The Springsteen Thread

Frankie Crisp

😄 He does the best driving music. It was early January when I passed my test. I'm a printer for a living and coming out of the factory at half 4, just as the sun had set, it was the perfect soundtrack. 

Then the Born To Run album was the one for the first Summer that I was driving. You've never really driven a car, until you've shouted along to "IT'S A TOWN FULL OF LOSERS, I'M PULLING OUT OF HERE TO WIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!" , as you make the ten minute trip to Morrison's. 

I absolutely adore the solo piano version of The Promise from 18 Tracks. 

"All my life, I fought that fight, The fight that you can't win.                                           Every day it just gets harder to live the dream you're believing in." 

Incredible. 

Massive fan of the Boss.

Seen him live 3 times, twice with the E Street Band and once with the Seeger Sessions band.

I have enjoyed reading the thread and seeing everyone's views on best album etc. For me personally my favourite album is Born In The USA, I do think Magic is very underrated album and I really enjoyed Western Stars. I got Letter To You as a Birthday present last week and I never judge albums on the first listens but I think this one will take multiple listens to fully appreciate, which isn't necessary a bad thing. I will say though that the last 4 songs I really enjoyed.

Echo the previous comments regarding  Ghost Of Tom Joad featuring Tom Morello from High Hopes, it is  a really good version.

Speaking of a good version of a song and featuring Tom Morello...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKtCfZJEtYA

• Paid Members

the only album im overly familiar with in Born in the U.S.A. it was an album played on loop in the car when i was a kid so everytime i hear it it unlocks some kind of childhood nostalgia thing, still listen the album regular. I know its the commercial smash and not really representative of most of his other material but i love it.

I bought the Classic Album Series about 6-7 years ago from ASDA on a whim but have yet to really go in on it. That back catalogue is daunting to dig into.

• Paid Members

I love a good story song and Atlantic City is one of the very best. So vivid and desperate. 

Another Springsteen track that stands out is Brilliant Disguise. 

Paranoia and restlessness in a loveless marriage. It's from the slickly produced 80s era, but I think it makes it all the more devastating. 

34 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Paranoia and restlessness in a loveless marriage. It's from the slickly produced 80s era, but I think it makes it all the more devastating. 

Even more so that it’s his own marriage! I’m a simple Nebraska boy, I love how most Springsteen stuff offers hope regardless of the situation but you get none of that from Nebraska. 

• Paid Members

Nebraska has always been the one for me. My Dad was, and is, a huge Springsteen fan, so I grew up around his music, but always used to find a lot of the E Street Band stuff a bit too bombastic and over-produced, so being able to hear him stripped back to bare bones on Nebraska was when I realised that there was something there beyond Dad Rock.

These days, I'd arguably lean a little more towards Darkness On The Edge of Town, though. It somehow manages to capture the same spirit as Nebraska, even with the bigger production. The title track and Badlands are both masterpieces, and Racing In The Street might be Bruce's all-time best work. To get all that on one album is phenomenal.

Otherwise, as I got over my unfounded E Street prejudice, I've become a huge fan of Jungleland and Thunder Road, and for a deeper cut, I adore Shut Out The Light from Tracks, which I think might be his most underrated song. The River is another favourite that carries a lot of personal significance to me.

Won't have a bad word said against The Boss. 

A perennial favourite, even the lesser albums like Human Touch or High Hopes have at least a couple of good tracks on them. 

As far as a favourite record, it depends. I've been really digging Tunnel of Love (underrated) of late but, all-time has to be either Nebraska or Born to Run. They're miles apart in terms of production and style but they're both just excellent. 

Really, you cannot go wrong with any era of Springsteen. Dylan-inspired New Jersey street poet? Great. Bombastic stadium rocker? Excellent. Introspective and stripped-back singer-songwriter? Love it. 

He's also someone that's still good value. Wrecking Ball, Western Stars and Letter to You have all been enjoyable. 

I've never seen a better live show than him and the E Street Band, either. Saw them a few times between 2009 and 2013, once at the Stadium of Light and twice at Hampden Park and it was mesmerising each time. Obviously they're all accomplished musicians, but how they managed to play 30+ songs, many of them sign requests, for over three hours was impressive to witness. 

5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I was at that Stadium of Light show too! Great night. Closest we've ever been to the front of the crowd, too.

Likewise! Was probably about fifteen rows back and was there with some high school mates so we had a lovely pissed-up night in S*nderland. 

We went absolutely mental for the one-two of Glory Days and Dancing in the Dark during the encore.