• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

My favourite WCW is being booked bad period is the slightly forgotten May-June 1999 which has some of the weirdest, shittest, half baked weird nonsense. Like the Flair goes to an asylum. That's just the tip. That era os amazing. Bischoff is absolutely fucked, Savage is having a crisis on national tv and nobody has a single solitary clue where the booking is. 

The amazing thing about the whole April-August is how often people turn so there’s no consistency, crowds are just listless because they can’t remember who they’re supposed to cheer for, and feuds are just forgotten so often, it’s unbelievable. Goldberg teams with Hogan even though he brought in the New Year making him look like a stalker, stealing his title shot and tasering him. Nash teams with Sid to fight Hogan one month removed from Sid helping Savage take the title off him and then him helping Hogan win it off Savage. Sting stands around looking confused most of the time, then they turn HIM heel. Utter shambles.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

TNT started showing Nitro over here in March or April 1996.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

WCW on Nitro started with whatever Nitro has a Macho Man/Finlay match on it, think its a week after Uncensored 1996 or on some delay. 

That’s the one. Finlay in his ‘Belfast Bruiser’ days. You also had Sting and Luger against the American Males, American Males, American Males, American Males, American Males, American Males, American Males. Which stands out to me only because Luger was in his phase of teasing a heel turn and would be high fiving kids and stuff until the Stinger’s back was turned, then he’d be telling the grannies and babies to fuck off. 

The look and feel of Nitro in 1999 makes it a tough watch, along with the fact that it was still three hours for most of the year. People go on about the bird shit logo, but the entire colour of the ringside area went bird shit to go along with it. The ring, apron and crash mats are all in this awful famine grey. It actually looks pretty great in the Russo era with the HBO boxing style lighting and blue ring mats. 

It's funny that one of the prevailing WWE endorsed myths about WCW - and plenty of the guys who were in both promotions have parroted this - is that WWE was always more professionally produced. Even in the early 90s WCW's sets and sundry had far more variety and scope. The TV and way they dressed the arenas was tight and slick throughout Nitro's early years. 

Raw looked absolutely brutal until the first Raw is War. Only then it looked brutal on purpose. I don't think the actual production quality caught up with their popularity until 99/00. Dingy arenas, unlit entrance aisles, filthy fecking rings. 

43 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The look and feel of Nitro in 1999 makes it a tough watch, along with the fact that it was still three hours for most of the year. People go on about the bird shit logo, but the entire colour of the ringside area went bird shit to go along with it. The ring, apron and crash mats are all in this awful famine grey. It actually looks pretty great in the Russo era with the HBO boxing style lighting and blue ring mats. 

It's funny that one of the prevailing WWE endorsed myths about WCW - and plenty of the guys who were in both promotions have parroted this - is that WWE was always more professionally produced. Even in the early 90s WCW's sets and sundry had far more variety and scope. The TV and way they dressed the arenas was tight and slick throughout Nitro's early years. 

Raw looked absolutely brutal until the first Raw is War. Only then it looked brutal on purpose. I don't think the actual production quality caught up with their popularity until 99/00. Dingy arenas, unlit entrance aisles, filthy fecking rings. 

Ironically a lot of the actual WCW footage from the Nitro era still looks great today in terms of picture quality.

i thought i read somewhere that they filmed with high-definition cameras even though it wasn’t broadcast in HD obviously. 

I could be wrong.

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Ironically a lot of the actual WCW footage from the Nitro era still looks great today in terms of picture quality.

i thought i read somewhere that they filmed with high-definition cameras even though it wasn’t broadcast in HD obviously. 

I could be wrong.

Pretty sure I too read this in Death Of WCW among the terrifying wastes of money. Including paying guys they never brought to TV like Lanny Poffo, sending Malia Hosaka two plane tickets for the same flight, and paying Swoll $400K a year.

If you don’t remember who Swoll was or why WCW thought he was worth $400K …. you know why they went bump.

• Paid Members

Randy and Lily Savage. Bloody hell. Never knew that existed. 

Also, this is apparently the last WCW broadcast - airing the same week after the final Nitro. The music is delightfully early noughties. They kill the lights on Tenay/Hudson and they just sit there for an eternity as the credits roll, until Hudson then appears to do some kind of pumping motion. Strange. 

• Moderators

Nitpicking, but there was still WCW programming shown in the states until July or so. WCW Classics on Turner South. I imagine it was a contractual holdover, worth it for the original Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes helmed links between matches though. Probably ending about the same time as Worldwide did over here as they burned a far few episodes off at 3am until May or June. 

As regards late Worldwide there was a great segment in it's dying throes when Bobby Heenan went on a recce to the power plant 

Edited by PowerButchi

13 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

As regards late Worldwide there was a great segment in it's dying throes when Bobby Heenan went on a recce to the power plant 

Here we go. He takes Scott Hudson along and he's does a decent Monsoon straight act for Bobby too. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Here's WCW Classics. 

All that time WWE were reportedly trying to find a network that might carry new WCW programming, and they still had a timeslot all along! 

Would these links have bee recorded pre-sale? Without watching them in full, curious if Dusty/Ric made any little digs about it or whether it was all pretty straight-laced. 

• Paid Members

An hour of WCW a week just to keep it in the public consciousness could have been a goer, even if they just used it the way they used ECW towards the end/NXT with some established guys helping new develoomental talent get over/more experienced. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

An hour of WCW a week just to keep it in the public consciousness could have been a goer, even if they just used it the way they used ECW towards the end/NXT with some established guys helping new develoomental talent get over/more experienced. 

Fuck, NXT started having War Games, they should have just called it WCW. It was so different to “main” WWE, I’d have totally approved.