9 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Think Hak was wrapped around in plastic barbed wire during his first few matches, usually on Thunder.

Wow I'm definatley gonna have to look this up, how bad did it look? 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Like something a bird left on the hood of my car.

Something I've always been interested in seeing is who Bobby Heenan champions on the desk in WCW. I know Heenan is what he is in his WCW days but hearing him during a Goldberg squash is fantastic fun. It's like he wakes up and enjoys being there for a bit. 'Da Man' was one of his lines wasn't it. Only bring this up because in the early days of Nitro, The Brain makes it very obvious that of all the new talent, it's Eddie Guerrero or bust. Weird hearing him try and be his RAW announcer heel in those early '95 Nitro's, but dropping all heel schtick when bland babyface version of Eddie came out. He proper loves his work and for some reason I thought that was quite a neat thing to come across and think about. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, Ro_y Disco said:

I hear WCW's "plastic barbed wire" mentioned from time to time. Are there any notable examples of this? 

Not WCW but they clearly swapped a real barbed wire bat for a gimmick one during Triple H/Cactus Jack at the 2000 Rumble. 

The original is dropped behind something (commentators desk I think) and it's obviously a different bat later. 

• Paid Members
On 6/2/2021 at 9:01 PM, Vegeta said:

311008529_1999_WCW_Embossed_28Topps29_Hardcore_Hak_28No_5029.jpg.98dacfbfdcb8572015e8b63d63a4e216.jpg

Not sure if thats it in the picture, i assume it is. No real issuen with it though, if you wrestled with real barbed wire wrapped around you, you wouldnt be getting much done.

Sandman's run in WCW was quality though. Some of the most entertaining mainstream promotion hardcore matches ever.

7 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

311008529_1999_WCW_Embossed_28Topps29_Hardcore_Hak_28No_5029.jpg.98dacfbfdcb8572015e8b63d63a4e216.jpg

Not sure if thats it in the picture, i assume it is. No real issuen with it though, if you wrestled with real barbed wire wrapped around you, you wouldnt be getting much done.

Sandman's run in WCW was quality though. Some of the most entertaining mainstream promotion hardcore matches ever.

Fair play not as bad as I first imagined, thanks for sending the image in @Egg Shen

Fair point aswell, you wouldn't be getting much done with real barbed wire wrapped around you, feels like there's always something about WCW to find out for better or worse.

Random mid-to-late 90's WCW is one of my favourite things to stick on if I have a little time to kill and don't really know what to watch. I didn't watch it at the time so it's all pretty much new to me and it feels like a proper variety show with all the different styles on display. 

Didn't expect myself to become such a big fan of Wrath but, fucking hell, he was something wasn't he? 

Just an insane-looking human being with a cracking physique, cool gear and a deadly finisher. Wrath is a great name, too. Shame his push got bungled as he started really getting over in late 98, but at least it lead to KroniK. 

I've been watching Thunder and currently in September 1999. Aside from the over reliance of the recycled main event stars which was always WCW 's problem, it isn't too bad. Totally dropped the ball with the Revolution stable though, they could have been huge.

On a side note, how many injuries did Shane Douglas suffer in 1999?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

On a side note, how many injuries did Shane Douglas suffer in 1999?

Coming off of a pretty injury heavy 98. He was fucked by then. If you look at him in 98, he's got bags under the bags under his eyes.