AEW All Out 2021 - September 5th

Supremo

14 hours ago, sukhy said:

I wonder how WWE PPVs would do now if they were actually on PPV, rather than the network. 

Based on absolutely nothing and excluding Wrestlemania as that always bloated the figures due to doing the best number most years, if AEW can do 200K when they’re averaging between 800k-1million viewers, I would imagine that WWE would probably equal that or maybe be slightly above that when they’re averaging around double into total viewership (not going to get into the demo talk)

5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Based on absolutely nothing and excluding Wrestlemania as that always bloated the figures due to doing the best number most years, if AEW can do 200K when they’re averaging between 800k-1million viewers, I would imagine that WWE would probably equal that or maybe be slightly above that when they’re averaging around double into total viewership (not going to get into the demo talk)

While it’s impossible to give an accurate answer, that’s a flawed comparison. Ratings are fairly irrelevant here, it’s whether or not you can convert that number into a PPV buy. AEW has a slightly smaller, but very invested, audience. That’s going to help as far as PPV numbers go.

The thing to compare WWE to, if you’re going to do that, isn’t AEW, it’s themselves. WWE had a much larger audience in 2012-13 and even then struggled to convert it into a better PPV buy than 200,000. There’s nothing about that product or their big show line-ups that would suggest to me that their PPV buys wouldn’t have fallen just like their viewership has.

I just can’t imagine that their plummeting ratings over the past decade would have resulted in a better PPV buy rate than ten years ago.

Edited by RedRooster

20 minutes ago, Nick James said:

As if ratings talk wasn't boring enough, we now have hypothetical ratings talk.

Nah, I think it’s fair enough to find it interesting. Granted, the hypothetical stuff is probably a little pointless (but it’s a handful of throwaway comments unlikely to go anywhere), but the actual ratings are interesting - it feels like we’re witnessing the growth of one company, and the potential decline of an absolute behemoth. 

Plus there’s an element of it being nice to see the thing you enjoy do well. It’s to AEW’s credit that some of us are prone to this level of geekery. I fucking love it. 

Edited by RedRooster