Doomed to Repeat

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What stupid error do you keep making in your day-to-day life and never learn from?

My favourite is opening the oven door and getting my face too close to the blast of heat that escapes from it when I go to check on something. Amazed I haven't needed a skin graft yet.

Getting in the bath before the kids have gone to bed. Two things will happen, the little lad will come in smiling getting undressed and tell me his mum sent him in (she hasn’t) before getting in my scolding hot bath, complaining it’s too hot before he puts the cold tap on and pisses in the bath whilst not breaking eye contact with me, still smiling. The other thing that will happen is his sister will come in and do a shit on the toilet. Every time.

Doing sandwiches in the grill without putting a tray under them. My work from home lunch practically every day is a greasy tuna cheese sandwich and every few weeks we have to scrape a cheese graveyard of Pompeii proportions from the bottom of the grill because dickhead here keeps refusing to put a tray under what he's toasting. 

Aside from doing the blast of heat from the oven thing, I also have an issue with plugs. In the living room one of our sockets has two extensions plugged in. One is for my work station and the other is the router and house phone/answer machine. Guess which one I keep turning off at night by mistake?

Clue: it's the one that takes down Netflix and Xbox Live in one fell swoop.

I have a water bottle with a built in straw, the lid opens to allow you to drink from it. If you put the lid onto the bottle whilst the lid is fully shut the water floods the lid and it leaks instantly and water runs down the side of the bottle. Something to do with science and the straw being bent. 

I forget to open the lid twice a day whilst making water and I am infuriated every single time. 

Buying a coffee before getting on the bus to work, then remembering I can't take my mask off to drink it until I get off and its gone cold and manky. The habit from pre-covid times is just too strong.

Edited by DCW