RedRooster

So today I stumbled upon a PWTorch news update from 2006 in which Wade Keller claimed that Hulk Hogan had been offered (and turned down) a so-called ‘legends match’ at Wrestlemania 22.

That alleged match? Hulk Hogan vs Greg Valentine. 

Even if I’d heard that at the time I’d have raised an eyebrow. But now? To be as kind as I can be about it, it seems...unlikely.

What’re the least believable/strangest bits of ‘wrestling news’ you’ve seen over the years? Nothing that transpired to be true, please! 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I remember it being reported that New Jack was being signed to WWE to feud with John Cena back in 2004

It was even rumoured he was going to get the "stabbed John Cena in a nightclub" feud.

11 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Kalisto getting called up to the main roster and being given a gay hairdresser gimmick.

This was a daft one, based on a complete misunderstanding of how promo class worked. Kalisto had been doing promos in that gimmick down in NXT, or FCW, whichever it was at the time, as a character exercise. Someone saw them and assumed it was an actual character he'd be playing.

• Paid Members

Mabel was supposed to be the Third Man in the NWO.

The original pay off for Hogan's "Ultimate Surprise" teases in 1994, where he kept saying "Ultimate" a lot and brought out the Renegade, was actually meant to be the Road Warriors.

Neville was going to be a character inspired by Mighty Mouse.

29 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Quite crazy to think we have the bastard now. Who would've thought it.

I love 'what could've been' stuff like this. They showed original concept of Kane on a recent Network show with a red cape.

I'm sure Godfather mentioned once there was stuff made up for a return of Papa Shango once too.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Winston said:

I'm sure Godfather mentioned once there was stuff made up for a return of Papa Shango once too.

Papa Shango was supposed to come back in 1997. They changed their mind and he became Kama Mustafa instead. He got a win over Taker in a tag match on Raw as a make good. 

If Shango had come back, there'd probably never have been a Kane.

18 minutes ago, Winston said:

I love 'what could've been' stuff like this. They showed original concept of Kane on a recent Network show with a red cape.

Love that stuff too. Kane did rock the red cape at some point though, there's a photo or two and vid knocking about of it.

The best one of these has to be the Christian Blue Dot face story. Although Chilly McFreeze, etc is up there too.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Papa Shango was supposed to come back in 1997. They changed their mind and he became Kama Mustafa instead. He got a win over Taker in a tag match on Raw as a make good. 

If Shango had come back, there'd probably never have been a Kane.

He said on a shoot that it had been pitched to him that he was going to return as Shango and as Undertakers 1/2 brother. So yeah, wouldn’t be any need for Kane at all in that scenario.

• Paid Members

Who was it who said there was talk of Undertaker and IRS teaming up as ‘Death & Taxes’, did that come from an interview or was it someone on here arsing about?

One I definitely heard on a podcast was Bruce Prichard saying there was consideration at one point of WWF bringing in Dustin Rhodes to face Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 9. I love Dustin but that sounds so utterly bizarre and random. This obviously predates the Goldust gimmick as well, think Bruce said their idea was he’d be coming in as a evil heel called The Sandman. Can’t even imagine it. Between that and the Hogan vs Doink thing above, I wonder who else was supposedly in the running to face Hulk at that Mania. Here’s Bruce talking about it on the podcast;