Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

I'm watching it again from the start myself. It's been about 20 years so that's nice. The thing that struct me is how wildly inconsistent the animation is. My understanding is that it was animated by two studios. One in Japan and one somewhere else (I forget, Korea maybe?) The Japanese episodes look great but the other animators not so much.

1 hour ago, DEF said:

I'm watching it again from the start myself. It's been about 20 years so that's nice. The thing that struct me is how wildly inconsistent the animation is. My understanding is that it was animated by two studios. One in Japan and one somewhere else (I forget, Korea maybe?) The Japanese episodes look great but the other animators not so much.

It's  Toei for season 1 and 2 and the movie, I think Akon, the guys that animate the Simpsons.. adding in extra episodes. and taking over in season 3 I think. 

Not watched them in ages and not sure if want too as was horrid last time out, only Key to Vector Sigma, War Dawn, Headmasters/Rebirth and Megatrons Masterplan and scant few others holding up. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Spotting the dodgy animation and continuity errors (multiple Starscream's or other jet variants in the same scene for example) is part of the fun for me. 

Yeah like doing that to. It's the overall look of the Akon episodes I guess that are weak.

Love Arrival From Cybertron, Megatrons Master Plan, Rebirth and Key to Vector Sigma myself. Pretty much the ones I had on tape as a kid minus Carnage In C Minor and that other one I forget. I'm only 15 eps in this time around but by and large they all seem to paly pretty well so far. Only do the 1 episode/Story arc at a time mind you. 

I've never watched the Japanese seasons despite having the box set on DVD for close to 20 years so I'm looking forward to that. They are probably mental.

Streaming old cartoons on official YouTube Channels is starting to become a thing. There are some old Real and Extreme Ghostbusters episodes on the Ghostbusters channel too. 

I’m not re-watching G1 Transformers though. Not going to have the time.

11 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fucking hell Roll For It from S1 looks rough. 

Guessing that was a B-team episode. 

Transformers wiki has a very very long article on it https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Roll_for_It

including all the animation errors. I'd assume it was done at speed to get one complete for syndication rather than having qc checks done. 

• Paid Members

Another version of ST Commander. Which is a 3rd party iteration of Prime influenced by a GI Joe vehicle.  There's three versions. One in conventional Prime colours. Another in Army camouflage. And now this version which I guess, is in some way linked to Monkey, from the Monkey Magic series. 

Whilst Googling the images below. A bunch of other variations came up. I'm not sure if they were digibashes or actual recolours. There's one that could easily be a Magnus. Harking back to the original G1 Magnus toy being a white Prime.

1ec92d2836.jpg.71a5f1848213c24f05642a01c4da5da6.jpg

st01b-commander-02.jpg.3f959e91a37ebead2c508e14dfc4e36b.jpg

a3ccfd04e053ed7f9d01c3c5c1a5e97e.png.318120c30cff7f2ba7f219f0be579291.png

That camouflage version is incredible. If I ever come across one in a shop. It'll be added to my small collection very quickly. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Is there a reason Hasbro don't kick off about third party stuff? Usually IP is everything to a company and seeing as they don't refer to 'transforming' in TF media now to retain their trademark I would think they'd be bloody livid about all this stuff.

• Paid Members

It is strange that these 3rd party efforts are seemingly allowed. I have read that a few places have been raided and shut down.  I guess as most of these companies are based in the orient. Hasbro/Takara don't have the power to have them shut down. 

The design skill and ingenuity shown by the people that make these is of a very high level. They have progressed from just producing direct copies of Hasbro/Takara designs. There's a good chance that some prominent designers are involved. That may also explain why It's allowed to carry on.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
On 9/21/2021 at 8:03 PM, The King Of Swing said:

Fucking hell Roll For It from S1 looks rough. 

Guessing that was a B-team episode. 

Never seen Five Faces Of Darkness?