Gimmicks that missed out/were ahead of their time

Carbomb

57 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

Bourne again, Doink in ECW

He played a gimmick that more or less he was driven mad by having to play doink 

https://ringthedamnbell.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/great-ideas-that-didnt-last-borne-again/

I remember seeing this in like PWI and Inside Wrestling magazine but I never knew what it was about.

Pretty unique if they had stayed with it....or if Bourne hadn't fucked up again.

• Paid Members

The weirdest thing about the Shamrock and Tyson missed opportunity that @BomberPat was talking about is that they did tease it. Shamrock called him out on Raw while on commentary, and they made a thing of it. But they did it before Tyson was involved - when he actually got involved, they never referred to it, and never revisited it. While they had a good reason (it would have detracted from Austin, who was more important), it's a shame they never tried later.

With regards to cinematic matches, arguably the Goldust/Piper one was - they did it in sections, in advance, with cuts and even cutaways. Same with the second Boiler Room brawl, which was pretaped and avoiding any real damage.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Shamrock just seemed to be every kid's favourite, and no one could understand why he had just disappeared. All those rumours went into overtime when Angle started doing the Anklelock.

I still see echoes of it sometimes - a wrestler starts doing someone else's finish, and people start predicting that it's going to lead to that person debuting/coming back for a feud over it. For something that's been speculated about so many times, the closest I can think to it ever actually having happened is that Eddie Guerrero feuded with RVD when he came back to the WWF. Usually, someone else starting to use your finish is a sure sign that you're persona non grata, not that you're being brought back.

Genuinely had no idea Kurt/Shamrock was a popular playground rumour and thought it was just something that popped in my head one day as being a neat prospect. But similarly, the Eddie/RVD feud you mention - i convinced myself D'Lo would be returning and getting involved there at some point for a 3-way Frog-splash feud. Just complete wishful thinking with D'Lo being one of my top boys.

Wrestling fans will jump all over all sorts, thinking it's a nod, hint or foreshadowing of something. We love that shit. I also recall seeing Hurricane suddenly having a mask he'd put on young fans in the front row being a definite acknowledgement that Bret Hart was coming back.

• Paid Members

Just on the topic of Ken Shamrock being every kids favourite - I vividly remember coming into school the day after King of the Ring 1998. One kid ran in going, “did you see what Mankind did?” and another kid replied, “yeah, but did you see what Ken Shamrock did? He won the King of the Ring!” I’ve always thought there was a beautiful innocence in that. I hope there are still kids out there who aren’t looking for the craziest bumps of the best workrate, they just want their favourites to win the big matches.

• Paid Members

Remember when Derrick Bateman (EC3) wanted to do 'The USA Guy' gimmick, shortly before he would be released from WWE the first time round?

This gimmick would have been so much fun, but it was so far ahead of it's time for WWE that it never stood a chance of getting past Vince, not in his lifetime.

Check out these DIY promos...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ffdmp7hqEdHW1EjXg3q3A

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

A few wrestling types - like "Angry Wrestling Vet" on Facebook - were raving after last year's Wrestlemania that cinematic matches could be the future of the business, and how something like the Graveyard Match would be a great hook for casual fans. Two people I know who don't really watch wrestling, but will check out bits of Wrestlemania, both told me they didn't see the point of the Graveyard Match because it just felt like watching a bad action movie fight sequence - and there's plenty of bad action movies they could watch if that's what they wanted.

I think hindsight will treat the Boneyard Match, and its ilk, very differently to the immediate reaction afterward. In context, it came across really well: Undertaker's last few matches had ranged from 'better than I feared' to 'utter Saudi stinker where both men could've died'; every other match that night took place in a vacuous, joyless void; and 'Taker has a propensity for the theatrical anyway. Coupled with some hammy visuals from AJ, it did well because it was at least something different in an otherwise vapid three hours of content.

As mentioned at the time, though, wrestling does what it usually does and took the wrong message. Instead of looking at it as lightning in a bottle, perfect for its time and date but not much more, WWE (and a lot of fans, to be fair) naturally leaned into it, assuming it would just work if you threw it into any circumstances. Naturally, it didn't and wouldn't.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I've often been curious to see how Right To Censor would have gone down in the present day. They would be probably be enormous babyfaces in certain Twitter circles!

I’m sort of surprised they haven’t done a modern version of ‘snowflakes’ and called them Right To Cancel or something.

It’d be terrible but if they brought Steven Richards back to lead them I’m 100% for it.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’m sort of surprised they haven’t done a modern version of ‘snowflakes’ and called them Right To Cancel or something.

It’d be terrible but if they brought Steven Richards back to lead them I’m 100% for it.

I was coming in to say a modern slant on The Truth Commission would have been interesting, with them attempting to stand up for whatever bullshit or conspiracy that intelligent people decry - anti-vax, climate change denial, Covid-19 conspiracy theories etc. Maybe even flat Earth if it’s not too out there.

Except Vince would probably have them also be Trump apologists and insist they be booked as babyfaces.

14 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I've often been curious to see how Right To Censor would have gone down in the present day. They would probably be enormous babyfaces in certain Twitter circles!

Honestly, when you read certain people's tweet and then watch their promos there really isn't much difference.

Ivory in particular would be a massive online babyface today.

Genuinely surprised they haven't bought it back just to annoy the internet smarks, they could be heels on raw/smackdown and then faces on nxt (Bit like Hart Foundation were faces in Canada and UK).

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Bourne again, Doink in ECW

He played a gimmick that more or less he was driven mad by having to play doink 

https://ringthedamnbell.wordpress.com/2015/04/30/great-ideas-that-didnt-last-borne-again/

(Pilled-up slur) But why did they make you Doink? Ah man, I still don’t understand why you have to be Doink.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Supremo said:

I hope there are still kids out there who aren’t looking for the craziest bumps of the best workrate, they just want their favourites to win the big matches.

There are absolutely are. Most shows CIWW have run have been to predominantly kids/family audiences, so you do get a real sense of what wrestlers kids are into - both on our show, and from the conversations they have with you at merch tables and so on. Almost universally, kids' favourite wrestlers are the ones who win the most often - because they're obviously the best.