Lower card pops/moments

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Reminded of this beauty from Raw in 1994.

What are your favourite bits away from the main events and big shows?

Benchmark must be that time "Cyclope" beat Jericho and then unmasked to reveal Dean Malenko.  Crowd were seriously into the vanilla midget.

Barry Horowitz actually winning a match was insane when I was a kid. I just couldn’t believe it and had a soft spot for Bazza ever since.

Barbershop window with the rockers

William Regal winning the IC title from Santino in about 10 seconds at a show I was at live was fantastic. I saw regal wrestle in Blackpool when I was about 4 so it was a cool full circle thing for me.

• Paid Members

I can't remember the exact details around the time/match but the 123 Kid scoring a count out win against Diesel (or Razor Ramon) absolutely stunned me at the time and it was the first time I thought "wow it IS possible to beat big names."

Can't remember if the pop was huge but it was a big deal for me. 

One that always stands out to me is when Curtis Axel won the Intercontinental Title in a triple threat match, possibly with The Miz in it but can’t remember the other one.

Think it was an opener to a PPV around 2013. Not sure if the date was also Mr Perfects birthday or farthers day or something like that, the pop wasn’t huge as such but the crowd was into it and when he celebrated it was quite an emotional moment in what was a pretty uneventful career for him.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I can't remember the exact details around the time/match but the 123 Kid scoring a count out win against Diesel (or Razor Ramon) absolutely stunned me at the time and it was the first time I thought "wow it IS possible to beat big names."

Can't remember if the pop was huge but it was a big deal for me. 

This is not a televised match I remember seeing. I love Kid so if anyone can verify, I’d appreciate it.

How low down the card is low enough? For me Goldberg hammering Raven for the US title and “THATS NOT LA PARKA!!” are two of my favourites.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Reminded of this beauty from Raw in 1994.

All credit to Jannetty there, coming up off his tits, hyping for the hot tag. The crowd were absolutely bang up for it. Really fun match. People love to shit on 94, but are completely unaware of gems like this. Don’t get me wrong, it has its tripe, but 93-95 gets far more ridicule than deserved.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Doog said:

One that always stands out to me is when Curtis Axel won the Intercontinental Title in a triple threat match, possibly with The Miz in it but can’t remember the other one.

Think it was an opener to a PPV around 2013. Not sure if the date was also Mr Perfects birthday or farthers day or something like that, the pop wasn’t huge as such but the crowd was into it and when he celebrated it was quite an emotional moment in what was a pretty uneventful career for him.

This is one of my favourite moments of the few bits of wrestling I've watched in the last few years. Having him win it on Father's Day was the sort of attention to detail WWE don't do nearly enough and they *should* have built something from it, especially as they briefly gave him Heyman as a mouthpiece. But no. Cracking little match as well.

It's a Philly hardcore sort of crowd for that time of WWF, but Hercules and Paul Roma being recieved the like coolest, baddest lads on the block when they completely mullered The Rockers at Summerslam '90 is great. Roma for all the shit he came out with and all the weird criticism he gets, looks like the cockiest of pricks in that match. 

Watch the crowd when they hit the Power-Plex. Lovely stuff.

Always thought Spike Dudley standing up for Molly Holly to freshly turned heel Austin in 2001 was brilliant and crowd were into it too, think Spike even got a title match out of it in the end. Way more entertaining than Austin's first heel feud with Taker/Kane.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, air_raid said:

This is not a televised match I remember seeing. I love Kid so if anyone can verify, I’d appreciate it.

How low down the card is low enough? For me Goldberg hammering Raven for the US title and “THATS NOT LA PARKA!!” are two of my favourites.

It was annoying me so I looked it up and the match wasn't televised because it didn't happen. I was remembering the Razor Ramon surprise win alongside the WWF Title match against Bret Hart. So my memory is already going in my mid 30s. Gutted. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Benchmark must be that time "Cyclope" beat Jericho and then unmasked to reveal Dean Malenko.  Crowd were seriously into the vanilla midget.

I think you can pretty much end the thread there, can't see anything that'll beat it.

I always remember a couple with Crash Holly involved in 2000. First at King of the Ring when he runs out and wins the hardcore title during the evening gown match although that might have been due to the fans being so bored it was a pleasant surprise.

Second was later that year when he won the light heavyweight title on heat from Dean Malenko. I popped for that as a young lad and I remember the audience giving it a good response too.