• Paid Members

Douglas has a shout for having one of the most low key horrifying injuries in wrestling. He broke his palate (roof of the mouth) which sounds horrible enough. He was then warned not to fly, did anyway and his sinuses exploded on the flight, with blood going everywhere according to the Observer. Presumably from his eyes?

Edited by gmoney

Douglas was a manager for a bit during his many TNA runs and wasn't particularly great, I'm pretty sure one of the first things he did was a shitty "shoot" on Vince McMahon for restarting ECW which had fuck all to do with him or The Naturals who he was managing.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I agree that he hit the ceiling his career warranted, and if anything out-performed that largely on ECW credibility and nostalgia alone. My only other thought is that, in another era, he could have transitioned into being a great full-time manager, but his twilight years coincided with WWE being the only game in town and not really being big on traditional managers. Even in the Attitude Era, if there was a spot for old-fashioned managers I think he'd have been a better fit in that role than as an active wrestler.

He was excellent as a colour commentator in 98 ecw and 99 wcw, in fact i believe he tried out for the wwf in early 95 to become the colour guy on Monday Night Raw. 

But……he burned a lot of bridges and make a lot of bad decisions himself …..

HHH’s game persona in 1999/2000 was definitely inspired by “The Franchise”.  

• Paid Members

Douglas is the archetype of the wrestler who peaked under Heyman due to a combination of having his flaws concealed (some of the time) and positives magnified, and being perceived as a star in that environment because he was pushed and presented as one. The only thing that makes him different to Taz or Raven is his ego and his mouth.

19 hours ago, air_raid said:

Douglas is the archetype of the wrestler who peaked under Heyman due to a combination of having his flaws concealed (some of the time) and positives magnified, and being perceived as a star in that environment because he was pushed and presented as one. The only thing that makes him different to Taz or Raven is his ego and his mouth.

I would rank Taz and Raven way anove him, FWIW

58 minutes ago, HeavyT said:

I would rank Taz and Raven way anove him, FWIW

Raven always seemed to me like a guy that was about to “kick on” to the next level but just never did.

For me , he peaked in ecw in 96.

I really dont get how he was considered such a creative mind when i dont really see too many examples of that…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Just finished the Nitro before the bird shit logo rebrand comes into effect.

One thing I’m noticing is just how much Schiavone and Heenan are bickering. I knew they had a dislike of each other, but it’s just uncomfortable hearing it play out in realtime. Heenan sounds like he can’t be arsed and just wants to throw out quips, and Tony regularly just scolding him like a child with, “Shut up! Just… shut up” whilst Tenay sits on the end like a younger brother not knowing what to say.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Heenan sounds like he can’t be arsed

There was no “sounds like” about it, he admitted checking out long before the end.

• Paid Members
On 7/8/2021 at 9:55 AM, mim731 said:

Been working my way through early 90s WCW PPVs, and one thing that I never noticed before is how much of an absolute banger Ron Simmons/Doom's WCW theme was. 

They had some amazing themes back in the early 90s in WCW. 

• Paid Members
Just now, jazzygeofferz said:

They had some amazing themes back in the early 90s in WCW. 

It's so true, Rude's first theme was superb. There are so many crackers from that time period, WCW really doesn't get the credit for. 

I know everyone loved A Man Called Sting (and rightly so), but I still think this was an ace theme at the time: