Gig Etiquette

5pints

• Paid Members

I go to plenty of gigs and have rarely encountered the sorts of issues described in this thread.  I might wear a t shirt of the band I'm seeing, or I might not - I don't tend to give it much thought. I try not to hamper the enjoyment of others by doing things that might negatively impact their enjoyment and it all seems to go pretty well. 

• Moderators

As a 6'7" fella I have generally tried to stand in places with the most minimal impact to others, typically on the sides, against walls, poles etc. When I was younger and more apt to get up front yeah I probably did "ruin" some peoples nights but also back then was going fully into mosh pits and I don't think being tall in a mosh pit really causes much in the way of blocking someone.

That said I vividly remember some gig I went to where I was standing towards the side of a pole, around the middle of the venue. I duck out at one point to get a drink and this troll of a person at the back grabs my arm and goes "oi tall people like you should be at the back, I can't see", there were at least 15 rows of people between me and her. I said I'm already standing next to a pole and if she wanted a better view to move up front to which she goes "I don't like being surrounded by people". I just rolled my eyes at that and walked off.

Most other cunt behaviour I've seen at gigs comes from drunk men, and couples. The men have a tendency to sexually assault women having a grope here and there of people crowd surfing etc or slamming in to them and saying it was just the mosh pit but you can tell there is something darker going on. My go to move was normally to casually trip those cunts up at some point or just wreck them in the mosh pit.

Couples tend to just be annoying - someone wanting to be on someones shoulders, sloppily snogging in front of you, and these days trying to take an "usie" meaning you get to awkwardly be a witness to them shoving a phone in your face as they capture their love in front of the band that you're trying to see.

• Paid Members
On 9/16/2021 at 1:30 PM, BigDaddyB said:

Being 6ft 11, I get both sides of the argument regarding tall folk at gigs. I usually stand at the side of the stage near the front, where less people are likely to stand. I also check around me, in case someones who's short is standing behind me. Then I'll ask them if they wanna go in front of me. It's just a case of being respectful of the people around you and hopefully they'll equally be respectful. 

I love the slight menace in this, like you'll hammer them into the ground if they step out of line. That "hopefully" carries all the threat that barely needs to be spoken. 

• Paid Members

was at a Biffy Clyro show last night (which was quality) and there two men stood in front of me, one 40ish, the other 50ish. They were clearly Biffy Clyro fans as they were singing along, but they were making a point of putting their hands up in front of everybody's phone who dared tried to take a photo, they'd then mock whoever it was trying taking the photo. Outside of that they generally just being a nuisance. I eventually just shuffled 10 feet over and got out of their way. 

I get taking photos and videos at a gig is a touchy subject, but there's no need to be a dick about the whole thing.

The one ended up getting lamped by someone during the encore, so i wasnt the only only one they were annoying.

I remember seeing The Pixies at T In The Park in 2004 and as it was the first time, bellowing along with them, as I am prone to do. Not an issue with a noisy band at a festival, you would think.

Some arsehole tapped me on the shoulder to tell me that he'd waited 15 years to see them and had to come to hear Frank Black and not me. I was gutted as I'd lost all my mates and it instantly dampened my mood.

Cue the biggest Glaswegian (honestly must've been 6 foot 10 and around 300 pounds) aggressively (read: just normal for Glasgow) ask me what he had said, so I relayed it to him and he told the original moaner to "pish right off to fuck", grabbed me in the worlds tightest headlock and screamed along to Debaser with me.

He didn't let go of me for the whole set and I was petrified and enthralled in equal measure.

I hope that dudes doing OK.

9 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Only one? I know plenty of people who will tell you that's the rules.

I get it to some respect - do you really need to signal that you like a band when you've evidently paid money to go and see them live? I probably could have figured that much out.

Is it any different to wearing a football/sports shirt though when going to watch them play?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Some arsehole tapped me on the shoulder to tell me that he'd waited 15 years to see them and had to come to hear Frank Black and not me. I was gutted as I'd lost all my mates and it instantly dampened my mood.

thats similar to the Biffy Clyro experience i had last night, my mood was dampened indirectly because i could see that they were upsetting other people for no reason, just being arseholes.

The Clash were playing over the speakers before Biffy Clyro came on and the older of the two turned around and shouted as loud as he could to no one in particular, "if it wasn't for these, Biffy Clyro wouldn't exist, The Clash". Yeah, thanks for that.

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

the "Worst gig crowds" question always throws up some surprising answers. 

Slayer? Limp Bizkit? No problem. Whereas I found Depeche Mode to be full of insufferable arseholes who are obsessive and wealthy enough to follow them around on tour, who balk when you start moving too much. Everybody protecting their little space around them. I can't do concerts like that. 

Oasis at Hampden in 2005 was the worst crowd I've ever seen and the only time I've been in a fight at a gig (well, someone threw a punch at me - same thing).

There was no booze on sale inside the stadium so loads of pissed up neds got extra drunk before they got there and that lead to there being a nasty atmosphere almost all day. And it just kicked off as soon as the came onstage and the pushing started.

Horrible day. The Super Furries were excellent as a support though. 

On 9/16/2021 at 6:31 AM, WyattSheepMask said:

I went to see Status Quo a few years back when they were doing an acoustic tour, think it might have been the final tour they did before Rick Parfitt died.

We were sat towards the back so could see more or less the whole audience. An all seater show but that didn’t stop this pocket of people towards the front right of the stage wanting to get up after the first few minutes. One guy was having a great time and constantly turning round telling everyone to get up and gesticulating with his arms. That’s one thing but doing the same to the guy in a wheelchair and telling him to get up is a big no-no

The Quo have a terrible snobbish crowd that travel to all the gigs. As they're in the fan club they manage to buy up the front couple of rows almost all the time so are allowed to stand at the barrier. It's treated like a social club rather than a gig where they all just chat and mingle during the show, barely watching the band. 

There is/was a guy that would go to all the Xmas tour gigs wearing a Santa hat that had his Quo Fan Forum username printed on it. "Crapmodem" it was. Just desperate to be noticed. 

The couple of times @Bettencourtand I have managed to get to the front to stand you get lot's of tutting and dirty looks from them for daring to enjoy yourself and sing/dance along. 

4 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Is it any different to wearing a football/sports shirt though when going to watch them play?

Yeah. It’s massively different. 

At the Nick Cave and Warren Ellis concert tonight, there was plenty of Bad Seeds t shirts as you’d expect. There was one dead handsome bastard with long flowing hair who turned up in a Grinderman shirt. The prick, the beautiful funny prick.