The Springsteen Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
On 12/14/2020 at 7:03 PM, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I would be interested to hear your choices.

Agree, it is a bit difficult to choose,  do you go with the singles or more famous tracks of more obscure cuts?

Been listening to Magic a lot again just lately, some really wonderful songs on that.

I went all around the houses but tried to give him a good mix from as many albums, with a range of upbeat, folk, ballads and operatic pieces. As soon as I sent it I thought of others I could/should have included but all-in-all, I think it covers enough to give him a taster:

Devils & Dust
The Promise (18 Tracks version)
Candy’s Room
Incident on 57th Street
Atlantic City
If I Was The Priest
Western Stars
Bobby Jean
Jungleland
Sherry Darling
For You
Better Days
Thunder Road
Brilliant Disguise
Youngstown
Adam Raised a Cain
We Take Care of Our Own
Nebraska
Lost in the Flood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I won’t clog the Song of the Day thread. I know it’s been mentioned in this thread already and I’ve had conversations about it with forum members off here, but FUCKING HELL.

Written in 1973 but produced recently, this is something that may one day enter his top ten of all time. And his top ten of all time is the stuff of legend.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I won’t clog the Song of the Day thread. I know it’s been mentioned in this thread already and I’ve had conversations about it with forum members off here, but FUCKING HELL.

Written in 1973 but produced recently, this is something that may one day enter his top ten of all time. And his top ten of all time is the stuff of legend.

This song absolutely blew me away when I heard it for the first time upon the album's release last year, but I had no idea it was written so long ago. Was it well known amongst Springsteen's fanbase or not? I just can't believe it was slept on for so long. 

4 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

This is just incredible isn't it, I only really got in Springsteen a year or so ago but christ he is just something else. He is my go to for running songs, motivation songs, feeling happy songs, feeling sad songs. 

I am still making my way through his catalogue and it is just so exciting, I appreciate I seem as giddy as a kid at christmas such is the reverence I hold him in. 

The magic of Bruce is that his songs all connect with everyone in one way or another, especially in America. Whatever your place in life, Bruce has a song that fits you. 

Hyde Park 2009 with his midafternoon appearance with Gaslight Anthem and then over 3hrs of unbelievable music is an experience I doubt I'll ever top.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
On 2/6/2021 at 6:45 PM, Arch Stanton said:

This song absolutely blew me away when I heard it for the first time upon the album's release last year, but I had no idea it was written so long ago. Was it well known amongst Springsteen's fanbase or not? I just can't believe it was slept on for so long. 

Here’s the original demo. I got it wrong by a year but apparently it was the song to make the producers sit up and take note when he was pitching the first album. Madness it didn’t make it on to Greetings...

That’s got the raw feel of Greetings... with the packed words-per-lyric, but some part of me is glad we got it recently with the grand production it needed and deserved.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Posted this in the podcast thread but it might be more appropriate here:

Anyone else listened to the new Bruce Springsteen and Barack Obama podcast on Spotify yet?

The two of them discuss race and their experiences of racism. I've really enjoyed the two episodes so far and they've really made me think. Bruce put it brilliantly during episode two (and I'm massively paraphrasing here) when he says something along the lines of "white people are never made aware of their race". It really resonated with me.