Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What did she think of it? It's always interesting when someone watches something so long after and seeing how they react to it. As you say, I don't think it gets any easier with time and it still hits hard so I do think it has stood the test of time for sure.

She thought it was brilliant, but incredibly bleak, to the point that we had to watch a couple of episodes of King Of The Hill afterwards just so it wasn't the last thing we watched before bed. 

She had heard plenty about it being the bleakest thing you'll ever see, and knew the general vibe, but knew nothing about the overall plot or anything, and was absolutely hooked by it. We watched When The Wind Blows a few months back, so I suppose she was already somewhat attuned to bleak Yorkshire nuclear catastrophe movies!

She didn't necessarily get that it's all about the various threads that hold society together falling apart, to the point that by the end even language is failing them, but was really invested in the human side of it - she hated Jimmy, but got very emotional about Ruth keeping his bird book with her the whole time.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Saw One Battle After Another in IMAX last night and I loved it. Absolutely breezes past for its runtime, we were walking to the bus and my wife was already looking up times to go see it again, unheard of for a movie with a nearly 3hr runtime. I think it's pretty easily the best film of the year.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

She thought it was brilliant, but incredibly bleak, to the point that we had to watch a couple of episodes of King Of The Hill afterwards just so it wasn't the last thing we watched before bed. 

She had heard plenty about it being the bleakest thing you'll ever see, and knew the general vibe, but knew nothing about the overall plot or anything, and was absolutely hooked by it. We watched When The Wind Blows a few months back, so I suppose she was already somewhat attuned to bleak Yorkshire nuclear catastrophe movies!

She didn't necessarily get that it's all about the various threads that hold society together falling apart, to the point that by the end even language is failing them, but was really invested in the human side of it - she hated Jimmy, but got very emotional about Ruth keeping his bird book with her the whole time.

If you're looking for any other bleak nuclear movies I'd highly recommend Testament, which I think could be even more depressing than Threads. Miracle Mile is also a very good one and certainly the only film about a nuclear apocalypse that starts out as a romcom.

  • Paid Members
Posted

we watched Miracle Mile as part of a film group chat thing a few months back, and didn't even realise what it was about, so that was a rollercoaster.

Posted
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

She thought it was brilliant, but incredibly bleak, to the point that we had to watch a couple of episodes of King Of The Hill afterwards just so it wasn't the last thing we watched before bed. 

She had heard plenty about it being the bleakest thing you'll ever see, and knew the general vibe, but knew nothing about the overall plot or anything, and was absolutely hooked by it. We watched When The Wind Blows a few months back, so I suppose she was already somewhat attuned to bleak Yorkshire nuclear catastrophe movies!

She didn't necessarily get that it's all about the various threads that hold society together falling apart, to the point that by the end even language is failing them, but was really invested in the human side of it - she hated Jimmy, but got very emotional about Ruth keeping his bird book with her the whole time.

A friend of mine at work told me she was watching "Halloween films" in the run up to Halloween and listed off some not-horror movies but "scary" movies. I asked her if she'd ever watched Threads, which prompted a conversation about nuclear apocalypse movies like that and When the Wind Blows. She'd heard of Threads but not Wind Blows, so I stuck the trailer on. Fuck, even two minutes of it is enough to make you contemplate your future. Excellent pair of films, though!

Posted

On a total run of war movies just now. In the last 2 weeks I've seen The Hurt Locker, Warfare, Mosul, Sand Castle, Tunnel Rats and Black Hawk Down. I've got Full Metal Jacket on the to-do list. Any recommendations for other modern (post 1980 made) war movies? Preferably mostly covering liver operations. 

  • Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, Richie Freebird said:

On a total run of war movies just now. In the last 2 weeks I've seen The Hurt Locker, Warfare, Mosul, Sand Castle, Tunnel Rats and Black Hawk Down. I've got Full Metal Jacket on the to-do list. Any recommendations for other modern (post 1980 made) war movies? Preferably mostly covering liver operations. 

I'm sorry I don't know what liver operations are, but Saving Private Ryan, Tigerland, The Thin Red Line, All Quiet On The Western Front, Jarhead, Three Kings all great in my opinion.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Richie Freebird said:

On a total run of war movies just now. In the last 2 weeks I've seen The Hurt Locker, Warfare, Mosul, Sand Castle, Tunnel Rats and Black Hawk Down. I've got Full Metal Jacket on the to-do list. Any recommendations for other modern (post 1980 made) war movies? Preferably mostly covering liver operations. 

I really liked We Were Soldiers.

And Dunkirk and 1917 are both fab. Dunkirk probably favourite Nolan movie.

 

Posted
54 minutes ago, Richie Freebird said:

Any recommendations for other modern (post 1980 made) war movies? Preferably mostly covering liver operations. 

Schindler’s Cyst?

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm sorry I don't know what liver operations are, but Saving Private Ryan, Tigerland, The Thin Red Line, All Quiet On The Western Front, Jarhead, Three Kings all great in my opinion.

Not a typical war movie, but I very much enjoy Civil War from last year. The spin off from this year, not as much.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Dead Presidents and Enemy at the Gates are great. The Covenant and Greyhound were pretty good, too. And Dunkirk, one of Chris Nolan's two good films.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Went to see Spinal Tap II the other night and eh, it was alright I guess. The YouTube algorithm showed me the Mark Kermode review of it this morning and his thoughts basically mirrored mine - not a patch on the original, not as bad as I'd feared it could be, but ultimately it was just nice to spend some time with those characters on the big screen. Very little in it as good as the vignettes that were inserted into the oft-forgotten The Return of Spinal Tap concert film, though. 

 

 

 

Posted
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

All Quiet On The Western Front

The 2022 version is heartbreaking. Incredible film, I need to watch it again

12 hours ago, Richie Freebird said:

 Any recommendations for other modern (post 1980 made) war movies? 

Fury and Hacksaw Ridge for WW2, Tears Of The Sun, Lone Survivor and, in a similar vein, Triple Frontier on Netflix is really good and I've watched it a few times although it's not really a war film a such but the combat sequences are really well done. It's basically Three Kings but grittier. Actually, watch Three Kings while you're at it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...