2021 holidays

Tamura

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm sure that'll be lovely, but as someone that has lived in Basingstoke,  I'm struggling to get my head round it :)

It’s a bit like this

B2F5FA66-B28D-442E-8BAB-B79FC721FFCA.thumb.jpeg.34bd11668e948dda4d75304873da9690.jpeg

You’re telling me you didn’t love Amazingstoke?! 

3 hours ago, waters44 said:

I live in a place called Newbury and I’m going away between Christmas and New Year to Basingstoke, which is twenty minutes away!

There’s a log cabin place there in the middle of the forest that’s great, and as it’s in the forest you really could be anywhere, so if you don’t want to leave the site there’s no need to travel to be honest. I’ll be spending a few days going out for morning walks in the fresh air and spending the rest of the day in the hot tub, can’t wait

Enjoy.  We took a weekend break to a cottage in Llanarmon, North Wales just over three weeks ago and it was just what was needed.  Spent plenty of time in the hot tub but gotten bitten to pieces by midges.  Also, stopped off in Chester on the way back, where I went to Uni, which was the first time I'd been back in over a decade so that was a cool way to finish things.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Magnum Milano

My brother won 4 tickets to Whipsnade Zoo so we are going next week and going to spend a couple of days in the area. After that, it's not a holiday strictly speaking but it is for me - I'm going to Yorkshire for the best part of a month to stay with my parents, and then beginning of September we have 5 days booked in the Lake District. After 15 months of sitting at home, I'm really looking forward to it. Just hope to stay Covid free.

• Paid Members
On 7/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, Suplex Sinner said:

Next up, Russia in November! 

Be absolutely, resolutely sure you want to do Russia - my parents went in 2019, and the sheer fucking paperwork just to get a visa/permit to go there on holiday was ridiculous. Multiple visits to the embassy, at least 14 forms to fill in (and that was with the paid-for assistance of the embassy clerks). They had a great time, but my dad, who's a big fan of Russia (language, culture, etc.), said he's not doing it ever again.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Be absolutely, resolutely sure you want to do Russia - my parents went in 2019, and the sheer fucking paperwork just to get a visa/permit to go there on holiday was ridiculous. Multiple visits to the embassy, at least 14 forms to fill in (and that was with the paid-for assistance of the embassy clerks). They had a great time, but my dad, who's a big fan of Russia (language, culture, etc.), said he's not doing it ever again.

I know it's a nightmare (lived and worked there for years in the early 2000s) and the current Covid situation is ridiculous as well as the UK is the only country from which they are enforcing 14 day quarantines and even more tests before they will let you out into the wild. 

It's still on the itinerary but will see nearer the time whether we can be bothered with the hassle or not. Preliminary call to the embassy to check the status was a waste of time so I'm not overly hopeful.

It is a cracking place once you're in though.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

my parents went in 2019, and the sheer fucking paperwork just to get a visa/permit to go there on holiday was ridiculous.

We went in 2019 too and the paperwork in our case was a doddle. From memory, it involved filling out a form online, then heading down to the embassy, leaving our passports behind. They returned to us in the post with visas added not long afterwards. I wonder whether a bit of racism was involved: we were all pig-pink in our party, whereas I presume your folks weren't.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We went in 2019 too and the paperwork in our case was a doddle. From memory, it involved filling out a form online, then heading down to the embassy, leaving our passports behind. They returned to us in the post with visas added not long afterwards. I wonder whether a bit of racism was involved: we were all pig-pink in our party, whereas I presume your folks weren't.

Could very well be - my mum's white, but my dad is, as Bob Mortimer might say, of a more Mediterranean hue.

1 hour ago, Suplex Sinner said:

the current Covid situation is ridiculous as well as the UK is the only country from which they are enforcing 14 day quarantines and even more tests before they will let you out into the wild. 

That's the opposite of ridiculous, if you ask me. You lot are riddled with it. 

Bit the bullet & booked flights and accommodation for August to visit my pals in Edinburgh & London who I haven't seen for 2 years. I'm fully pfizer'd and we're opening up non essential travel from next week so hopefully I'll be able to make it over before the inevitable lockdowns again. Even the minor change of scenery will be a big boost at this stage!

Edited by DCW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
10 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Thinking of doing a long weekend in Dublin. Anyone been? Is it any good and what would you recommend doing there?

I'm not from Dublin, and I'm sure the local residents on here may say different, but from my many visits there:

All the tourist stuff is good fun if you've not been before. The Guinness brewery (if you drink) is great, as is the Jameson distillery. Although for my money the best pint of Guinness is to be found in Mulligans (on Poolbeg St) which is also quite a sight in itself as one of Dublin's older pubs, so it's a bit like being transported back in time. Temple Bar is good fun, but a bit pricey as they go big on the tourist thing, but as long as you go into that knowing that's what you're getting it's very enjoyable.

There's plenty of historical stuff to see too, with the bullet holes still in the wall of the GPO from the Easter Rising in 1916 among plenty of other monuments to see. Kilmainham gaol certainly used to do tours and that's really interesting if that's your sort of thing.  The zoo is pretty decent, as are the various museums. 

There's tonnes of other stuff, it's a really fun vibrant city to do tourist stuff in. Between buses and the Luas (a tram essentially) its pretty easy to get around although the city centre is small enough you can basically walk most of it.

Again, just my experience and others may disagree but I think there's plenty to do in Dublin and its a cracking city to spend a few days in.