Nothing at the time but would be a big deal now

Project Nim

What’s the match you were in attendance for that at the time meant very little yet if it happened today it would be a big deal?

I was at the Manchester Raw in 2008 with the main event of Michaels v Jericho and earlier in the evening there was a nothing squash match between Batista and Cody Rhodes which would be rather more newsworthy today.

Any others you’ve been there for?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Project Nim said:

What’s the match you were in attendance for that at the time meant very little yet if it happened today it would be a big deal?

Hulk Hogan’s last match.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Hulk Hogan’s last match.

That was the one I thought when I saw this. It wasn't even played like it would be his last match. He just wrestled and it hasn't happened again. 

Insurrexion 2002 (?). Undertaker/Triple H. 

Although both clearly felt like main eventers then, it was a bit of a throwaway match, that meant nothing, and was treated as such by the crowd. 

If held today, even as a throwaway match, would be huge 

• Awards Moderator

The first house show I went to in 2004 had John Cena vs Bradshaw for the US Title, and a year later they’d face each other at WrestleMania for the WWE Title. Both matches were in roughly the same place on the card but it was definitely a bigger deal at Mania!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Matthew said:

Insurrexion 2002 (?). Undertaker/Triple H. 

Although both clearly felt like main eventers then, it was a bit of a throwaway match, that meant nothing, and was treated as such by the crowd. 

If held today, even as a throwaway match, would be huge 

Only because one of them’s retired. Otherwise it’s been done to death before this match and since, they’ve had their “epics” since going part time 10 years ago and had a crap revisit as recently as 2018. Pass.

It used to be WrestleMania XX for me. Lesnar's last match. Goldberg's last match. Rock's last match. And then they all got sucked back in.

Failing those three individuals, all I have left to cling to from that event now is the last tag match of the Rock & Sock Connection. Doesn't quite have the gravitas of those three individuals though.

Am I remembering rightly, Jeff Jarrett vs Triple H at Capital Carnage? Five years later, that particular match would have the internet in quite a meltdown.

A house show (Winter Rampage tour) in Feb '93 I also attended with a title match of Bret v Flair. Yes they had a PPV match almost 5 years later. But today, that'd be pretty significant too.

• Paid Members

NOAH Navigation Tour 2011 in Wolverhampton, Zack Sabre Jr Vs KENTA. At the time it felt a bit like this was just a match to showcase Zack as Britain's best young prospect against one of NOAHs biggest names who was just starting his heel run. It was very much giving KENTA someone who he could work with who could get the fans against him. There wasn't an importance to it, it wasn't what would sell the tickets, it was just a kinda "here's one of the UK guys Vs a NOAH star".

Fast forward 10 years and that calibre of match could headline a New Japan show these days. Both moved on from NOAH to much bigger things and you could hazard a guess that ZSJ is probably the third biggest import in New Japan right now (second with Will out). 

Edited by Shy Dad

I attended a 2008 ROH Show in New York which was headlined by the Artists Currently Known As Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins and Cesaro (and... Nigel McGuinness) in a fatal 4-way.

I believe it was also the show which Nicholas Cage attended incognito as research for The Wrestler, and was so repelled by what he saw that he ultimately passed on the role. It did give us this surreal photo of him with Marufuji, though:

Allan on Twitter: "Nicolas Cage & Naomichi Marufuji at an ROH show.… "

2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

NOAH Navigation Tour 2011 in Wolverhampton, Zack Sabre Jr Vs KENTA. At the time it felt a bit like this was just a match to showcase Zack as Britain's best young prospect against one of NOAHs biggest names who was just starting his heel run. It was very much giving KENTA someone who he could work with who could get the fans against him. There wasn't an importance to it, it wasn't what would sell the tickets, it was just a kinda "here's one of the UK guys Vs a NOAH star".

Fast forward 10 years and that calibre of match could headline a New Japan show these days. Both moved on from NOAH to much bigger things and you could hazard a guess that ZSJ is probably the third biggest import in New Japan right now (second with Will out). 

On a similar note I saw ZSJ Vs Bryan Danielson in an Irish pub, Zack would have been even younger then and less of a name so imagine those two now headlining a NJPW show.

RPW Uprising 2015, The main event was Styles vs Ospreay vs Scurll. Styles obviously was massive at the time, he was recently the IWGP champ and also well known for Impact/TNA, The other two, while quite well known were nowhere near the level they became, Ospreay the most recent IWGP champion and Scurll was at one point quite popular in RoH. The following night had Okada vs Ospreay but I didn't go to that. 

• Paid Members

I was at the Smackdown taping which was main evented by Daniel Bryan and John Cena vs Cesaro and Tyson Kidd which ended up being Bryan’s last ever match before his comeback. It was a good match obviously with the talent involved, but not last match ever, emotional to watch worthy. But always found it weird throughout the next 3 years that that was Bryan’s retirement match and that’s all it was. A tag team match on Smackdown when you know he’d want to do some retirement tour if he was going out on his own terms. 

Tyson Kidd suffered his career ending injury less than two months later as well. 

Edited by TheBurningRed