2021 holidays

Tamura

I did try and look for the old thread but it appears to have gone AWOL. Obviously international travel can be risky right now due to quarantine rules changing while you're on holidays, but there's still plenty to see in this country. I could pretend I'm being responsible and not travelling abroad needlessly and have decided to stay in the UK, but I'd be lying since this trip was actually booked all the way back in 2019 but last year's trip got postponed for obvious reasons.

Possibly one of the most difficult places to get to in the UK (except for Rockall), it's in the Atlantic Ocean about another forty miles northwest of the rest of the Outer Hebrides. To get there you have
to go on a trip organised by various tour companies who operate in the Hebrides, the ones I've found run trips from Skye or Lewis and Harris. You can only go beteen April and September (possibly late March and early October too), as the weather is considered too bad for a good chance of actually being able to get to St Kilda.

spacer.png

St Kilda is an archipegal of several islands and sea stacks, the biggest island Hirta was continuously inhabited for centuries before all the remaining inhabitants were evacuated at their own request in 1930 as the dwindling population was making life too difficult. Since then there's been no permanent residents, although there are some scientists and National Trust volunteers that stay there for brief periods, plus there's a missile tracking station run by the army too. But apart from that, it's uninhabited. Except for the millions of sea birds that nest on the islands, and some sheep. If you're into abandoned things, it's a great place to go. Plus I get to spend a few days on the Isle of Skye too, which is a big tourist attraction in its own right.

Anyone else going anywhere good this year?

• Paid Members

I came back from New York the week the news started giving it how bad COVID was going to be. I recall me and my wife spotting a row of people wearing masks on the plane and saying how stupid and weird it was.

How naive we were.

• Paid Members

I was in Manchester on the weekend for a mini-break/family visit and it was like COVID didn't happen at all. Thousands out with no coverings. Did my best to keep distance but as I only had my 2nd jab *last night* I think I'll stay covered at least for this w/e and next.

I was due to have been going to a villa in Lanzerote with my family in one month's time but we made the decision a couple of weeks back to postpone it and thanks to my cousin's amazing negotiating, we got the booking pushed to August 2023. My mum felt it was too much a risk, especially as 2 of my nieces and my youngest nephew are aged 2 and under, this way when we do go the kids will all be 2 years older (the oldest nearly 12, then 7, 4, 3 and 2 as opposed to nearly 10, 5, 2, 1 and 5 months now)

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, seph said:

I was in Manchester on the weekend for a mini-break/family visit and it was like COVID didn't happen at all. Thousands out with no coverings. Did my best to keep distance but as I only had my 2nd jab *last night* I think I'll stay covered at least for this w/e and next.

It was looking like that in my way home from work tonight. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, seph said:

That’s why the figures are sky high.  For some reason the dopey fuckers round here think they are invincible.

• Paid Members

I’m booked to go to New Orleans in September and I’m praying it’s going to happen. There’s a Band of Brothers Anniversary Symposium and accompanying conference at the WWII Museum and I’ve got an all expenses paid trip booked. I’ve been working with the actors over the last few months on virtual events (looking to make them physical soon) so I’m flying over as part of the team. I have everything crossed that travel corridor thing is open by then.

I’m due to fly out to Gran Canaria later this month (3 weeks today).

All “rumours” say that the Canary Islands are due to be placed on the green list, but then they’ve said that since these lists came about so we’ll see.

If it gets cancelled we’ll likely book somewhere on the green list.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Monkee said:

I’m booked to go to New Orleans in September and I’m praying it’s going to happen. There’s a Band of Brothers Anniversary Symposium and accompanying conference at the WWII Museum and I’ve got an all expenses paid trip booked. I’ve been working with the actors over the last few months on virtual events (looking to make them physical soon) so I’m flying over as part of the team. I have everything crossed that travel corridor thing is open by then.

That sounds very cool. 

• Paid Members

I'm getting married in late September but we're not sure about what to do for the honeymoon. Obviously we both want to go somewhere overseas but that's all up in the air. Back up plan is somewhere in Scotland or Ireland but as neither of us drive that limits our possibilities a bit. Also, the UK in October isn't great weather wise. Any suggestions anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Absolutely devastated to be back home after three weeks in Croatia, a country on the amber list (despite having a vaccination rate of 30%, not far behind the likes of France and Italy) and not that many Covid cases around. It was nice to have some normality and see folk taking it easy, wearing their masks where they're supposed to and back here folk are cutting about the airport and buses with none on, not giving you any space etc.

It was my first time visiting the country and I'll definitely be back, very impressed with the friendliness of the locals, the standard of food, accomodations etc. The islands are also amazing...proposed to my girlfriend on one (she said yes thankfully) and really found the history of the war and some of the stories from various sides interesting and terrifying to think it was only 20-30 years ago.

Anyway, home to watch the footy before work tomorrow. Next up, Russia in November! 

• Paid Members

We've got a booking to go to Tampa Bay for some r+r in August, and then we're going over to the UK to see my parents for the first time since 2018, staying at a farmhouse just outside of Kendal. Never been to the lake district, looking forward to it.

Next November, we're having a "our finances have never been this good, fuck it" blow out massive holiday at Disneyworld. Staying in one of the fancy hotels, getting the top grub ticket, special ride passes. Going to owe everything to the Mouse.

• Paid Members

I live in a place called Newbury and I’m going away between Christmas and New Year to Basingstoke, which is twenty minutes away!

There’s a log cabin place there in the middle of the forest that’s great, and as it’s in the forest you really could be anywhere, so if you don’t want to leave the site there’s no need to travel to be honest. I’ll be spending a few days going out for morning walks in the fresh air and spending the rest of the day in the hot tub, can’t wait