Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 14, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 14, 2025 (edited) I watched them all, including a couple on my birthday because that's how much I hate myself. Nah, actually they were almost all alright. Common People Strong start, if nothing that's not been done before. Really sharp at times on tier subscriptions and impressively bleak. Chris O'Dowd's a pretty good dramatic actor and Rashida Jones is always really good. Bête Noire Standard 'nobody believes me' thriller that's too daft for its own good at the end, but watchable for Rosy McEwen alone. She was amazing in Blue Jean if you're looking for something else to see her in. Hotel Reverie Brooker's inevitable attempt to recapture the San Junipero magic. Never really materialises despite a cute idea. Issa Rae and Emma Corrin don't have the same chemistry but the latter is very good on their own and Harriet Walter's very funny. Plaything Pretty crap and obvious. Can see why this was the shortest one. Eulogy Easily the best one of this series. Black Mirror's much better when it's more of a character study than obsessing over tech. This one is helped by having Paul Giamatti in the lead, obviously, but it's ultimately really lovely. USS Callister - Into Infinity Not a patch on the first one. The tone's all over the place and the story stupidly convoluted but the excellent cast saves it. If Brooker wants to do more of these why not just get Netflix to fund a separate series or something. Usual Black Mirror series, really. A mixed bag. Edited April 14, 2025 by Devon Malcolm Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 14, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 14, 2025 Just three episodes into series 7 of Taskmaster and I think this one's my favourite yet already, probably due to the high level of irritation between everyone and not just because I really fancy Jessica Knappett, honest. I don't think I've ever seen Phil Wang in anything else but he's very funny in this. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 14, 2025 7 is a cracking Dev. I can also highly recommend the outtakes on YouTube for Series 7, buy not until you've watched all of it. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 14, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 14, 2025 2 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: 7 is a cracking Dev. I can also highly recommend the outtakes on YouTube for Series 7, buy not until you've watched all of it. I didn't even know they did outtake packages, cheers! Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted April 14, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 14, 2025 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: I didn't even know they did outtake packages, cheers! No worries buddy. They do outtakes, extended scenes, and for the later series cast interviews where Alex interviews them individually. Definitely don't watch the outtakes or extended bits until after though. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted April 15, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 15, 2025 I love Series 7, the gradually build of Acaster getting pissed off at Rhod is brilliant. Quote
Merzbow Posted April 15, 2025 Posted April 15, 2025 This City is Ours an episode in and they're hitting every gangland cliche and not particularly well, either. It couldn't be more generic if it tried, no idea where the "UK Sopranos" talk has been coming from, Sean Bean seems to be barely trying, too. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted April 15, 2025 Members Posted April 15, 2025 Rewatched This Country for the millionth time (FER FAF FEL) and Fleabag again. I genuinely think the last 5 minutes of that show is up there with my absolute favourites of all time, it's devastating. I wish I was married to Phoebe. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 23, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 23, 2025 Series 8 of Taskmaster is rough, isn't it? Lou Sanders and Paul Sinha are disastrously unfunny, Iain Sterling very annoying and there's no chemistry between any of them. Sian Gibson clearly hates Lou Sanders and it's only really got Joe Thomas going for it. The first one of these I'm waiting impatiently for the end of. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted April 23, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 23, 2025 57 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Series 8 of Taskmaster is rough, isn't it? Lou Sanders and Paul Sinha are disastrously unfunny, Iain Sterling very annoying and there's no chemistry between any of them. Sian Gibson clearly hates Lou Sanders and it's only really got Joe Thomas going for it. The first one of these I'm waiting impatiently for the end of. Yeah the worst by a long stretch (depending on how you take to the COVID series which definitely spoils the vibe). Lou Sanders is the sour note in this I think throwing off the balance. There's a task right near the end with a mobility scooter which is excellent, otherwise a sadly forgettable series. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted April 23, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 23, 2025 I enjoyed the bickering team, but I found Lou Sanders irritating. And something about the duo of Sian and Joe was just endearing to me. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 25, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 Two episodes in to series 9 of Taskmaster and I already love it. Even with David Baddiel in it. I don't know Katy Wix at all but she's awesome. Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted April 25, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: I don't know Katy Wix at all but she's awesome. If you want more content, may I persuade you to watch Lee Mack’s Not Going Out. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 25, 2025 Author Paid Members Posted April 25, 2025 9 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said: If you want more content, may I persuade you to watch Lee Mack’s Not Going Out. You may not! Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted April 25, 2025 Awards Moderator Posted April 25, 2025 2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: Two episodes in to series 9 of Taskmaster and I already love it. Even with David Baddiel in it. I don't know Katy Wix at all but she's awesome. If you want more options for more Katy Wix, there’s Stath Lets Flats or Ghosts, she’s great in both. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.