What wrestling puts the UKFF to sleep?

rollthedice

As a kid I would put a WWF VHS on when I went to bed. More often than not I'd end up watching it all the way through and put another one on.

These days I actively put on certain shows knowing ill be asleep within minutes.

AEW Dark is like a quad shot of Night Nurse in a Horlicks for me. I barely get through Excaliburs intro and I'm done. Its not necessarily a boring show, its inoffensive but if it didn't exist I wouldn't care.

MLW Fusion also catches me with my mouth wide open and pops me right on the button. 

So, is this just me or does anyone else put wrestling on knowing it might aid a good night's sleep? 

• Paid Members

Sure it will be an unpopular one but anything WWF pre-1998. As someone who discovered wrestling in the Spring/Summer of 2000, looking back at the cartoon era of chaps like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and The Ultimate Warrior, is just the drizzling shits for me, personally. Largely due to personal nostalgia but that Attitude era will never be topped for me and the stuff that came before just seems beyond tame and embarrassing in comparison. If there was such a thing as a bedtime wrestling show, for me, it would be anything from that era. 

To be honest, recent Kazuchika Okada matches......I agree he's one of the greats, but his constant focus on locking in the Money Clip is making his matches as dull as dish water.....its like all of a sudden his matches are 50% rest hold!

• Paid Members

Most overly long matches if I'm honest.

Having grown up on squash matches, where the highlights were the entrance and finisher, there are only select few (usually iconic) long matches that I've gone back and watched.

I often wonder if I'm a 'wrestling' fan at all, as everything surrounding the business and character development has always interested me so much more than the mechanics of what goes on between the ropes.

If its two NXT types or no names I don't know/care about just having a 25 min match just for the hell of it, then I can always be counted out.

10 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Sure it will be an unpopular one but anything WWF pre-1998. As someone who discovered wrestling in the Spring/Summer of 2000, looking back at the cartoon era of chaps like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man and The Ultimate Warrior, is just the drizzling shits for me, personally. Largely due to personal nostalgia but that Attitude era will never be topped for me and the stuff that came before just seems beyond tame and embarrassing in comparison. If there was such a thing as a bedtime wrestling show, for me, it would be anything from that era. 

If there was a downvote button, I’d have broken my thumb pressing it.

The words ‘Macho Man’ and ‘drizzling shits’ being that close together just makes me terribly sad.

• Paid Members

Any kind of forced "epic" where two wrestlers with barely any character hit big moves and kick out of them non stop for half an hour.

Most Triple H matches after 2001. Especially when he's full on Ric Flair cosplay. A Triple H Wrestlemania match is usually a good cure for insomnia. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Bret Hart. 

This 100%. I started watching wrestling in 2002, so I didn’t actually get to see Bret Hart’s work until after enduring an ungodly amount of hype about how good he actually was. Then when I finally did get to see his finest work, I just couldn’t understand where the hype had come from. His promos were often excellent, but I find most of his matches tough going.

47 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Any kind of forced "epic" where two wrestlers with barely any character hit big moves and kick out of them non stop for half an hour.

Most Triple H matches after 2001. Especially when he's full on Ric Flair cosplay. A Triple H Wrestlemania match is usually a good cure for insomnia. 

The ‘Kurt Angle’, I call it. It’s hard to remember whether he started it, but he became the gold standard for that style. I think mainly because he worked in only one place and they developed it together.

His matches could be more tolerable than Triple H’s because of the fluidity of his movement and natural athleticism, but I’ll die on the hill that says ‘Kurt Angle was a glorified spot monkey during his WWE main event run.’

In retrospect, Kurt became better for moving to TNA and working with talent from outside the WWE bubble.

In terms of what puts me to sleep, it’s the new ubiquitous WWE house style where, in most matches - regardless of sodding length - you have to feign exhaustion almost immediately. When you’re 3 minutes into a 7 minute Ricochet/Otis dark match and they’re clawing their way to their feet after a hammerlock spot, I think you’re justified clawing your own eyes out.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz