General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t know. It’s a mad league. If United unearthed the next Virgil Van Dijk and patched up left back and had a more mobile useful holding mid they could quite reasonably flat track bully themselves in to contention. Granted that’s a big old ‘if’ but if any club has the money and draw it’s United.

Obviously their recruitment set up needs overhauling but look at Everton. Two functional midfielders and a throw of the dice has transformed them. You’d expect them to drop off once James runs out of form but they’ll be many points better off than last season.

Everton look a goalkeeper and a bit of squad depth off being a sold top 4 contender. A lad I know who supports them said there was talk amongst their fans of the potential of "doing a Leicester", but that is just wishful thinking on their part. Be interesting if they can keep James fit and Calvert-Lewin can carry this form on though...

43 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

@Keith HouchenI couldn't think of a better way to put it. Even saying he's the 2nd or 3rd best right back from his country doesn't sound spectacular but its a strong position for England for sure. 

Haha I knew what you meant. I think he’s quality but “England quality” is underselling him. Jordan Pickford is England quality after all. 

1 hour ago, Cod Eye said:

Everton look a goalkeeper and a bit of squad depth off being a sold top 4 contender. A lad I know who supports them said there was talk amongst their fans of the potential of "doing a Leicester", but that is just wishful thinking on their part. Be interesting if they can keep James fit and Calvert-Lewin can carry this form on though...

We actually have decent depth everywhere except in goal, I'd say. We've been stockpiling attacking mids for years, so while the likes of Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, Sigurdsson, Bolasie weren't good enough as starters to get us above mid-table they do constitute a serviceable roster of back-ups for Richarlison/James/Doucoure behind the striker. We seem to be on the verge of signing Godfrey from Norwich which would give us 4 very decent centre halves with the young Branthwaite behind them and players like Digne and Coleman both having shown themselves capable there in an emergency. Delph, Davies and Gbamin (if he ever resurfaces) is fine cover for Allan and Gomes.

Despite all my Evertonian instincts urging caution we do look a bit dangerous this year. If we sign Romero this week I'll be very optimistic.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t know. It’s a mad league. If United unearthed the next Virgil Van Dijk and patched up left back and had a more mobile useful holding mid they could quite reasonably flat track bully themselves in to contention. Granted that’s a big old ‘if’ but if any club has the money and draw it’s United.

Liverpool have had two fantastic seasons with a comparatively small squad so it *could* be done. But if United get a couple of injuries, then it exposes that squad, unless Solsjkaer digs into the U23s and finds a couple more good 'uns. Which is possible, but I think the fact he hasn't played many of them in the cups could be telling.

Plus, the Glazers have no reason to buy more players. United got in the Champions League and they took one look at the league and realised that we'd have to be REALLY shit not to finish in the top four. We had about 40% of a good season last season and finished third. That's all they need, winning trophies doesn't really equal to that much more revenue.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Plus, the Glazers have no reason to buy more players. United got in the Champions League and they took one look at the league and realised that we'd have to be REALLY shit not to finish in the top four. We had about 40% of a good season last season and finished third. That's all they need, winning trophies doesn't really equal to that much more revenue.

This post aged like protein shake.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, seph said:

This post aged like protein shake.

In what way? This result won't change their mindset at all. It's been on the cards every league game this season and they're buying 34 year old strikers instead of defenders. The Glazers are getting exactly what they want. They won't care a bit about today's result.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

In what way? This result won't change their mindset at all. It's been on the cards every league game this season and they're buying 34 year old strikers instead of defenders. The Glazers are getting exactly what they want. They won't care a bit about today's result.

It's the highest profile kicking in months, the most toothless the squad has looked in months and at a very high profile point in the season. Perhaps "what the Glazers want" could use a bit more elaboration.

The Glazers want top 4 finishes and huge profits but they’ll settle for huge profits. The odd kicking doesn’t and won’t stop that from happening. 

This will be a mad season and could be determined by which team’s players adhere to social distancing for fucks sake. Dominic Calvert Lewin looks like Shearer reborn and Everton are top of the league and the iTunes chart. We’ll see loads of mad results this year.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, seph said:

It's the highest profile kicking in months, the most toothless the squad has looked in months and at a very high profile point in the season. Perhaps "what the Glazers want" could use a bit more elaboration.

Why does it need more elaboration? Isn't it clear what the Glazers want and have got from the club, and will continue to get?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Why does it need more elaboration? Isn't it clear what the Glazers want and have got from the club, and will continue to get?

Profit that is absolute madness to assume will stay exactly at present levels in this current climate? Wait, that requires forward thinking. My mistake.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

The Glazers want top 4 finishes and huge profits but they’ll settle for huge profits. The odd kicking doesn’t and won’t stop that from happening. 

This will be a mad season and could be determined by which team’s players adhere to social distancing for fucks sake. Dominic Calvert Lewin looks like Shearer reborn and Everton are top of the league and the iTunes chart. We’ll see loads of mad results this year.

How did this one age @seph?

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

How did this one age @seph?

Didn't bring your post into question at all.  In fact you and Devon followed your own answers after neither of you particularly needed to, following this - 

1 hour ago, seph said:

Profit that is absolute madness to assume will stay exactly at present levels in this current climate? Wait, that requires forward thinking. My mistake.

Any snappy retorts?

Edited by seph

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I was ripping the piss out of my team getting smashed by Villa nil Immediately after declaring “We’ll see loads of mad results this year”. 

Apologies.