The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

I think the snarky, insider stuff is just the fuel the business feeds off. Nothings really changed.

If anything, I think we’re starting to see signs that the new leadership - in WWE/TKO at least - might be learning how to pull the press’ plonker a bit to manipulate crowd reaction, which could be a positive sign.

But, circling back to Punk, he’s a victim of it now. He may have been one of the first in the modern era to really harness the power of poking through the fourth wall, but it’s biting him on his arse a bit now.

There’s a lot of people who’ll say things like ‘no interest to be honest, he showed in AEW what he’s really like’. But he didn’t, really. We think he did because that’s what we heard, but again it’s just that insider rumour mill that cooked that goose. He didn’t show us anything besides some great feuds, a lack of commitment to personal hygiene at times and inability to stay healthy. But no one says ‘I don’t want Punk back because his beard sometimes looks like it smells of Fisherman’s Friends’ or ‘I don’t want Punk back because he’s injury prone’.

That insider stuff still keeps people hooked in wrestling. Which is why I’m fairly sure the Seth/Punk stuff could be terrible.

”I COULD BEAT YOU WITH ONE ARM TIED BEHIND MY BACK PHILIP”

”I COULD BEAT YOU WITH A STAPH INFECTION… WHICH IS LUCKY”

Blegh.

Let’s just skip to Punk/Logan Paul please.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I remember the summer of 2011 where Raw was endless convoluted worked shoot pipebomb bollocks from CM Punk but then on Smackdown you had Mark Henry doing the Hall of Pain story and it was just pure, simple brilliant proper pro wrestling stuff producing some of the best and most gripping telly in ages. Sigh.

Smackdown also had the Christian vs Randy Orton feud at the time which I'd genuinely have as one of my favourite WWE feuds ever.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I remember the summer of 2011 where Raw was endless convoluted worked shoot pipebomb bollocks from CM Punk

48 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The reason the original "Pipebomb" promo worked wasn't just the novelty of CM Punk "shooting", it was because all of that was threaded into an excellent promo that actually sold his match with John Cena, and was still from the established point-of-view of the CM Punk character, not "this is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Levesque" stuff. It added intrigue to the match at Money In The Bank, and that match played into everything established by the promo.

Yeah. I sidestep "worked shoot" in the context of that promo because an awful lot of what he said wasn't so much a worked shoot as how he really felt. Wrestling is best when you believe it's real, and Punk's grievances were. Likewise the match was so special because the intrigue that played into it, of "is he staying and signing a new deal or is he leaving?" Because that was real too.

• Paid Members
On 11/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Anyone that thought Punk was coming back needs their head examined. Of course If I’m wrong about that I’ll issue a full apology first thing the Sunday morning

cm punk wwe GIF

Still waiting.

• Paid Members

There's definitely no way that Punk's coming back and not doing a certain amount of worked shoot stuff. Because that's just what wrestling is now, it can't do feuds or storylines without underpinning it with 'real life' shit. In this case, it's impossible to avoid that because Punk the person and Punk the performer are so intrinsically linked because of how verbal he has been about his experiences with wrestling. I don't personally care for it and I never have and Punk's good enough on the mic not to need it but it's unavoidable. And if he doesn't lean into it, we'll all be here tomorrow morning going, "Well.... is that it?!"

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

cm punk wwe GIF

Still waiting.

I was going to make a comment about spending all morning searching the forum for these comments, but then I remembered how hard it is to search the UKFF, even with Google, and I think you've already served your punishment.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Wrestling is best when you believe it's real

I think I'll have to disagree with that. None of my favourite stories, feuds, matches or angles have had any worked shoot stuff in them. I don't really like the real life blending in at all. When it comes to wrestling I basically want a compelling and exciting complete work of fiction with a beginning, middle and end. When they start incorporating real life stuff in it for I find it removes the escapism element of it - which is what I watch wrestling for in the first place. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Already said it in the PPV thread, but to keep your Majesty happy…

Well bugger me. 
I’ll admit when I’m wrong and it just goes to show “anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation”

You know what? I actually clocked that in that thread and didn't put 2 and 2 together that it was from the same source as the "head examined" stance in this thread. Probably because it was in a different thread.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

I was going to make a comment about spending all morning searching the forum for these comments, but then I remembered how hard it is to search the UKFF, even with Google, and I think you've already served your punishment.

Ha! No, I just had to go back a couple of extra pages, I knew everything said that deserved a needle was in this thread.

My punishment came 7 years ago when Rock/Rowan got me squarely in the credibility for my previous six months of "Rock won't wrestle at Mania, lads - he's finished." This was catharsis!

Although not to play down my own love of a bit of bluster.... no amount of "I told you so" could actually feel better than - you know - the buzz of seeing the bloke actually come back.

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I think I'll have to disagree with that. None of my favourite stories, feuds, matches or angles have had any worked shoot stuff in them.

OK, so maybe I worded it poorly.... you believe it's real and it's real don't have to be the same. So most of the best stuff is the worked issues and storylines, agreed. The "worked shoot" stuff is usually absolute shite because it's poorly handled. Matt Hardy going out and saying shit like "Lita was "married" to Kane on TV but Amy Dumas came home every night to me." OK, so the previous fake wrestling matches were all pretend but the fake wrestling matches you're about to have with Edge are real? Yeah, fuck off.

I think of the Punk stuff as a one off. He didn't cut a "worked shoot" promo about feeling aggrieved that John Cena was perceived as better than him, although he personally liked him more than most of the locker room. He was telling his truth. It's the difference between a "worked shoot" and, umm, a shoot. "Punk's pissed off and he's probably leaving" was all real. "We don't know if he's leaving or not" was all real. So, personally, I was buzzing all day the day after the PPV to be able to watch it and find out what was going to happen, not realizing (like most of us didn't) that he came to terms on and signed a deal to stay that afternoon.

But I know what you mean, and it's not quite the same as watching not knowing which of your favourite characters in the Netflix show is going to kill the other because one is on the fence about signing on for next year rather than because that's the story they want to tell.

Edited by air_raid

2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Smackdown also had the Christian vs Randy Orton feud at the time which I'd genuinely have as one of my favourite WWE feuds ever.

It's such an underrated feud, and the matches they had hold up brilliantly. Tony Khan received a lot of stick for how he hyped up Christian's signing to AEW, but he's been proven right on pretty much everything he said. It's hard to dispute how important he is to that company. Christian really has proven how underrated he was. 

Edited by RedRooster

42 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

It's such an underrated feud, and the matches they had hold up brilliantly. Tony Khan received a lot of stick for how he hyped up Christian's signing to AEW, but he's been proven right on pretty much everything he said. It's hard to dispute how important he is to that company. Christian really has proven how underrated he was. 

Also, most people forget that Christian defeated Randy Orton to win the World Heavyweight Championship on THAT Money in the Bank PPV in Chicago.

Edited by Version1.0

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I think I'll have to disagree with that. None of my favourite stories, feuds, matches or angles have had any worked shoot stuff in them. I don't really like the real life blending in at all. When it comes to wrestling I basically want a compelling and exciting complete work of fiction with a beginning, middle and end. When they start incorporating real life stuff in it for I find it removes the escapism element of it - which is what I watch wrestling for in the first place. 

Agreed. Believable and real are two very different things. I could believe the Macho King hated the Ultimate Warrior, and wanted to beat him so bad he was happy to put his career on the line; I couldn't care less if Randall Poffo was going to have a great match with Jim the face-painted loose cannon. In fact, if you have to make it real to get the heat you want, I'd say you suck at wrestling. What applies to strikes applies to the mic.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

Also, most people forget that Christian defeated Randy Orton to win the World Heavyweight Championship on THAT Money in the Bank PPV in Chicago.

The best non-pinfall title change through bastard manipulation of special rules since Province De Quebec in 1993.

My only minor quibble with that feud was that they recycled the finish of Christian springboarding into an RKO for both of the switches from him to Orton, one on SmackDown and one involving the steps at SummerSlam.