General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

They've spent nothing on players so if they get relegated they won't take much of a financial hit. Then they'll be promoted again in a couple of seasons and take a big cash payment again. They don't care.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Cavani to Man Utd is such a Man Utd-type transfer. Apart from Zlatalan, has any beyond-their-best 30+ striker been decent for the them? £350k a week is also madness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54404308

They're not paying that. They're paying more.

It's fine. They can't go on with Ighalo as the reserve striker, at least Cavani will actually effect matches. He'll start cup games and the odd Premier League game but as a back-up, it should work. Even so, Cavani and van der Beek is a terrible transfer window that repairs none of the real problem areas.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They're not paying that. They're paying more.

It's fine. They can't go on with Ighalo as the reserve striker, at least Cavani will actually effect matches. He'll start cup games and the odd Premier League game but as a back-up, it should work. Even so, Cavani and van der Beek is a terrible transfer window that repairs none of the real problem areas.

I hesitate to ask, because I'm really not as in the loop as I should be (that being said I'm having an incredible year of fantasy so far having gone full sabermetic on it) but where are the problem areas for United? 

Wan-Bissaka is England quality, Williams is young and can play across both sides, maybe Alex Telles to bring in for 20 million but it's not a massive issue with Shaw still hobbling around.

Greenwood, Martial and Rashford are great and there's okay depth below that as subs. Bringing in Cavani which is probably a commercial aspect as much as a footballing one and someone young like Van Der Beek to cover Pogba eventually leaving or regressing more, alongside Fernandes and Fred and then two of the best goalkeepers in the league with Romero hilariously still one of the better options in the league third and all that's left is centre back.

Which honestly most clubs seem to be paying over the odds for or being priced out of more than the front line this year.

Maguire if he can get his head on right is okay, Bailly isn't dreadful and I still don't understand the need to ship Smalling off. 

The reason United are getting so much flack isn't that they're negotiating for the wrong positions, it's that they spent all summer spunking up the wall for two players who weren't going to move and have panicked to appease share holders when in reality they would have been better investing in more depth. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I hesitate to ask, because I'm really not as in the loop as I should be (that being said I'm having an incredible year of fantasy so far having gone full sabermetic on it) but where are the problem areas for United? 

Wan-Bissaka is England quality, Williams is young and can play across both sides, maybe Alex Telles to bring in for 20 million but it's not a massive issue with Shaw still hobbling around.

Greenwood, Martial and Rashford are great and there's okay depth below that as subs. Bringing in Cavani which is probably a commercial aspect as much as a footballing one and someone young like Van Der Beek to cover Pogba eventually leaving or regressing more, alongside Fernandes and Fred and then two of the best goalkeepers in the league with Romero hilariously still one of the better options in the league third and all that's left is centre back.

Which honestly most clubs seem to be paying over the odds for or being priced out of more than the front line this year.

Maguire if he can get his head on right is okay, Bailly isn't dreadful and I still don't understand the need to ship Smalling off. 

The reason United are getting so much flack isn't that they're negotiating for the wrong positions, it's that they spent all summer spunking up the wall for two players who weren't going to move and have panicked to appease share holders when in reality they would have been better investing in more depth. 

Where? As soon as United bring on subs or change the team for the shitty League Cup, there's no creativity at all. The squad depth is absolutely appalling. Dan James and Andreas Pereira are two of the worst players I've ever seen in the shirt.

As for the rest of your post, Wan-Bissaka is excellent, certainly, and improving with his forward play. But Maguire is only going to be rescued if he plays with a competent, fast partner. Which United don't have right now unless Solskjaer goes all in with Tuanzebe and see how he goes. Shaw is fat and shit, and Williams might turn out ok but defensively he's got loads of improving to do. People are only retrospectively talking up Smalling because Roma inexplicably want him but their defence is shit too.

Midfield is alright but there's no pace in the holding area and Fred is shit. Plus there's that squad depth. United are about 8 great to good players away (unless they found a few in the U23s) from challenging for the league, and at least 3 or 4 years behind Liverpool.

I don’t know. It’s a mad league. If United unearthed the next Virgil Van Dijk and patched up left back and had a more mobile useful holding mid they could quite reasonably flat track bully themselves in to contention. Granted that’s a big old ‘if’ but if any club has the money and draw it’s United.

Obviously their recruitment set up needs overhauling but look at Everton. Two functional midfielders and a throw of the dice has transformed them. You’d expect them to drop off once James runs out of form but they’ll be many points better off than last season.

• Paid Members

Much appreciated on the full response Devon, I honestly didn't realise that the depth was as bad as you pointed out. I thought a few of those players were actually okay (I may still have the rose tinted glasses on for Dan James) especially Smalling who I've always rated (blame Football Manager for that debacle I guess). 

I did forget about Tuanzebe though, plus there is some youth nearly ready to come through, maybe this is Ole playing a waiting game knowing the best is yet to come. 

@Keith HouchenI couldn't think of a better way to put it. Even saying he's the 2nd or 3rd best right back from his country doesn't sound spectacular but its a strong position for England for sure. 

Edited by Shy Dad