Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 I like Powell too but Edgar Wright has only made 3 good films and that includes a Sparks documentary. I'm not hopeful. Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 I’d consider The Running Man one of the rarer instances of a film being better than the book as well. Not convinced by it being based on the book, or how they’d realistically do the 9/11 style plane into a building ending. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said: I absolutely love The Running Man. One of Arnie’s best and still incredibly relevant today. Theres an Edgar Wright remake being released in November that I expect I won’t like at all. Glen Powell (who I’m unfamiliar with) steps into the Ben Richards role while Killian is being played by Josh Brolin. Yeh, I've had a lot of casting emails come in from that - it seemed to be taking them a lot longer to cast than usual. Didn't like the sound of it. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 11, 2025 Members Posted March 11, 2025 6 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Yeh, I've had a lot of casting emails come in from that - it seemed to be taking them a lot longer to cast than usual. Didn't like the sound of it. Shame, I'd have loved to have seen your performance as Buzzsaw. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 1 minute ago, SuperBacon said: Shame, I'd have loved to have seen your performance as Buzzsaw. Hell, I'd have loved to be in which a chance of that. As it is, they didn't want to see any of the artists I put forward. Unfortunately, the industry's in a slump, and my company's a minnow, meaning I can't buy a guess at the moment. And American casting houses just work by their own arbitrary fucking rules. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 Edgar Wright has lost his mojo big time and I don't think Glen Powell has the juice that a leading man needs. If it's based more on the book then that's even less interesting because the book isn't very good. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Edgar Wright has lost his mojo big time and I don't think Glen Powell has the juice that a leading man needs. If it's based more on the book then that's even less interesting because the book isn't very good. I thought he was great in Hitman and Twisters last year. @Devon Malcolm dare I ask which 2 Edgar Wright films? For me I love Shaun, Fuzz and yes, I know, but loved Scott Pilgrim, and obviously the Sparks Brothers is great. The others I like but Worlds End I’ve only watched the once because I really didn’t like it. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said: I like but Worlds End I’ve only watched the once because I really didn’t like it. Re-watched this at the weekend and it's a real film of two halves. I like the first half a lot and really could take or leave the second half. It's noticeably not as funny as Shaun or Hot Fuzz overall. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 Worlds End is a load of old arse, as is Scott Pilgrim. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted March 11, 2025 Moderators Posted March 11, 2025 I liked Baby Driver. Not enough to watch it again or remember anything about it, but enough that I enjoyed it at the time. Also I definitely would watch Last Night in Soho, I just haven't got around to it yet. Quote
Paid Members mim731 Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 I thought Last Night in Soho was utter bobbins. All style and no substance. I really liked Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver, although the latter feels a bit tainted by Kevin Spacey like most films he appears in. Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead were both tremendous, but Worlds End was middling at best. Can't really see his version of The Running man being to my taste, but I'm very open to being wrong. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim, but it didn't hold up to re-watches all that well. Almost every single character in it, including Scott himself, is a massive douchebag. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 13 minutes ago, Carbomb said: I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim, but it didn't hold up to re-watches all that well. Almost every single character in it, including Scott himself, is a massive douchebag. It is, but then that’s the same argument with the source material. So in that regard it’s a faithful adaptation. I did enjoy the Netflix sequel series as well, for different reasons. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 11, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2025 36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said: @Devon Malcolm dare I ask which 2 Edgar Wright films? For me I love Shaun, Fuzz and yes, I know, but loved Scott Pilgrim, and obviously the Sparks Brothers is great. The others I like but Worlds End I’ve only watched the once because I really didn’t like it. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz for me too, but even those two I don't really love. Spaced is still easily the best thing he's ever done. Quote
davertfnewman Posted March 11, 2025 Posted March 11, 2025 The Running Man works because Richard Dawson was a sleazy game show host playing a sleazy game show host. "You look pissed, Ben." Yeah, no shit(!). Great film, saw it as a kid and loved it. Works well because it's divided up into sequences, same with Predator and the guys getting killed off one-by-one. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.