The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm quietly, bottom lip biting, eyes clenched giddy over the rumours of the wonderful Anthony Barry and/or Steve Holland coming into the fold too. 

Probably wind up with Jody Morris though. And, I feel sorry for Dunc in all this. I don't know what he has to do to be given a crack at the job - even for a few months - to see how much he's learned as a number 2 over the last few years. 

I tell yiz this, Everton have played some mad David Blaine gik on the fans.
Initially, a few were like 'Ah...Frank Lampard, now, like? Seriously?? “ then they started leaking that Martinez was coming back, then Cannavaro, and then Pereira and then the fans were protesting, and chanting "Lampard In" and spray painting it on the walls of Goodison Park.
Genius move by the board to drop those other names in the mix, so when they do actually appoint Lampard, the same fans who bemoaned him when he first linked, will laud it as a progressive, daring masterstroke. 

Everton, that. 

It’s mad how happy yous are with Lampard following back to back European Cup and La Liga winning managers. He’s looked decidedly average at Derby and Chelsea and the only reason I can think that he’d appeal to the average Evertonian is that weird plastic rivalry he never really had with Gerrard and the time he shouted at Klopp. Is it just a case of expectations being driven in to the ground?

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s mad how happy yous are with Lampard following back to back European Cup and La Liga winning managers. He’s looked decidedly average at Derby and Chelsea and the only reason I can think that he’d appeal to the average Evertonian is that weird plastic rivalry he never really had with Gerrard and the time he shouted at Klopp. Is it just a case of expectations being driven in to the ground?

Literally tapped out when Rafa was appointed, Kneivel. There's nothing to be excited about at that club. It's a circus and a poxy sham since pretty much Bertie's 2nd season onwards. Expect the worst, hope for even a wee biscuit. What's that in Latin? Hold up... 

Exspecta pessimum. Spes buccellatum parvum.

As I said, I'm way more excited about the potential Anthony Barry appointment based on the absolutely glowing chat I've heard over the past year from a few mates who are involved in the Irish setup. (One of my mates' nephew in particular is a now regular for the national team, and he - and apparently the whole team and staff - speak the absolute world of him.)

But, anyone who knows me, knows that I'll never, ever speak with confidence about Everton. I'm not the entitled sort, and don't expect to be qualifying for Europe or challenging for honours. All I want is maybe a semi final at Wembley, a bit of bollocks shown by the players...and a biscuit. 

• Paid Members

Steve Holland would be a decent coup, but would be leave this current England set-up right now, especially with the World Cup coming up? I suppose he could do both, many England assistant managers in the past have held a club job too.

I think Lampard did a very good job in his first season at Chelsea. They'd sold their best player, signed nobody due to their transfer ban and he blooded in quite a few youngsters- two in particular are now key players for club and country. His limitations and/or lack of experience showed in his second season though. And yes, average at Derby as well. 

• Paid Members

Lampard did a really good job at Derby. They'd lost their top goalscorer from the year below, slashed their wage bill and he got them playing much better football and within a game from being promoted. There's no shame in them losing to a very well backed Villa who've went on to do okay in the top-flight. Nor is there any shame in not being quite up to the Chelsea job (in difficult times) two or three years into his managerial career.

I view him as a promising young coach, and that's about it, Everton seems a decent fit.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Steve Holland would be a decent coup, but would be leave this current England set-up right now, especially with the World Cup coming up? I suppose he could do both, many England assistant managers in the past have held a club job too.

I think Lampard did a very good job in his first season at Chelsea. They'd sold their best player, signed nobody due to their transfer ban and he blooded in quite a few youngsters- two in particular are now key players for club and country. His limitations and/or lack of experience showed in his second season though. And yes, average at Derby as well. 

Chelsea had 90m worth of new talent join in the transfer ban season. Kovacic joined permanently (and was player of the year) and Christian Pulisic turned up following being loaned back to Dortmund. Not achieving top 4 with that outlay would have been really poor.

The job definitely came too soon for him, and I think Everton has too, but for different reasons

10 hours ago, Rossman said:

If we get Lampard. Unless he turns up with his shopping list. There's going to be no reinforcements in this window. And with some of shithouses we have, it's going to be a dog-arse 2nd half of the season. 

We've brought 3 players in this window, Patterson, Mykolenko and El Ghazi. We're looking at hijacking Palace's deal for Van De Beek from United with Dele Ali and Ruben Loftus Cheek as alternatives, maybe even a surprise name or two out the blue as Monday goes on

• Paid Members

^^^^ Bracing myself for the t-shirt orders.

“Billy Sharp became the Championship's all-time leading scorer (snip)

122nd in the second tier, the most for any player since the First Division rebranded in August 2004.“

Who gives a fuck? It’s a pretend record. Are we going to pretend Man City have won the league cup more times than Liverpool by specifying “Man City have won the EFL Cup more times than anyone” because it was “rebranded” in 2016-2017 season?

I’m fed up of these fake records. Football started in 1992, we all know that.

(Joking aside, I did appreciate the irony of Sharp equalling David Nugents 121 mark at Deepdale, where Nugent scored a big chunk of them.)

Edited by air_raid

5 hours ago, air_raid said:

^^^^ Bracing myself for the t-shirt orders.

“Billy Sharp became the Championship's all-time leading scorer (snip)

122nd in the second tier, the most for any player since the First Division rebranded in August 2004.“

Who gives a fuck? It’s a pretend record. Are we going to pretend Man City have won the league cup more times than Liverpool by specifying “Man City have won the EFL Cup more times than anyone” because it was “rebranded” in 2016-2017 season?

I’m fed up of these fake records. Football started in 1992, we all know that.

(Joking aside, I did appreciate the irony of Sharp equalling David Nugents 121 mark at Deepdale, where Nugent scored a big chunk of them.)

It's a bit if a nothing record really isn't it anyway? I mean a) Jordan Rhodes, Chris Martin and Ross McCormack have all scored over 100 so if you play 10 plus seasons in that league anybody can do it. B) top flight sides didn't think you were very good or you failed in the top flight. 

If he had done it for one club, I'd strangely think it was fantastic like Steve Bull playing in all 4 tiers with 1 club. I'm just a miserable bastard and I'm sure he is quite happy with the record. 

Edited by westlondonmist