Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

I'll have to remember that one for Payday. Regeneration 1 is a fascinating read as well. I remember borrowing it from the library. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

As someone who hasn't read any Transformers in nearly 30 years what about it is queer positive? 

A few of the starring cast have romantic relationships, even though they're all referred to as "he". And we find out that a new character introduced in Lost Light as "she" used to be "he" but changed it because "she" just felt right.

• Paid Members
Just now, Ronnie said:

A few of the starring cast have romantic relationships, even though they're all referred to as "he". And we find out that a new character introduced in Lost Light as "she" used to be "he" but changed it because "she" just felt right.

Yeah, exactly this. It opened up a whole new approach to the characters to have genuine relationships developing, and - in a rarity amongst fandoms - it appears the TF fanbase more-or-less went 'yeah, makes total sense, carry on' and it wasn't a big deal. 

Like, I'm sure there was some fuss kicked up somewhere, but it's not been big if so.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Looks like it transforms as well. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

And we find out that a new character introduced in Lost Light as "she" used to be "he" but changed it because "she" just felt right.

FuQZXfa.jpg

I'm going to need to re-read the entire thing again. Just rummaging through them now has brought it all back: the humour, the multi-layered mysteries which pay off over the course of years of careful reading, the intricacies of the writing ... the fact that James Roberts somehow makes us care about no-personality never-weres such as the awful Whirl toy, which looked like an oversized GoBot:

File:G1Whirl boxart.jpg

or faceless filler like one of Blaster's twin cassettes, Rewind:

G1_MadmansParadise_Rewind_inscriptions.j

The whole series (originally More than Meets the Eye, then renamed as Lost Light) is a masterpiece. I don't know when I'm going to find the time to re-read it all but that's a problem for another day. In the meantime, it's well worth spending the £20 just to get this lot (8 volumes of MTMTE, 4 of LL). I've just bought them despite having the trade versions, the hardback ones as part of the rip-off Hachette Partworks Definitive G1 Collection, and the single digital issues I bought at the time, risking some funny looks because it became the highlight of the month to justify a trip to the pub to read it over a few ales. And I'm saying this as somebody who just can't read comics as an adult!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

You appear to have posted in the future:

pqp3VL6.png

I think there was one called TFUKcon this past weekend? I saw some garmentry related to it at work, with a nicely rendered image of Shockwave. 

3 hours ago, BigJag said:

Silly me.

Anyone planning on going? 

Yeah I'll be going. I've had a ticket for this for the past two years now as it's been rolled over due to show being cancelled through the pandemic.

I go to comic cons a lot anyway and being a Transformers fan as well this event is usually a lot of fun.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think there was one called TFUKcon this past weekend? I saw some garmentry related to it at work, with a nicely rendered image of Shockwave. 

I got my conventions mixed up. TFUKcon is on tomorrow in Birmingham. I'm struggling to find out anymore info than that.

It may be an invite only affair. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is possibly going to sound like a bit of a daft question, but is there a recommended order to read the books in that massive Humble Bundle?