Gig Etiquette

5pints

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I won’t because I don’t believe that that’s ever happened outside of wrestling

5 minutes ago,  Vamp said: 

What kinda loser wears a t-shirt of something they like? 

Most people?

You got whooshed. 

I was at an Alabama 3 gig and this pair of lads in front of me kept doing the darts dance (lean back and alternating points skyward). I kept having to step back to avoid being headbutted and he would apologise every time he backed into my straight arm which I had in front of me to preserve distance. I knew what was coming when they launched into Woke Up This Morning so I put my head down so he whacked the back of his head off of the top of my Easter Island bonce when he did an extended lean back. It hurt him as he spent the song clutching his stupid head. I hope I ruined his night. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Well that's fucking cunty behaviour. As a tall person I'll stand where I like at a gig, just because I might block some short arses view doesn't mean I should have to stand at the back. I paid for my ticket as much as anyone else. If you can't see then just fucking move. That's what I do. Don't be a fucking dickhead about it. Especially as at 5'6 you are going to be shorter than most people. Deal with it.

I have  a tiny friend who'll often just ask if she can switch places if a tall person moves right in front of her (she's not advocating a height based layout on the dancefloor, just for the times it's just one persons back that's her view). I'm tall, I'll try not to block people's views but it's basically inescapable.

As for all these ideas that we should fill up the dance floor in the order we arrived are nonsense. It's a gig, seeing the band is great but hearing the band is what you're there for. Dance, enjoy, sweat, move. Heck if someone offers to shake your hand you don't have to shake it but you can see it as a friendly gesture as opposed to some breach of etiquette.  Live music is about experiencing something with other people who love it too

Being 6ft 11, I get both sides of the argument regarding tall folk at gigs. I usually stand at the side of the stage near the front, where less people are likely to stand. I also check around me, in case someones who's short is standing behind me. Then I'll ask them if they wanna go in front of me. It's just a case of being respectful of the people around you and hopefully they'll equally be respectful. 

9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

@Keith Houchen yeah, I got whooshed big time. Although to @Vamp’s point (intended or not), I used to know a guy who made a point of not wearing a T-shirt of the band whose gig he was attending

I think it’s fine but wearing one you bought at the gig is a no no (as confirmed by Adam and Joe). Mate of mine bought a shirt at a gig and went to the bogs to change tops. When he went into the stall he heard someone joyously exclaim “Wahayyyy!! He’s having a shit” and learned a valuable lesson. When we go gigs together and see someone wearing a gig bought shirt we instantly say “Wahayyy he’s having a shit” so some good came of it!

3 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

As a tall bloke myself, this fucks me off. You know what you do when someone taller than you stands in your way? Find somewhere else to stand you passive-aggressive knob. Being tall doesn't relegate you to standing at the back like a school photograph.

It happened once at a gig 15 years ago. I apologise to any tall brethren that I’ve offended. 

• Paid Members

Two incidents spring to mind for me. I'm front row seeing Orange Goblin at Sub89 a few  years back. There's a couple of songs left in the set and this bloke barges his way through the crowd and decided he wants my spot. He spends the remaining time elbowing me and trying to push me out. Sort of rude but I love me some Goblin and I'm (tragically) rocking out hard so I'm not that bothered. But what pissed me off was the band finish and I turn to him with a big beaming smile on my face (because it was awesome) and say 'that was fucking awesome'. He looks likes like he's ready to beat the shit out of me with a face like thunder. I just walked off happy as larry.

The other one was when I saw ICP at the Electric Ballroom. I'm with my Wife about 3 rows front during the supports. Sensibly she decided to retreat before ICP come on so as not to get murdered in the serge. I'd love to say the same for the diminutive women to my right and her boyfriend.

The inevitable serge comes. I have no choice but to go with it. They spend the entire time furious. At lowest points being the dude tries to push me over into the crowd. But worse when crowd surfers pass I'm trying to helpfully pass them over and the women (pissed off crowd surfers exist at the front of a gig) reaches up and digs her nails into the back of the guy and twist pinches as hard as she can. Except its dark at this point and she actually does that to my under arm as I'm helping the dude past. Fuck me that hurt. Silly fuckers should have picked a sensible place to stand. Twats.

Also if you're going to crowd surf don't kick. If you kick I you get dropped on your head.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I used to know a guy who made a point of not wearing a T-shirt of the band whose gig he was attending

Only one? I know plenty of people who will tell you that's the rules.

I get it to some respect - do you really need to signal that you like a band when you've evidently paid money to go and see them live? I probably could have figured that much out.