6 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Really should have changed his home town from Blackpool, but way better than any of his WWF themes.

100 % agreed. 

Vamp had two decent themes……kind of.

Great song ^ , maybe a bit lively for his gimmick though.

Love this one. No doubt it’s a complete rip off of some other song but i love it. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Chili said:

I can't remember where I read this frustratingly, but heard his late 99 absence was apparently some sort of protest that no one is fully aware of. That and possibly making cinematic classic 'Shutterspeed' 

Storyline, wasn’t it? Injured by Luger? Got his revenge in short order when he came back, tagging with Hogan. Who he was really chummy with before he was written out. Oh wait, they were feuding before Hogan disappeared. WCWLOL.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

March 29, 1999 in Toronto. Also saw Sting return after his 5-month holiday… by standing in the rafters for 30 seconds.

If only there had been another main event guy without a program he could have done something with.

23 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Love this one. No doubt it’s a complete rip off of some other song but i love it. 

This theme was from when Vampiro was being pushed as a face in late ‘99 to early 2000 when Kevin Sullivan was Head Booker. Probably about the only time I recall Vampiro being over and used properly in the United States.

Agree with that. I don't think much of Vampiro, and it's probably the quality of early WCW 2000 but Vampiro really does seem to get more over in that period even if not the wins. The WCW April reboot turned him heel, which didn't work because weirdly fans had got invested in him, and turned him on Sting. Fucked. 

Yep. WCW actually had someone who the fans were invested in and could’ve been somewhat of a star (maybe not main event level but possibly upper mid card). That April 2000 reboot Nitro had Vampiro going to the ring at the start of the show and the crowd cheered loudly when he showed up. Turning Vampiro heel and forming a stable with the Insane Clown Posse pretty much killed his career in the States. Probably Russo’s idea.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Really should have changed his home town from Blackpool, but way better than any of his WWF themes.

This is my first memory or Regal in WCW. https://youtu.be/CGjgBgYu4NM

1 hour ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I have been watching WCW on the Network, just into early 1993. For someone who has had a pretty decent acting career (up to that point at least), Jesse Vetura mouthing what his co commentator, usually Jim Ross or the wrestlers who he is interviewing are saying when on screen is really noticeable and annoying.

Oohhhhhh he did this in WWF loads. Bobby Heenan is an even bigger victim of it. He can't help himself. 

13 hours ago, Merzbow said:

What was Eric's take on Vamp? I know he fucking hated Raven's grunge gimmick, or so he says now.

Vamp was signed when Bischoff was in charge but he went away for a good few months after his debut in ‘98 (maybe he went back to Mexico?) and came back around March ‘99 when WCW was starting to go into free fall. Haven’t heard or read any comments that Bischoff has made regarding Vampiro but can only guess that Bischoff saw him as a midcarder.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, LCJ said:

Vamp was signed when Bischoff was in charge but he went away for a good few months after his debut in ‘98 (maybe he went back to Mexico?).

yeah, he spent 1998 back in Mexico. 

Bischoff slagged off Vampiro around the time he was in charge of TNA, and asked about bringing him in, but that was likely based on experiences of working with him in WCW, rather than any view that he would have had when bringing him in first time around. 

They're both arch bullshit artists, so if either one of them told me how Vamp was meant to be booked in WCW, I wouldn't believe a word of it. Though Vampiro has said in the past that when he was first there, people in the locker room were being racist about the Mexican talent while he was in the room, and had apparently just assumed that he was another Mexican and didn't speak English. So it's probably that he was just brought in to pad out that side of the midcard. 

So, I've found the great unloved WCW PPV of yesteryear.... Bash at the Beach 1997!

Watched it on a whim on the Network the other night for the first time and absolutely loved it!

The opener is Wrath and Mortis vs Glacier and the Cat and it's much fun, the crowd are into it too!

Second, Chris Jericho vs Ultimo Dragon in a match you could put on anyone's TV or PPV in 2022!

A cutting-edge battle! One of the best Jericho matches I've seen, to be honest. Terrific spots!

Third match... Steiners vs Chono and Muta, proper stiff, clubbing battle with a bonkers finish!

Fourth, a luchador six-man tag, with action aplenty! With Hector Garza! Yes, he does it! Ace!

Fifth... a wildly entertaining arena brawl between Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan!

And Jimmy Hart takes a wacky, possibly unplanned bump that you need to see!

A few angle-based matches with Jarrett vs Mongo and DDP/Hennig vs nWo.

THEN... 43-year old Rowdy Roddy Piper vs 48-year old Ric Flair!

AND IT'S BRILLIANT!!!

Piper hardly does any moves and hardly takes any bumps!

But the intangibles, oh the intangibles, are unreal!!!

Great match! One of the best Piper matches!

Finally, Hogan & Rodman vs Luger & Giant!

It's AT LEAST ten times better than you imagine!

Rodman... well, he's so good for a first-timer!

And Luger?! He'd be the top guy now!

Watch it. Love it!

Waiting for Lister to come in and say he was there and it wasn't that good, hahaha!