The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

We're gonna get Dragunov and Walter in the RAW semi and I cannot wait.

I started getting “Hmm, it’s getting a bit too Progress around here” vibes and I can see I’m not the only one.

• Paid Members
On 5/1/2024 at 9:27 AM, Supremo said:

Anyway, best thing on this whole show was the ghost of Paul London.

That bump only works if they're hit with something that looks like it could genuinely turn a human being inside out. An enormous clothesline from a freak like Gene Snitsky works. A slow, weak as piss boot from The Miz? Absolutely not. That looked awful. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

That bump only works if they're hit with something that looks like it could genuinely turn a human being inside out. An enormous clothesline from a freak like Gene Snitsky works. A slow, weak as piss boot from The Miz? Absolutely not. That looked awful. 

Fond memories of when Fatu used to take his trademark "getting turned inside out" sell all the bloody time. When I saw him do it against Diesel at (IIRC) Survivors 94 - a masterpiece of a build job for Kev, that one - it was 100% fit for purpose. Over the years to come, seeing him do it when nailed by runner beans like Greenwich snob Helmsley shattered suspension of disbelief - it's like "OK, it's a sell that he likes to do."

See also : Dean Malenko loves getting inverted-suplexed, Eddy Guerrero WILL insist you launch him over your head when he's running, so he can face bump on a turnbuckle.

As an aside : King & Queen Of The Ring sounds more of a wedding PPV than The Match Made In Heaven did!

Edited by air_raid
He woo'd directly into a blind grandmothers face.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’s a funny old business. It was only a few weeks ago that AEW felt like the desperate, petty losers, unable to let go of Brawl In. Pathetic rah rah speeches from
Adam Copeland and - what at the time felt like the dumbest idea ever - airing the footage.

However, fast forward a few weeks and AEW have managed to spin a pretty great angle out of it with The Elite, using it to bring Jack Perry back with a new character, who’s thus far really impressed in the role. His promos have improved massively. He’s a great little shit.

By contrast, CM Punk is still trying to make references to the fight on WWE TV and is still getting zero reaction every single time. “I’m a different type of choke artist, right Pat? Pat? Get it? Right?” Crickets. Tragic. Terrible line that underpinned a pretty crap promo. Are we ready to admit yet that for as good as Drew vs. Punk has been, it’s been Drew that’s mostly carried it?

Come on now, it was a throwaway comment and it's not like he plucked it out of nowhere. He wouldn't have said that had the footage not aired, so it's not a case of him 'still' doing anything. I'm surprised such an innocuous line led to three paragraphs about AEW in a WWE Raw thread. 

Punk mentioning Glasgow off mic suggests that’s where they’re going to eventually do the match.

As much as I'd love that, I think it's more likely that we get Priest vs. McIntyre for the World title, with them holding off on Punk/McIntyre until Summerslam. I hope I'm wrong of course, but the international events - so far - have been treated like B-level PPVs, with matches that are just about big enough to ensure fans go home happy. McIntyre challenging for the World title more than fits that criteria in Glasgow. 

Makes sense, but I’m still hoping Punk is announced for King & Queen of the Ring. Punk sucking a hypocritical blood money covered dick in Saudi will be the greatest night in the history of our great sport.

Wrestlers have been able to withdraw from the Saudi event ever since it began, and presumably things aren't any different now. That said, would it really give you that much pleasure to see a relative stranger put into a position where he could be accused of hypocrisy? I've no doubt there's a bit of hyperbole going on here, but you're a tremendous poster, and it's a bit of a shame for you to be riled up by something to the point you feel this way. 

Maybe I'm just a sensitive wee soul and maybe I'm being unfair to suggest this, but I find the undercurrent of AEW vs. WWE that has seeped into the wrestling pages of these forums a little draining. 

Edited by RedRooster

Yeah hypocrisy is hardly anything new in wrestling. If all the wrestlers who said they were 'never going back to WWE' never went back the wrestling business would look a lot different.

Same for any wrestler who tries to moralise and be holier than thou. It means they could never work WWE, AEW, ROH, several promotions in the UK, anywhere in Mexico and most promotions in Japan.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As much as I'd love that, I think it's more likely that we get Priest vs. McIntyre for the World title, with them holding off on Punk/McIntyre until Summerslam. I hope I'm wrong of course, but the international events - so far - have been treated like B-level PPVs, with matches that are just about big enough to ensure fans go home happy. McIntyre challenging for the World title more than fits that criteria in Glasgow. 

This is my bet. Although McIntyre going for the belt in Glasgow will make it far more than B-level for Glasgow. I imagine he'll win, too. That graphic that included Drew vs Punk and Priest vs Balor for SummerSlam, I buy as "the plan."

Damian Priest... eesh. It's not for me, Bob. 

Thought Judgment Day looked great as a group, but Priest doesn't stand out as the star of the four particularly and I'd rather they just decided to swap Sami and Priest's belts around.

11 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Thought Judgment Day looked great as a group, but Priest doesn't stand out as the star of the four particularly and I'd rather they just decided to swap Sami and Priest's belts around.

Honestly, I think they'd have been better off having Dom win the MITB; or in transitioning the briefcase onto him. Maybe Judgement Day could have declared it as 'their' briefcase that any one of them could use at any given time, to add an extra layer of danger...whatever the case, Dominic as an out-of-his-depth World Champion would have been much more fun than Priest - building up to McIntyre smashing the piss out of him in Glasgow. Priest is a perfectly acceptable mid-to-upper carder, but it's been a while since Raw had a World Champion that felt this weak. 

I don't know who's idea it was, but they deserve all the money and cuddles for making the backstage environment feel like a live, dynamic, 3 dimensional workplace for 3 dimensional characters.

It's the best thing about WWE at the minute. The backstage isn't just for set pieces, if we're going back there, we're getting a peek behind the curtain at how that world works (in kayfabe terms). It's not all setpieces, meticulously set up to only show us what we need to see.

I loved Drew leaving, Punk arriving, Punk sending Pearce to put his music on and just casually walking past Chad Gable giving his team a bollocking.

It's good stuff.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

We're gonna get Dragunov and Walter in the RAW semi and I cannot wait.

GUNTHER

That RAW was always going to feel like a comedown after the French, although I imagine some people were happy with less chanting about 2.

Only thing I can really say is something I always feel - I wish KOTR was a one night tournament. There's something special about the energy of having to go through battle after battle and the stories you can tell through the exhaustion. I get why they want more content out of it but I do miss it being that way.

Edited by DavidB6937
Hit that post too quickly damnit

Posted (edited)

Oh, I forgot. Shitty promo from Punk. Completely lost the crowd halfway through. You could literally see them walking off for a piss.

He's in such a weird spot, as people seem to love the idea of him but don't really stick with it when he grabs the mic. It's as if his brand of grievance and snark isn't built for the sunlit uplands of WWE in 2024.

I think he needs less mic time and more opportunities to be a cheeky scamp, winding Drew up and only doing short promos.

The extended shite bombs are out of date, I think.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

you can't really coast on being the anti-authority guy who speaks truth to power when everybody's queuing up to tell the authority how amazing they are and what a great job they're doing.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Maybe I'm just a sensitive wee soul and maybe I'm being unfair to suggest this, but I find the undercurrent of AEW vs. WWE that has seeped into the wrestling pages of these forums a little draining. 

Couldn’t agree more with this. Why not just enjoy what you enjoy, whether AEW or WWE, and if you don’t enjoy it on a regular basis, like some that post their reviews on a weekly basis, turn it off, and take a break for a while. I’m sure there are more efficient ways to consume your time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Wrestlers have been able to withdraw from the Saudi event ever since it began, and presumably things aren't any different now. That said, would it really give you that much pleasure to see a relative stranger put into a position where he could be accused of hypocrisy? I've no doubt there's a bit of hyperbole going on here, but you're a tremendous poster, and it's a bit of a shame for you to be riled up by something to the point you feel this way. 

C'mon, man. Half of Supremo's posts are hyperbole. His over the top reactions, enthusiasm and energy are what make him such a fun poster and the best person on here. I highly doubt he genuinely cares or is hugely emotionally engaged with whether or not Punk actually wrestles in Saudi other than it'll make him laugh.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Gunther and Sheamus was great, but between the ad breaks and seemingly being rushed off the air, it felt like they didn’t get anywhere close to what this could have been. They continue to have amazing chemistry. Sheamus’ milk white skin was built for the marks Gunther’s chops leave. Still think this should have been on Backlash. Imagine the response!

Is Gunther still not allowed to leave the US for visa reasons? Assuming that's why it wasn't on Backlash if so, and maybe saving his big European return for the show in Berlin in the summer? If he was able to travel it seems odd they didn't have it on the PPV.