The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, AshC said:

No idea what they cut out, but it totally worked as an hour show.

Always the way.

The thing people seem to gloss over when they discuss how stale the format is and how three hours is far too long, is that the show is ridiculously padded out with “coming up later” bumpers that frustrate the viewer when they’re told three times about something they won’t see for another two hours, or worse still “earlier tonight” segments, sometimes more than once, and often referring to an angle that set up a match we again won’t see for another hour or two. We KNOW what happened earlier, we watched it!! It’s so padded out, it’s insane. When the show was one hour or a tight 2 hours, there was hardly any of the incessant replaying what had happened or babbling about what’s going to happen, it was just the events happening. You’d get a 5 second match graphic and “coming up next” when they went to ad break, which is logical, but otherwise it was wall to wall matches, angles and interviews without wasting half your time with previews or reflection. Worst of all when I was last regularly watching, you’d have this tedious padding of the show out to ensure they could fill three hours…. then it would run long. Further intensifying the feeling of “I wish this would just finish” that used to happen without the luxury of a FF button.

In an ideal world no standard episode of TV wrestling should be longer than an hour. But then the Americans seem to have an insane amount of patience. The NHL seems to have 200 games a season and NFL games go on for fucking years and most of that seems to be talking. Then there's their network TV series that go on for half the bloody year. 

They're like the first time you have a marathon sex session and you're really proud of yourself but the person you're with lost interest half an hour ago and faked it three times in the hope you'd get the hint. 

On 1/19/2022 at 5:24 PM, Supremo said:

Just in case anyone isn’t aware, there’s absolutely no need to watch Raw or Smackdown because the best Royal Rumble build up by miles is on Johnny Knoxville’s Instagram.

They’ve lost their minds if they aren’t even considering making him the winner.

I'm thinking they'll put together some kind of crazy stunt elimination for him. Big enough to get mainstream attention hopefully, which would tie in to the Jackass movie promo.

• Paid Members
On 1/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, Vamp said:

In an ideal world no standard episode of TV wrestling should be longer than an hour.

Depends. If you’ve got a roster like WCW in 97 or the WWF in 2000 and it’s structured properly, 2 hours flies by. But comparing those rosters to today is like comparing prime rib to polystyrene.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:18 PM, Vamp said:

In an ideal world no standard episode of TV wrestling should be longer than an hour.

All the wrestling shows were an hour long back in the day and it always seemed sufficient.  Although you had to watch around 3 different shows to keep up with the storylines.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Perry said:

All the wrestling shows were an hour long back in the day and it always seemed sufficient.  Although you had to watch around 3 different shows to keep up with the storylines.

I wonder if similar would work now? Say the WWE cut Raw and Smackdown to 90 minutes each, and added a third show as a bridge on a Wednesday(main show, not development). they would be losing an hour of ads, but would it make the shows seem more attractive to viewers and improve the figures enough to offset it(I might be wrong, but doesn't the viewership drop anyway in Raw's third hour)? I suppose the concern would be over saturation...

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s a crying shame this lad came about in the era where nothing matters and no-one gets over.

He's the business isn't he? Ridiculously athletic, comfortable on the mic. There isn't much he can't do. The height he reaches is utterly mesmerising. 

• Paid Members

I’m always hearing a lot about Montez. I feel sorry for the other one, I give it six months before a heel starts referring to him as the Marty Jannetty of the team in an “edgy worked shoot” piece of bullshit scripting.

• Paid Members

In any other company or at any other time Montez would be the most exciting prospect in the business today. His mix of charisma and athleticism is ridiculous. It’s a genuine tragedy that you know exactly how his career is going to go and how he’s not going to achieve anything close to what he could do.

I watched last night’s show to hopefully get in the mood for the Rumble. Brock in a cowboy hat was by far the highlight. Best thing they ever did was start allowing him to dress himself. What a man.

Also, huge shout out to Tamina, starting her Royal Rumble promo with, “I’ve been here for too long…” Agreed.

But yeah. It’s a real indicator of how ice cold they are that not even the Rumble is generating any type of buzz. Even with the growing rumours that Ronda is returning, nobody seems to give a shit. Someone needs to do something. We need a hero.

CB37E83B-CD6F-4645-B716-389542EBC8EB.jpeg.f6a4212d49d88e096d15580a03ae9f02.jpeg

@tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Another thing that I feel cannot be overstated about Montez Ford is that he comes across as cool, natural, and charismatic even when forced to deliver some of the worst WWE-penned comedy imaginable. There was a stretch when they just had the Street Profits doing promos about other people's matches, and they were all terribly written attempts to sound cool, yet he was still compelling in that environment. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Also, huge shout out to Tamina, starting her Royal Rumble promo with, “I’ve been here for too long…” Agreed.

🤣😂😆