RIP ‘Beautiful Bobby’ Eaton

WyattSheepMask

Incredibly sad news. As has been said, one of the absolute good guys. He was apparently the longest tenured WCW wrestler even though he wasnt used a lot because people just liked him and wanted him to have a job.

His work was SO good - the Alabama Jam remains an absolute thing of beauty. Just exquisite. 

RIP 'Beautiful' Bobby.

• Paid Members

Arn and Bobby were, rightly, the tag team of that group, and it's criminal that they never got a run with the belts. If anybody deserved a run on top it would have been them. Mind you they were one of those teams that you could stick your tag champs against and they'd come out looking like a million dollars. They wouldn't have needed the belts to get over, but it would have been a heck of a thank you for them. 

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

One of those guys I probably saw a ton of times over the years and didn't appreciate him nearly enough.

What should I be watching of his?

Tell you where to start. Midnights Vs Southern Boys from Great American Bash 1990. First time I saw Eaton, great in that. Super great southern tag match. 

• Paid Members

This has genuinely upset me.  The guy was just an amazing wrestler no matter who he teamed with or in his rare singles runs.  Everything looked right, and i’d happily rank him a above anyone then or now.  Also the only guy who I have never heard a bad word against in any shoot interview.  Everyone talked about hi pm with love and affection, and his acts of kindness are legendary.  No age at all.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Arn and Bobby were, rightly, the tag team of that group, and it's criminal that they never got a run with the belts. If anybody deserved a run on top it would have been them. Mind you they were one of those teams that you could stick your tag champs against and they'd come out looking like a million dollars. They wouldn't have needed the belts to get over, but it would have been a heck of a thank you for them. 

They were the champs in early 92 but yeah not exactly a ‘run’, they only had them a few months.

157-FA6-BC-9-FF5-4-F47-8-CD6-C711-BA25-D

Great team though, as you’d expect. Two of the absolute best ever when it came to tag team wrestling. Shame they never got a longer run as a team but the Dangerous Alliance as a whole was only a thing for less than a full year probably. Which is crazy really. After the Alliance were done, Eaton and Double A carried on teaming but had that weird spell where they were managed by Michael Hayes as babyfaces and it didn’t really click. By early 93 they were done as a team. If they had a few years together as a steady team I think they’d have been as good as any team either were a part of. 

1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

One of those guys I probably saw a ton of times over the years and didn't appreciate him nearly enough.

What should I be watching of his?

Definitely watch the Midnights vs Southern Boys match @Chili mentioned. Incredible match. Anything of theirs against the Rock n Roll Express is a no brainer, as is their stuff against The Fantastics and Pillman & Zenk. 

I’d also highly recommend his singles matches vs Brad Armstrong from Wrestlewar 91, vs Arn Anderson from Superbrawl 1, vs Ric Flair from one of the Clashes in 91. He had some really fun TV matches with Dustin Rhodes and Ricky Steamboat in 91/92 as well. But honestly, even random short matches later on from Nitro and Saturday Night, they weren’t his best work but I always found him enjoyable to watch just for how smooth and effortless he made everything look. 

F00A2606-FB2F-4B1D-B0E3-28AD81232B36.gif

• Paid Members

@wandshogun09I never knew they'd won them. They definitely had the pedigree to be one of the great tag teams if they'd had time. The lineage of the Midnights and the Horsemen. I'm just listening to the Observer Radio tribute to him, and apparently Bert Prentiss and Jody Hamilton have passed away as well.

62 is no age. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/bobby-eaton-funeral-expenses?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

So a Go Fund Me was set up for the funeral expenses and within a few hours the $10,000 target has been smashed with over $18,000 being raised.

It feels like a really weird measuring stick but it does show how loved and respected he was by friends, family and fans that so much was able to be raised so quickly.

Edited by LSM