What wrestling puts the UKFF to sleep?

rollthedice

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The ‘Kurt Angle’, I call it. It’s hard to remember whether he started it, but he became the gold standard for that style. I think mainly because he worked in only one place and they developed it together.

His matches could be more tolerable than Triple H’s because of the fluidity of his movement and natural athleticism, but I’ll die on the hill that says ‘Kurt Angle was a glorified spot monkey during his WWE main event run.’

Definitely. Although I would say that Kurt has a natural charisma that Triple H just doesn't have which made his forced epics more enjoyable. A lot of Triple Hs career has this grim, dull cloud floating around it. While even if the matches were spot fests Kurt was usually great in the promos and build up to them, can't say the same about HHH.

25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

This 100%. I started watching wrestling in 2002, so I didn’t actually get to see Bret Hart’s work until after enduring an ungodly amount of hype about how good he actually was. Then when I finally did get to see his finest work, I just couldn’t understand where the hype had come from. His promos were often excellent, but I find most of his matches tough going.

Not being a dick when I ask this, im genuinely interested to know what promos of Brets you thought were excellent. I don't think I've ever heard anyone put Brets promos over but not his ring work. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Sure it will be an unpopular one but anything WWF pre-1998. As someone who discovered wrestling in the Spring/Summer of 2000, looking back at the cartoon era of chaps like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and The Ultimate Warrior, is just the drizzling shits for me, personally. Largely due to personal nostalgia but that Attitude era will never be topped for me and the stuff that came before just seems beyond tame and embarrassing in comparison. If there was such a thing as a bedtime wrestling show, for me, it would be anything from that era. 

It doesn't necessarily send me to sleep, but I do struggle with WWF 1985-1993. I can sit through the New Generation no problem, but the Rock N Wrestling/Golden Era in WWF just bores the shit out of me. It's quite specific to WWF too, I've got no problems sitting through WCW or various territory stuff.

Most of Bret’s promo work from when he came back for the Austin feud in 1996 is on point, namely because he got to be himself and have a whinge and a moan.

He had a noticeably increased intensity in 1997, I mean who doesn’t love the “frustrated isn’t a goddam word for it...” promo, but even before that he’d get in just little things that elevated them. Take his pre-match promos for Survivor Series 96 where he gets his return match over as being a big thing by it being in MSG - “it’s not a Church, but it is holy ground”. They could’ve done that match anywhere, but Bret made it mean more by putting over “the world’s most famous arena”.

Other the one between he and Piper at WM8, I couldn’t name you a single memorable Bret Hart promo from before 1996. I’m sure if I did a deep dive there would be some decent ones, but not many that stick in your head.

1 hour ago, rollthedice said:

Not being a dick when I ask this, im genuinely interested to know what promos of Brets you thought were excellent. I don't think I've ever heard anyone put Brets promos over but not his ring work. 

His Canadian hero heel run, as others have pointed out. He played the character well, probably (judging by his book) partly because he was able to actually say the things he thought about his own ability out loud. 

• Paid Members

Bret Hart's never been a good talker, scripted or otherwise. He always sounds awkward and nervous. But that Hart Foundation run was the only time when he was convincing, possibly because he probably hates America, and who can blame him.

He is the Dire Straits of wrestling. Sure they are technically proficient and excellent musicians but boring as fuck. Plus Hart didn’t ever produce a Sultans Of Swing. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
Check out Guitar George

As a kid as much as I loved the British Bulldog and Bret Hart I always found their SummerSlam 92 main event boring as shit. Used to just watch the pre-mach promos then fast forward to the end to see the pin and the celebrations.

It's since been widely regarded as the single greatest match in the hostory of the universe, but I've never taken the time to re-examined it.

Edited by IronSheik

• Moderators
On 2/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, Keith Houchen said:

He is the Dire Straits of wrestling. Sure they are technically proficient and excellent musicians but boring as fuck. Plus Hart didn’t ever produce a Sultans Of Swing. 

Owen cage match is his great one for me. Fucking love that even though I'm mostly indifferent to Bret matches.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Bret Hart had the ability to make wrestling look real enough that even my wrestling hating Dad had to grudgingly concede he was good.

That's good enough for me.

I daresay that if the modern working style more mirrored Bret Hart matches than 2004 Ring of Honor, its popularity would be greater than it is now.