The Springsteen Thread

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

It’s something I’ve been toying with listening to, but I’m not much of an Obama (stop calling him Obama!) fan so I’ve not gone out of my way. Might give it a go because no matter who’s with him, Springsteen’s insight will no doubt be a hook.

But if you’re interested in how Springsteen has experience of race issues, I can’t recommend Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption and Rock & Roll enough for your watchlist. It heavily features his story as you’d expect, but focuses on the race issues in Freehold, Asbury Park and other places in the locality in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I won’t spoil it, but once you watch it you’ll see why Springsteen is so aware of racial discrimination from his hometown and surrounding areas.

The fact that they're good friends really helps with their comfort when discussing difficult topics. Bruce's insight and reflections are definitely the highlight for me.

Just looked at that Asbury Park documentary and it looks fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation. 

12 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

It’s something I’ve been toying with listening to, but I’m not much of an Obama (stop calling him Obama!) fan so I’ve not gone out of my way. Might give it a go because no matter who’s with him, Springsteen’s insight will no doubt be a hook.

But if you’re interested in how Springsteen has experience of race issues, I can’t recommend Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption and Rock & Roll enough for your watchlist. It heavily features his story as you’d expect, but focuses on the race issues in Freehold, Asbury Park and other places in the locality in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I won’t spoil it, but once you watch it you’ll see why Springsteen is so aware of racial discrimination from his hometown and surrounding areas.

Where did you watch that documentary? 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Panhead said:

Where did you watch that documentary? 

I managed to watch it in the picturehouse when it came out, but it’s available both legally and via nefarious means online. Definitely worth 90 mins of your time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Random Bruce live memory, but when I saw him at Hampden Park in 2013, during Darlington County he grabbed a fans phone and shouted 'SHE'S BUSY RIGHT NOW!' into it. 

The banter and interplay between The Boss and the audience/the E-Street Band is so fucking good. 

Edited by SaitoRyo

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Can't believe it's been nine years since I last saw him and the E Street. 

If it's a tour I hope he does Prague, as that'll be my closest, but I'll be tempted to fly back over to the UK if he does something in or around the North East. 

As Pete says, there can't be too many more left in The Boss and this version of the E Street. 

• Awards Moderator

IT’S HAPPENING

5F9DEDE2-5DDE-48E6-979F-028CB6FCEFF0.thumb.jpeg.640d1229f1d902c88828723f4b435472.jpeg

US leg early 2023, followed by Europe, followed by more US dates.

They are also playing the UK and Belgium but those dates are being announced later. There are a couple of gaps in early June and early July so I’d guess then.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator