Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Yeah I'm hoping that by choosing the Monday London show I don't have as many fucking idiot kids in the crowd. I doubt it though...

Most young people are great at gigs, but with big pop shows it's different.

Edited by Merzbow
Posted
On 10/4/2025 at 11:09 AM, Jesse said:

Saw Ethel Cain at the Apollo last night. Love her music, and I think she's amazing live so was well worth it but I've seen ehr twice now (once in London, once in Manchester) and it's by far the worst gig audience I've ever experienced.

I feel like I've been lucky to not see the complaints people have about modern audiences when I go see films or gigs, I think likely because I'm a tight arse who won't generally pay the money for bigger artists/venues. Two or three times she had to stop a song because of issues in the Stalls, people around us were constantly talking through songs or fucking about during the slower instrumentals to make themselves laugh. Felt like an audience that were largely there to hear her play Crush and American Teenager and weren't too arsed about the rest.

I saw her a couple of times opening for boygenius. Luckily the audience were hanging off of her every word on both nights. 

Posted

Had the opposite with Ethel last night, a very very young crowd and while they did pop mostly for the two big tracks but they were into the rest even when she started up an entire harsh noise segment, no fucking around or talking really and only stopped once 'cause some poor lass was overwhelmed. I do think it's weird how she has such a young fanbase but the lyrics and themes are so so dark and sexual, not even in the typical pop way... it's just grotty as hell in the best way on Perverts.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Am a regular at Bowes Park Folk Club up in Bounds Green; have been probably for about a decade now, I think. It's had its ups and downs, but in the past several years it's been run particularly well, drawing in fresh crowds (which, for a folk club, is kind of essential given the typical demographic, especially after Covid). It's monthly, every second Thursday of the month, for anyone interested.

Anyway, the most recent one I went to was last week, and the main act was Hunter Muskett, whom I'd seen there before; like last time, they did a great gig. Just a wonderful sound - three guys, guitar, bass, mandolin, and even a glockenspiel for a cover of Buddy Holly's Everyday.

The odd thing about them is that they were initially active from 1968 to 74, broke up, and then re-formed in 2010! It blew me away that these are guys who I was able to chat to about comparable sounds that weren't necessarily inspired by but contemporaneous to the likes of Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, The Beatles, Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, etc. I mentioned to one of the guitarists how I loved his style of guitar, as I'm also a big fan of Mark Knopfler, and he said "Yeah, we were all doing that back then though". (I did make sure to be careful with my wording, as I was well aware their act pre-dated Dire Straits by some years.)

They're not some "never-was" band, either - seems they got signed by Decca back in the day, and at one point they had the recently-late Danny Thompson as their bassist for some sessions. Their third member is the only one who's stayed within the music industry since their break-up; he's worked with a fair few big names as a result.

Just a very cool experience - a lovely gig, and then a nice chat afterwards about stuff you're not likely to hear from acts on the folk club circuit. 

If you're interested in checking them out, they're doing a tour round the UK and Ireland. I highly recommend them.

Edited by Carbomb
John Aston Jr.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just got back from seeing Remember Monday in Sheffield. Considering they only represented us at Eurovision a few months ago the crowd was tiny but they played a blinder. Best harmonies I've heard since I saw The Beach Boys over a decade ago, oozed charisma and the songs were surprisingly good. 

Posted

Was supposed to be at Turbonegro's Halloween night show this week. But MS is kicking my ass and need to rest if i have any hope of making it to Damnation. Whacked it up on Ticketmaster at a reduced cost, So fingers crossed. Downside to chronic illness is definitely the money pissed up the wall when stuff like this happens. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Went to see Ethel Cain in the Hammersmith Apollo a couple of weeks ago. I'd heard her albums a couple of times, but I don't have a massive connection with her - it was my wife's choice. 

 

She was incredible, though. It was a proper assault on the senses - flashing lights, noise etc. I really enjoyed myself - she is so talented. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I saw Don Broco tonight at Webster Hall in New York and they went off. What a fantastic show. I hadn’t heard of them before Download this year but saw the size of the crowd they pulled in and was impressed with their sound so I gave them a listen after the festival. I’ve been looking forward to this gig for ages and if I hadn’t badly sprained my ankle yesterday in Sleepy Hollow (not a euphemism) then I would’ve properly joined in the moshing. Can’t wait to see them in Wembley in a few weeks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...