talk to any one of you, in whatever capacity you feel you need to.

Love you all, Garry x

• Moderators
5 hours ago, stumobir said:

I’ve come across a new recipe! Roasted with grapes and a bit of balsamic chucked in at the end to make a glaze from the oozing grape juice. Gave them a trial run last week and they were great, the sweetness perfectly offsets the bitterness of the sprouts. 

I did that with pomegranate seeds; works really nicely!