RIP ‘Beautiful Bobby’ Eaton

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On 8/5/2021 at 10:40 AM, LSM said:

https://www.wrestling-news.net/dont-tell-bobby-results-beautiful-bobby-eaton-appreciation-night/136076/

"Don’t Tell Bobby"– A Night Of Appreciation

This is one of the nicest and funniest things I remember about Bobby from recent times.

This show was put on without Bobby knowing anything that was happening. Bobby wasn't on social media and didn't follow current events so the event could be publicised without him knowing anything about it. Jim Cornette was also able to promote it freely on his podcasts knowing full well Bobby didn't listen to them!

When he was booked for the show he thought it was just for an autograph signing, however upon arrival he found out that the live gate and all proceeds from the FITE.tv sales were being donated to him.

What a class man Bobby Eaton was.

The moment Bobby found out;

I love that he’s still got a little carrier bag with him. No doubt full of spare pens, chewing gum, tweezers, nail clippers and various bits and bobs incase anyone needs anything. 

Edited by wandshogun09

28 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The moment Bobby found out;

I love that he’s still got a little carrier bag with him. No doubt full of spare pens, chewing gum, tweezers, nail clippers and various bits and bobs incase anyone needs anything. 

In fact it's around 52 seconds in. If so, brilliant that Bobby just wanders in, waves, almost looks like he's about to settle in and Cornette is very obviously 'Bobby mate, all the shit on the wall is you' and Eaton's body language of 'oh yeah'. Class. Shame it was his death that reminded me of him. I love that fact about being WCW's longest contacted wrestler besides Sting. 

RIP Bobby

So great to reread all the little stories of him just being an adorable grandad to everyone ever.

He's definitely one of those guys I go back to if I want to watch a quick quality old match. I overlooked him when I was younger, purely because he looked a bit normal next to your Stings and Flairs, and the mullet and starry tights look seemed to be everyone in the late Eighties. Beautiful was the best way to describe his style though. Someone said it right earlier - everything just looked effortless to him.

• Paid Members

I’m not going to write anything everyone else has already said about the calibre of Eatons work, but one thing that always struck me about Eaton was his selflessness. When I first started watching new-to-air Nitros in spring 1997 not long after the Bluebloods split up, Bobby was turning up every now and again with basically no fanfare to do a nice clean job for someone on the way up. Fairly sure he was the first guy on TV to lose to the Dragon Sleeper when Ultimo Dragon started going home with that instead of the Tiger suplex. He could have been any other Mark Starr or similar enhancement talent and it struck me as unusual that someone who’d been such a huge star in the Midnights was doing clean jobs to anyone who was getting pushed. I imagine egos prevent a lot of guys with history from taking a cheque as a JTTS and while for those that do there’s an element of “it’s a living” but with Bobby I always got the impression he was happy to give back. As you’ve no doubt already read, giving was who Bobby Eaton was. Rest in peace.

Edited by air_raid