What wrestlers are cool?

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Watching the Royal Rumble the other day, it struck me that pretty much no one in todays WWE is cool. Most the roster came across as complete dorks or idiots.  

For me, in WWE you've just got Roman Reigns, as a heel mind, and Big E.

In AEW I'd say you've got a few more. Lucha Bros, Santana & Ortiz, Wardlow, Adam Page, Moxley, Darby Allin is definitely cool if you're 14 or under. Orange Cassidy's character is a parody of a cool guy but it also works because he manages to be genuinely cool while parodying it.

Wrestlers don't have to be cool to be successful. John Cena has never been cool. But it definitely helps.

So I ask, who in wrestling - past or present - is genuinely cool?

AEW definitely has the lion's share of cool stars. WWE has plenty, but the problem is they'll produce it out of you on TV. 

D'Lo Brown's the one that stands out for me, back in the day. You can't pick big, obvious guys that are just brilliant. Being 'cool' in wrestling's a bit more niche than that. But D'Lo had it. Everyone thought he was just class. 

• Paid Members

Absolutely Kevin Nash, but also Scott Hall. If Hogan had tried to turn into Hollywood Hogan by himself, he'd have been written off as a midlife crisis gimmick. He needed those two to make him seem at least somewhat legit.

EDIT: Also, Sid. Gave fist bumps instead of hand slaps as a face.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

The correct answer is Kevin Nash.

I feel like Kevin Nash is a cool dude outside the ring but as a wrestler he's not particularly cool. Or at least he never was able to sustain being cool for long periods of time though that's probably what shitty booking will do to you.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

From today's rosters I'd say you've got Roman Reigns and Randy Orton in WWE and Pentagon and the Proud & Powerful lads in AEW. That's about it.

A lot of the boys are probably pretty cool in real life, but both major companies have a real hard time getting those personalities to translate to TV. Gallows and Anderson prime example.