AEW All Out 2021 - September 5th

Supremo

Danielson and Omega could have an hour long draw on tv for the title and you don’t need either to win as you’d expect both to be equals. Kenny can say well he can’t beat me, and Bryan can say he didn’t lose. Worked before in the Okada series.
Probably the first guy of that level Omega has had in AEW to have that level of match with, which has been a criticism so far he’s not been hitting those 6* levels 

What is the obsession with people wanting Punk and Danielson to team up so quickly?

You've got two of the greatest singles wrestlers of the 21st Century, who could do wonders for some of the younger talent on the current roster. I don't see any need to pair them up as a team this early, even less now that the Bucks have lost the title. What genuine reason is there for them to fight Matt & Nick Jackson now? 

I think at this stage, both have more to offer on their own than as a team. Especially as Danielson seems to have quickly outlined his intentions of going after the Elite and probably Omega as the end goal. Punk has had no interactions, on screen at least, in that regard. He admitted on his return he wanted to come to AEW to work with the younger talent and settle a few old scores - he's worked with younger talent in Darby, maybe next is to settle one of his scores with somebody like Moxley or even Cabana.

7 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

What is the obsession with people wanting Punk and Danielson to team up so quickly?

Punks been hinting at it across various interviews in the build up to Sunday. The lead is being taken from that I imagine 

26 minutes ago, JimmyAnderson said:

What genuine reason is there for them to fight Matt & Nick Jackson now?

The Young Bucks are part of The Elite. If AEW is adhering to the rankings, then Danielson can't just rock up and demand a title match. The Young Bucks are utterly loathsome heels. At some point if you were to have Hangman return and challenge Omega, it would be pretty cool to have The Bucks Vs Punk/Danielson as the semi Main Event. Not saying it should be right away, but it is definitely a huge match that could and should happen at some point.

31 minutes ago, Louch said:

Danielson and Omega could have an hour long draw on tv for the title and you don’t need either to win as you’d expect both to be equals. Kenny can say well he can’t beat me, and Bryan can say he didn’t lose. Worked before in the Okada series.

Very good idea, and maybe the way they will go.

• Paid Members

I love doing the time limit draw with Danielson - I know Omega and PAC had a draw early on, but have AEW done a "TV time remaining" time limit draw yet? That could be fun. Hell, I wouldn't object to them giving over an entire episode of Rampage to just that match - have them open the show and just wrestle out the entire length of the broadcast. 

Otherwise, Punk & Danielson against The Young Bucks seems an obvious one - for now, Punk's having fun being back in wrestling, but sooner or later he's going to set his sights on The Elite and the AEW Championship. Maybe even play on that he's not quite ready to get that serious yet, he's still enjoying himself. Have him do a couple of six-man tags with Darby and Sting before eventually getting pulled into the Bucks feud.

At Grand Slam, do Danielson & Christian Cage vs. Adam Cole & Kenny Omega, or Danielson, Cage & Jungle Boy vs. Adam Cole & The Young Bucks or Good Brothers. Some combination of The Elite that doesn't involve Omega yet. The babyfaces go over, but immediately get jumped and beaten down by the rest of The Elite. A couple of midcard faces try and make the save but fail. Hangman Page returns to singlehandedly run off all the rest of The Elite, comes face-to-face with Omega. Maybe even snatches the title belt from him. Omega backs down rather than fighting him. 

So you have Omega fighting on two fronts - he has Danielson gunning for him, but also Hangman Page is back. Both are rising up the ranks. Omega and Callis are doing everything they can to try and protect him.

If there's a big "special" episode of Dynamite in October, set up a big eight-man tag. Maybe even Blood & Guts 2. The Elite vs. Danielson, Christian, Hangman, and a surprise partner. Maybe even have The Elite take out their original partner (Jungle Boy?) and play on who would have the guts to stand up and risk everything to face The Elite. Either on the night, or on the preceding episode of Rampage, CM Punk steps up as the fourth men, after some speculation about whether he was going to get involved in The Elite's business or not. The babyfaces go over, now Omega has CM Punk to worry about as well.

Heading into Full Gear, Omega throws the Young Bucks in Punk and Bryan's paths. They have to get through them to get to Kenny, now Omega only has to worry about Hangman Page in the main event. Also start sowing dissent between Bryan and Punk - they're both after the same thing, so how well will they function as a team? Because of that, it almost doesn't matter which team goes over - if the babyfaces lose, it's because they're not a team, not on the same page, and up against the best tag team in the company. There's no shame in that.

Hangman Page wins the AEW Title at Full Gear, and it sends The Elite spiralling. Omega and Don Callis flip out, and disappear from TV for a little while - maybe even get suspended by Tony Khan for wrecking shit after the loss. I'd have Don get bumped in the Hangman Page match too, just really gear everything towards sending the crowd home happy. So many babyfaces rush out to celebrate with Page that the remaining members of The Elite don't even dare get involved.

On the next episode of Dynamite, The Elite are in disarray without the belts, with Kenny and Don not there. Adam Cole steps up to try and whip them into shape. Elsewhere on the show, advertise Hangman Page's Beer Bash Title Celebration. Have the Dark Order, Jurassic Express, all the most loveable babyfaces in there to celebrate with him. Get Bryan Danielson hanging out with The Dark Order and being a goofball with them - Danielson might want the belt, but he's still happy for Hangman. The last person to come out to congratulate Hangman - maybe even after most of the others have left - is CM Punk. Have Hangman - or maybe John Silver or one of the other Dark Order guys who can afford to be a little goofier - offer Punk a drink, just to recreate that GIF of a fan offering him a drink from last week. End it with Punk turning on Hangman - by this point, he can afford to be a heel, and it gives Hangman a major non-Elite threat to deal with. Punk can talk about Hangman being a neurotic drunk, playing the whole Straight Edge heel angle. Danielson can feud with Adam Cole in the meantime.

None of that precludes Punk, Danielson or anyone else working with younger, less established talent either. They can absolutely do Danielson vs. Garcia in there somewhere, and I'm sure they will. Danielson & Punk could have some warm up matches before the Bucks match.

The other thing is - have they done a multi-man match for the AEW belt yet? I don't think they have. A Danielson/Omega/Hangman Triple Threat could be something special.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Louch said:

Punks been hinting at it across various interviews in the build up to Sunday. The lead is being taken from that I imagine 

Also it would give a majority of fans what they want in that it clears the title picture for a returning Hangman Page.

On another note if Omega's injuries are as serious as some sites suggest and he needs time off, it surely has to be sooner rather than later? It cannot be good working/training/working out hurt. Obviously the AEW schedule is pretty light but mentally it must eventually take a toll? It's something I always wonder about having trained hurt before myself for one of my other endeavours. It's not like the 80s and 90s where you can just pill up and power through. Anyway that's my for the afternoon.

35 minutes ago, Factotum said:

The Young Bucks are part of The Elite. If AEW is adhering to the rankings, then Danielson can't just rock up and demand a title match. The Young Bucks are utterly loathsome heels. At some point if you were to have Hangman return and challenge Omega, it would be pretty cool to have The Bucks Vs Punk/Danielson as the semi Main Event. Not saying it should be right away, but it is definitely a huge match that could and should happen at some point.

Aye, I don't doubt it'd be a great match and a spectacle that will have the wrestling world talking. I just don't see any need to rush Punk & Danielson together. Danielson can go after the Bucks and the rest of the Elite alongside Christian and Jurassic Express for the time being. Punk, for now, serves a better purpose (in my eyes) as a singles wrestler.

At some point down the line, I think it's a belting idea. But I'm in no rush to see it within a couple of weeks/months of Punk and Danielson debuting. 

• Awards Moderator
39 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The other thing is - have they done a multi-man match for the AEW belt yet? I don't think they have. A Danielson/Omega/Hangman Triple Threat could be something special.

They did Omega vs PAC vs Orange Cassidy for the belt at the last PPV, it was a midcard match so no huge deal compared to the above suggestion but it has been done.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

They did Omega vs PAC vs Orange Cassidy for the belt at the last PPV, it was a midcard match so no huge deal compared to the above suggestion but it has been done.

The AEW landscape has changed so much in just a few months that that match already feels like it took place last year.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed that show enormously - the cage match was the highlight by far, but almost everything had something going on. It was completely the right call not to do the Hangman thing here. It'd have been overshadowed with too much going on. Let it be Kenny's sole focus when it happens. And a Kenny that's beaten Bryan Danielson before that will be even more hideously smug.

The Paul Wight match was the one down-side, and it was short, at least. When he came in, I think there was some assumption that he had a little left in the tank, but post-surgery, he really doesn't. His knees look inverted and he's beginning to move like late-era Andre as a result. Poor sod looks so uncomfortable. I reckon this one was a little bit of a favour if anything. He gets a nice, feel-good moment, with smoke and mirrors all around to make it look like he's capable of having a match. If he recovers more, we might get something with Shaq, but if this is as good as we're going to get, I'd be happy if he retired on that one.