Nothing at the time but would be a big deal now

Project Nim

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

Hulk Hogan’s last match.

+1 on that one. Was a cracking show all round to be fair.

I always think its mad how it was that I and a lot of others spent the mid noughties moaning that wrestling wasn't what it was, yet star power was still a damned sight better than is nowadays.

Look at the state of this Raw main event from Manchester in 2004 (my first WWF show as it happens)

Chris Benoit, Edge & Shawn Michaels defeat Evolution (Batista, Ric Flair & Triple H) (15:30)

Bit gutted that I almost got to see Roddy Piper wrestle in Manchester in 2006 but they pulled a quick angle after his cancer diagnosis, and then he was meant to show up at one Jeff Jarrett's GFW Vegas tapings and he pegged it just before.

Starting to think my presence at both was a bit of a jinx.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Now that I think about it, “Indy”/import stuff I saw from 2005-2010 would get shitloads of eyes on it today. Joe vs Punk from International Showdown for instance, which was one of their final matches before each went to TNA/WWE and never wrestled each other again. Probably an example so good I can’t be bothered listing others. Drag Punk out of retirement for that and everyone would froth.

This was the first card that came to mind:

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/pwg/european-vacation---england-9300.html

My shitty local sports hall playing host to some of these guys:

Six Man Tag Team Match:
Aviv Maayan, Spud & Top Gun Talwar vs. Disco Machine, Excalibur & Ronin

Singles Match:
Martin Stone vs. Ricky Reyes

Friendly Exhibition Match:
Quicksilver vs. Scorpio Sky

Singles Match:
Andy Simmonz vs. Frankie Kazarian

PWG World Championship Match:
Joey Ryan vs. Jonny Storm

Singles Match:
El Generico vs. Kevin Steen

Singles Match:
AJ Styles vs. Jody Fleisch

PWG World Tag Team Championship Match:
Davey Richards & Super Dragon (c) vs. Arrogance (Chris Bosh & Scott Lost)

A good amount of the guys having lengthy and very successful careers worldwide.

• Paid Members

On one of my early shows as an MC we had both Pete Dunne and Will Ospreay very early in their careers. But the oddest was a memorial show which was headlined by ZSJ vs Prince Devitt. Never seen them before and had an incredible match in front of a couple of hundred people in a Kent leisure centre.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

On one of my early shows as an MC we had both Pete Dunne and Will Ospreay very early in their careers. But the oddest was a memorial show which was headlined by ZSJ vs Prince Devitt. Never seen them before and had an incredible match in front of a couple of hundred people in a Kent leisure centre.

Not fitting for this thread but memories of Liger, Devitt and Kojima slumming it in a Gloucester leisure centre. Kojima wrestling Rampage, no less.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

This was the first card that came to mind:

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/pwg/european-vacation---england-9300.html

My shitty local sports hall playing host to some of these guys:

A good amount of the guys having lengthy and very successful careers worldwide.

This was the first card that came to mind specifically for the Generic/ Steen match considering it was essentially featured on a stadium wrestlemania card 15 years later.

I went to the Raw taping at the O2 on April 13th 2015, the show was pretty boring but the dark match was a 6 man with Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper, Sheamus and The Big Show. We had no idea at the time, but Daniel Bryan was pulled from TV and house shows pretty shortly after that match, Wikipedia says he was pulled after the Smackdown taping on April 16th 2015, and then retired in 2016.

So we saw one of the last matches Daniel Bryan had until his return in 2018 when he tagged with famed hard man Shane McMahon. 

12 minutes ago, sukhy said:

I went to the Raw taping at the O2 on April 13th 2015, the show was pretty boring but the dark match was a 6 man with Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper, Sheamus and The Big Show. We had no idea at the time, but Daniel Bryan was pulled from TV and house shows pretty shortly after that match, Wikipedia says he was pulled after the Smackdown taping on April 16th 2015, and then retired in 2016.

So we saw one of the last matches Daniel Bryan had until his return in 2018 when he tagged with famed hard man Shane McMahon. 

AKA "The one I went to with my ex who wanted to leave directly after the taping so I missed my favourite wrestler of all time wrestle live and I bring it up at least monthly"

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

AKA "The one I went to with my ex who wanted to leave directly after the taping so I missed my favourite wrestler of all time wrestle live and I bring it up at least monthly"

Actually one of the reasons I stopped going with my wife. She just didn't understand.

Although all credit to her, she did sit through a TNA taping in Orlando with me so I won't get too mad at her.

7 hours ago, JNLister said:

Big deal now would be a comparative term, but Zack Sabre has only wrestled Kenny Omega twice in singles matches. Once was in the G-1 Climax. The other was for 4FW in Chipping Sodbury Town Hall.

Would be interested in seeing footage of the Chipping Sodbury match, if anyone has it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@air_raidwhat about when we saw ZSJ beat Okada clean at that RevPro/New Japan show? 

That was a pretty big deal at the time, to be fair. Wish we’d have been able to go to Milton Keynes the night before for MiSu/Zack vs Okada/Ishii. Suzuki-gun had a hell of a weekend.

Steve Austin vs Macho Man on WCW Saturday Night. Could have sold out Mania together a few years later.

Steiner Brothers. Vs Owen Hart/ Bret Hart in WWF. Hidden gem. Moneymaker tag match on any show now.

CM Punk vs Romain Reigns in a random RAW 7 years back. Very intriguing now with Heyman in the picture.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

That was a pretty big deal at the time, to be fair. Wish we’d have been able to go to Milton Keynes the night before for MiSu/Zack vs Okada/Ishii. Suzuki-gun had a hell of a weekend.

That MiSu Ishii match was pretty good. We never got MiSu Vs WALTER though, did we? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LWOLeN said:

Steve Austin vs Macho Man on WCW Saturday Night. Could have sold out Mania together a few years later.

Steiner Brothers. Vs Owen Hart/ Bret Hart in WWF. Hidden gem. Moneymaker tag match on any show now.

CM Punk vs Romain Reigns in a random RAW 7 years back. Very intriguing now with Heyman in the picture.

You got to see all of these live……?